Sierra Designs Mojo UFO Weighs Less Than 2lbs

Sierra Designs took its Mojo 2 tent and made it as lightweight as possible with the Mojo UFO 2. The two-person Mojo UFO, floating above thanks to three helium balloons, weighs a scant 1 pound 11 ounces. It uses cuben fiber fabric and carbon fiber poles in an external ExoFusion pole setup.

Sierra Designs made the Mojo UFO as "a halo product, to show what we can do," said Scott Kaier, public relations manager at Sierra Designs parent company American Rec. Only 50 tents total will be made, and each one costs a whopping $1,800.

Kaier showed us the Mojo UFO at Outdoor Retailer.

Related Content

Sierra Designs

Comments

August 4, 2012 at 10:34 a.m. (EDT)

Limited production run of 50, and it is $1800....

Sounds more like the UFO(ultralight funds obliterator) is geared towards a collector more than an actual user. That is alot of coin for a 2 man tent and for real world use I feel that there are better options out there that will be much more wallet friendly.

$1800 could be a really nice tent, pack, boots, blah blah blah....

Just my thoughts.

kelly83686
August 4, 2012 at 4:08 p.m. (EDT)

Well it is a two person tent--that's only $900 per person!

August 4, 2012 at 6:21 p.m. (EDT)

That is 3 Hilleberg Soulos. :p

sparkaj
August 5, 2012 at 8:59 a.m. (EDT)

Really?

$1,800!

If you got that much $$ to save a pound just hire a Sherpa to carry your stuff.

thetentman
RETAILER
August 6, 2012 at 10:47 a.m. (EDT)

Saw this a couple of weeks ago. It is very impressive and very light. I do not think Campmor will carry this. It was cheaper than I thought it would be. But still WAY expensive.

Bob Freeman
August 6, 2012 at 10:28 p.m. (EDT)

With Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 coming in at under 3 pounds and under $400, the savings of one pound here comes in at about $1400.  I'll just stick with
Big Agnes and take one less change of clothes.

Burro
August 8, 2012 at 3:58 p.m. (EDT)

I think for this price SD can cut this UFO a little more neatly.

It looks really bad.

Bill S
August 8, 2012 at 6:08 p.m. (EDT)

I was amused by his comment in the video that "two people can sleep side by side and sit up at the same time" in the tent. Personally, I prefer to sleep lying down, except when having to sit upright in a bivy.

My full rain suit made of the same material and the same color cost $15 new. So how did the price of the tent get to be 100 times as much? It can't be the material. I have seen packs, ponchos, and tents made from Cuben that, while expensive compared to other packs of the same capacity, are nowhere close to the $1000+ price range (ZPacks sells theirs for a couple hundred).

Reason that the tent looks so sloppy is that they stuck the He balloons inside and let it float on 4 tethered guy lines at the corners. When I first saw it, I thought they were "flying" it using fans underneath, which triggered a worry about how safe it would be in a strong windstorm, if it floated that readily on a little fan. Then I found out it was the balloons.

SouthEastHiker
August 9, 2012 at 1:42 a.m. (EDT)

Wow makes me feel like I got a really good deal on my Zpack's Hexamid!

thetentman
RETAILER
August 9, 2012 at 7:14 a.m. (EDT)

Wondering about the high cost.........it's a new material for the factory so I am guessing there is a learning curve. As they work with it more the price should come down as they become used to working with it and the process becomes more efficient. Other less expensive cuben fiber products might be because of different grades of the fabric, smaller margins, or even the manufacturer getting a good deal on the fabric. Plus all petroleum based fabrics have skyrocketed in price as the price of oil goes up, so it also depends when the cuben was purchased. I thought the balloon idea was a neat trick. I am still sticking with my tarp. Saturday night going to watch the Perseids, weather permitting.