Lightweight Backpacking: Stove Systems

Introduction

White Box Alcohol Stove
White Box stove

Building on my earlier posts about lightweight shelters, sleeping bags, and backpacks, we'll now discuss the pros and cons of different lightweight backpacking stoves and how to think about stoves and cooking from the perspective of a lightweight backpacker.

A gear system is a group of items organized around a particular function, such as cooking. For example, a lightweight stove system can include items that serve multiple functions at the same time, like a windscreen that also serves as a pot stand.

Using a single piece of gear for multiple purposes is one of the cornerstones of lightweight backpacking and it's helpful to start thinking this way if you're assembling a new stove system.

It's important not to get too carried away with gear weight, especially with a survival item like a stove. There are other variables to consider including fuel availability, safety, boil times, and cost that are just as important and can trump gear weight.

Finally, I describe how to select a stove for one person in three-season conditions, excluding winter. While some of the stoves and stove systems I mention below can be used to cook for multiple people or to melt snow for drinking water, those topics are beyond the scope of this article.

Compactness

The compactness of backpacking gear is often overlooked by hikers getting into lightweight backpacking. Gear that's compressible or compact is important because you can reduce the size and weight of your backpack. It's another reason why you want to get a more compact shelter and a highly compressible down sleeping bag or quilt.

Jetboil Flash Camping Stove
Jetboil Flash

Having a compact stove system can be more important than how much it weighs, since you can save more weight by carrying a smaller backpack than you'd ever save by carrying the lightest possible stove system.

The ideal stove system is one that takes up the least amount of space in your pack and fits together like nested Russian dolls. This isn't always achievable, but it can be a useful goal for choosing between different stoves and cooking gear. This strategy eliminates most white gas stoves for lightweight backpacking because they are not compact.

Some backpacking stoves, like the Jetboil Flash (MSRP $99.95), include integrated pots, cups, or fuel bottles. This can be valuable because it all fits together in a compact system that doesn't take up much backpack space.

The only downside to an all-in-one option is if you want to mix and match different components with different stoves depending on the location or season.

Cooking Styles

Lightweight backpackers tend to eat very simple meals. Breakfast can involve boiling water for coffee or tea and making instant oatmeal. Lunch is rarely cooked, while dinner is usually a freezer bag meal or a simple one-pot meal.

Food Dehydrator
Food dehydrator

Freezer bag cooking is a style of food preparation where hikers premix dehydrated foods, made at home or purchased in bulk, in one-quart Ziploc bags before they go on a trip. To cook a meal, boil water, pour it directly into the bag, and wait ten minutes for the food to rehydrate. This reduces the amount of trash hikers need to pack out.

The other common cooking style is a one-pot meal based around soup and a staple like ramen noodles or couscous. These meals require some simmering but are easy to make quickly without a lot of cleanup.

Both styles of cooking eliminate the need for extra dishware and cups because all meals are eaten directly from the cook pot or a plastic bag. While this eliminates some gear weight, it mostly eliminates bulk from your stove system.

Cook Pots

Lightweight backpackers rarely carry cups or dishes and only bring one cook pot on trips. While there are a lot of different camping pots and pans on the market, many lightweight hikers buy Snow Peak or Evernew titanium pots or make homemade cook pots from 24-ounce Heineken cans.

Snow Peak Trek 700 Cooking Pot
Snow Peak Trek 700 pot

Here are some guidelines to help you narrow your search for the perfect lightweight cook pot.

• If weight is important to you, buy a titanium cook pot. It is more durable than aluminum and 50 percent lighter than steel.
  • Pots with folding handles eliminate the need to carry pot grippers, a cup, or a bowl.
  • Pot lids with small vents at the top help prevent boil overs.
  • Get a pot sized between 700 ml and one liter. This will let you boil three to four cups of water, which is sufficient for a hot meal and a drink.
  • Avoid pots with non-stick coatings. If you store all of your other cooking gear inside your pot, it is going to take a beating and wreck the coating.
  • The bottom of your pot should be wider than the flame on your stove. This improves the efficiency of your burn.

Lightweight Backpacking Stoves

Most lightweight hikers use alcohol stoves, wood stoves, or canister stoves that use an isobutane/propane gas mixture.

Alcohol Stoves

Alcohol stoves have long been favorites with cost-conscious lightweight backpackers. They're inexpensive to buy or you can make one yourself to save money. They take seven to 10 minutes to boil two cups of water however, so they're not good for impatient people.

Several popular commercial stoves are the White Box Original Stove (MSRP $20), the Brasslite Turbo 1D (MSRP $20) and the AntiGravityGear alcohol Pepsi-style can stove (MSRP $12).

In addition, there are complete stove systems built around an alcohol stove that include a burner, a pot stand, a fuel bottle, and a windscreen to improve the stove's efficiency. For example, Trail Designs makes the Caldera Cone (MSRP $34.95), which is a complete system that incorporates all of these components. The entire system, including a fuel bottle, is packed in a plastic caddy that protects objects in your pack from the sharp edges of the windscreen and doubles as a food-safe cup and bowl. The caddy slips perfectly inside a titanium Snow Peak Trek 700 pot (MSRP $39.95), making a nice compact package.

Alcohol stoves can burn a variety of different alcohol types including methanol, sold at gas stations in yellow HEET bottles, or denatured ethanol, which is easy to buy in hardware and general stores. Cooking with alcohol requires caution however because it can be difficult to see an alcohol flame in daylight. Lighting an alcohol stove can also generate a fireball making them dangerous to cook with, especially inside a tent or shelter. (Note that you should avoid using any stove inside a tent or other unventilated area.)

Wood Stoves

Wood stoves have become popular with lightweight backpackers because they let you use sticks you find on your hike and help cut down the amount of fuel you need to carry. This is a perfectly good strategy as long as it doesn't rain much and you have dry fuel. It's also easy to build a homemade wood stove using one of the many designs available online.

Like alcohol stoves, most wood stoves take seven to 10 minutes to boil two cups of water. Unfortunately they also leave a black film on the outside of your pot that can get all over your other gear if you aren't careful about packing the stove in its own stuff sack. Cooking with them can be dangerous because the flame can be difficult to control.

Many commercial wood stoves also give you the added option to burn alcohol or a solid fuel called esbit, as a hedge against wet weather. The Bushcooker LT (MSRP $75) manufactured by the Four Dog Stove Company and Trail Design's Caldera Ti-Tri (MSRP $79.95) are both popular wood stoves that provide a multi-fuel option. The Bushcooker LT is small enough to fit in many pots, while the Caldera Ti-Tri is packaged in the same plastic caddy as the Caldera Cone alcohol stone.

Canister Stoves

If you're new to lightweight backpacking, you don't have to switch to an alcohol or a wood stove if you already own a stove that screws onto an isobutane/propane fuel canister. These are a great alternative for trips where you don't have to worry about a resupply stop and fuel canister availability.

For example, Snow Peak canisters come in a 6.9-ounce small size or a 12.9-ounce large size and burn for approximately 35 and 70 minutes. It takes about three to four minutes to boil two cups of water using a canister stove, so you can get close to 10 hot meals out of a small canister if you're careful.

Stove systems built around a canister only require a stove, a fuel canister, and a pot. A windscreen is less essential since not using one doesn't hurt stove efficiency much. In fact, windscreens should not be used on stoves that directly attach to canisters, because they can trap too much heat.

Though it's not advised to use any stove in a tent, canisters are relatively safer to cook with in a well-ventilated tent or shelter because the flame height is easy to control. You can also turn them off immediately to conserve fuel and they require zero cleanup.

The only real downside to fuel canisters is that you may have to carry a few extra ounces of fuel or the weight of an empty canister if you finish one during your trip. The canisters themselves are relatively inexpensive and easily recycled, though care must be taken to make sure that the fuel in them has been completely vented before disposal.

Common canister stoves used by lightweight backpackers include the Snow Peak Giga Stove (MSRP $39.95), the MSR PocketRocket (MSRP $39.95), and the Jetboil Personal Cooking System (MSRP $99.95). Some of the other stoves made by these manufacturers are also available in ultralight titanium. Canister stoves may include a built-in peizo ignition system: this will eventually break and is not worth relying on. Save your money and buy a fire steel sparker instead.

Conclusion

In this post, I introduced an important concept called a gear system to illustrate how lightweight backpackers think about minimizing the number of different items required to serve a common function, in this case cooking. When compared to other campers or more traditional backpackers, it's interesting to note the behavioral and dietary changes that lightweight backpackers have adopted, such as simpler meals, to lower their overall pack weight.

While ultralight backpackers are known to take such changes to the extreme to get their gear weight under 10 pounds, the lightweight backpacking philosophy is more flexible when it comes to making such comfort/gear weight tradeoffs.

You don't have to sacrifice all of your luxury items to get your gear weight under 20 to 25 pounds. The aim of lightweight backpacking is to be more comfortable, not to forgo all of the pleasures of backpacking that you enjoy today.

Philip's Recommended Stove Manufacturers

AntiGravityGear

Boilerwerks

Brasslite

Four Dog Stove

Jetboil

Mini Bull Design

MSR

Snow Peak

Soto

Trail Designs

White Box Stoves

Philip Werner is the author of SectionHiker.com, a blog about lightweight backpacking and hiking. A popular speaker, Philip gives frequent backpacking talks and gear demonstrations across New England. In addition, he is a Long Trail mentor for the Green Mountain Club, a trail adopter in the White Mountain National Forest, and a lightweight backpacking evangelist for Gossamer Gear.

Filed under: Buyers' Guides, Outdoor Skills

Comments

July 15, 2011 at 1:59 a.m. (EDT)

Out of curiousity how do you feel about GSI cookwear. I personally use the soloist. I noticed you seem to steer clear of coatings. I have used this set-up for awhile and it seems pretty durable.

July 15, 2011 at 8:04 a.m. (EDT)

While much of this topic has a personal preference side (e.g. full on cooking versus boil bag cooking) it should be noted titanium cookware does not transfer heat nearly as well as aluminum and steel cookware.  Ti may save pot weight but it will require more fuel to impart the same amount of heat to your food.

denis daly
July 15, 2011 at 8:59 a.m. (EDT)

I bought the Whitebox stove and it's my first alchy stove. I took the advice of The Rambler and Gonzan to check out alchy stove's. I bought this because I wasn't ready to try my hand at making one.. Can't complain saved my weight and has worked well so far..I do have a Jetboil for winter and passed useing that presently because I did want to shave some weight in my pack. I also learned a new skill on how to use an Alcohol stove. I have seen the caldron cones and still need to ask questions about them..

Family Guy
July 15, 2011 at 12:13 p.m. (EDT)

I've been using the Monatuk Gnat canister stove @ 1.6oz and the MLD 475ML ti cup @1.7oz for a pretty sweet solo setup.

I use a Jetboil with my kids but find it overkill for solo use.

I used to use esbit but hated the residue!

Latitude918
July 15, 2011 at 1:04 p.m. (EDT)

I love my MSR pocket rocket; small, light, and does it's job. What more can you ask for?

July 15, 2011 at 1:24 p.m. (EDT)

Ed- I noticed the heat transfer issue with Ti as well. The GSI set-up that I use smoked a Ti pot as far as boiling times when I did a side by side boiling the same amount of water. If one has to compensate this by carrying extra fuel the weight savings Ti offers is null and void.

The GSI is a nice set-up and can store the fuel cannister in it when toting around. As for the canister scratching the pot coating I just use a cut down Crown Royal sack as a sock over the bottom and it eliminates this problem as well as the clanging that can emanate from my pack.

This is the set I use(GSI Pinnacle Soloist)
2011-06-05_14-47-22_681.jpg

Family Guy
July 15, 2011 at 1:49 p.m. (EDT)

A wider burn for simmering, more stable pot supports, and pot supports that do not bend easily.  Not to mention extremely high CO2 output.

July 15, 2011 at 2:03 p.m. (EDT)

I haven't ran into any problems with my Pocket Rocket. Its a simple stove and does what its suppost to. As far as stability I added MSR's canister stand and it has worked out fairly well for 3 season use.

I have used it in the winter and just keep the canisters in the footbox of my bag at night. I am a little vertically challenged so I have the extra room length wise in my bag.

July 15, 2011 at 3:06 p.m. (EDT)

Lest anyone think Philip is ignoring their comments and questions on his latest article, I wanted to mention that he's off doing better non-online things (my words, not his) like teaching scouts and backpacking.

July 15, 2011 at 3:13 p.m. (EDT)

Alicia said:

No worries Alicia, some people other than myself have lives. I think I am gonna look into adopting a penguin. :)

Family Guy
July 15, 2011 at 3:37 p.m. (EDT)

Most of us have work comittments during the week.  It is the weekend when we play.

philipwerner
July 16, 2011 at 3:46 p.m. (EDT)

Rick - I think GSI has done a nice job with making their cookware compact, but my preference is very minimal. I usually bring an Evernew titanium 750ml pasta pot and use that as my pot, cup, and dish. I'm too rough on my gear for coatings, so I avoid them except in winter when my meals get much richer. The rest of the year, I'm a ramen noodle/miso and olive oil kind of guy. My 3 season stove is a snow peak gigapower canister. In the winter, I use a MSR simmerlite.

Wolfman (Wolfgang Greystoke)
July 20, 2011 at 6:39 p.m. (EDT)

Just a comment on steel / aluminum / titanium.  The last time I checked, a few years back.  Steel was about 50% post consumer content and more per consumer content, depending on the manfacturing facility.  Aluminum was running about 1/3 (33%) post and per-consumer content.  And titanium was at 0% recycled.

No reflection on any ones "Green" comitment, but from what I have read and seen titanium is not a very green material.  The stuff used on jet fighters and the like makes a ton of nasty sludge that is just stockpiled.   But when you work for the military it seems that it dose not matter how much you screw up the environment.

OK maybe that is a little bit on the ranting side, :)  again none of this is directed at anyone, just of information.

Wolfman

Guyz
July 27, 2011 at 10:48 a.m. (EDT)

Wolfman said:

When your job is death & destruction, everything else is a distraction.

300winmag
July 31, 2011 at 6:35 p.m. (EDT)

I see Trail Designs Caldera Cone stoves shown. These are true "systems" because they must be made to fit one pot diameter.

My CC titanium Sidewinder is evem more of a system than the original CC alky stoves. Irolls up into a Tyvek sleeve and fits inside its 3 cup anodized aluminum pot nicely. (an aluminum is 1/2 the weight of titanium)

The Caldera Cone Sidewinder can be used three ways:

1.  alcohol stove (the one provided or your own alcohol stove)

2.  ESBIT stove ("Gram Cracker" fuel tab holder provided)

3.  wood burner (extra cost Inferno inverted inner cone which sits on a hardware screen disc & supporting screen circle)

BTW. this wood-burning Inferno conversion is extremely efficient, on the order of the Canadian made BushBuddy stove in terms of cumbustion efficiency. It utilizes the downdrafting heated air for better combustion, thus a hotter flame.

In addition, unlike either the Bush Buddy or the Bushcooker downdraft wood stoves, the CC Inferno encloses the heat around the pot bottom much better, thus using less fuel and time to get the same results.

Note: Titanium is required to withstand the heat of a wood fire. Alcohol-only Caldera Cone stoves have aluminum cones.

Eric

D&G in the Smokys
August 4, 2011 at 2:47 p.m. (EDT)

We use the GSI Dualist (the 2 person version of what Rick uses).  I know it's not the "lightest" thing on the market, but for two people if weight is shared, I think it is well worth the light weight for the system is it.  To further shed weight since it comes with 2 bowls/mugs per person, you can leave one bowl/mug  each at home.  I say bowl/mug because the "mug" is really just a bowl that you put a sippee lid on.  The stove has good heat transfer and I have yet to burn anything to the bottom.

trouthunter
August 4, 2011 at 5:41 p.m. (EDT)

D&G said:

"As for the stove, I guess I am in the stone-age weight-wise because I use an MSR Whisperlite and I am still pleased with it and find it worth the extra weight over a screw on canister type setup.  I have 3 different size fuel bottles I can use depending on the trip, which in turn changes my total weight.  I can stretch the fuel out pretty good if I plan well too!"

I still use a Whisperlite too, I've had mine since the mid 90's

I have other stoves, but I always go back to the Whisperlite for a winter stove, plus white gas stoves are way cheaper on fuel than canister stoves.