Google Maps: "Kayak across the Pacific Ocean"

Earlier this week, I was trying to find out how long it takes to drive from Portland (Oregon) International Airport (PDX) to Mt. Adams, WA. Naturally, I turned to Google Maps, where I received a surprising answer:

A screen shot of Google Maps directions showing a 54-day trip crossing through Japan

Arguably, Google should be smart enough to figure out that by "Mt Adams, WA" I meant the 12,281-foot stratovolcano in nearby Washington State, not the small town in rural Western Australia.

But scrolling through the directions (114 turns!) I noticed these segments:

Directions: "Kayak across the Pacific Ocean 2,756 miles, entering Hawaii"

"Kayak across the Pacific Ocean 3,879 mi, entering Japan"

"Kayak across the Pacific Ocean 3,358 miles, entering Australia"

Regardless of the destination mix-up, how can you not like a mapping application brave enough to suggest nearly 10,000 miles of open-water paddling?

Link to the Google Maps search: "from: PDX to: Mt Adams, WA"

Filed under: Gear News

Comments

gdurheim
September 18, 2010 at 9:22 a.m. (EDT)

They just knew you were the outdoorsy type who would appreciate the scenic route. :)

trouthunter
September 18, 2010 at 9:39 a.m. (EDT)

That's great Dave!

I guess that's the difference between human intelligence and artificial intelligence. Your not in Australia, so I figure you won. I have no doubt you could have made the trip though Dave.

kayakingdog
September 18, 2010 at 8:38 p.m. (EDT)

Thats a good one, sooner or later I'm sure someone will try it.

10,000 miles..........

thanks

C4B7
September 19, 2010 at 3:01 a.m. (EDT)

I love that they try so hard to get you there. They leave it up to you to have the will power to do it.

SnowGoose
September 20, 2010 at 12:41 a.m. (EDT)

If you paddled at a rate of 10 MPH, 24 HRS per day, it would take 41 days 16 hours to kayak the 10,000 miles. This leaves a leisurely 12 days 20 hours to complete the other 3500 miles. Sounds completely feasible!

September 20, 2010 at 9:01 a.m. (EDT)

I like it!

It also provides a handy excuse for buying that sea kayak you've always wanted.