Mile High Mountaineering Brings the Passion

Fresh out of college, Jeff Popp started Denver-based Mile High Mountaineering because he felt some existing pack designs "lacked passion." Mile High's fresh approach is on full display at Outdoor Retailer, with a line up of new packs and one innovative accessory.

Salute 34

The Salute 34 leads the pack with a new access system that allows unfettered access to the pack and transforms it into a ground cover suitable for coiling rope, having a picnic, or sitting on.  The Salute also features industrial grade #10 zippers.

• Capacity: 34 L
  • Weight: 3 lbs 8 oz
  • MSRP $199
  • Available: Spring 2012
Mile High Mountaineering Salute 34
Mile High Mountaineering Salute 34, fully opened

Powder Keg

For winter hikes, ski tours, snowboard treks, the Powder Keg is the ticket.  It has a unique lashing system the enables skiis to be affixed 3 different ways.

• Capacity: 32 L
  • Weight: 3 lbs 8 oz
  • MSRP $189
  • Available: Spring 2012
Mile High Mountaineering Powder Keg
Mile High Mountaineering Powder Keg

Bolt

The Bolt is designed as a day-hiker and peak-bagger, with ice axe holsters that permit some "adventurous" peak bagging too.

• Capacity: 24 L
  • Weight: 2 lbs 8 oz
  • MSRP $149
  • Available: Spring 2012
Mile High Mountaineering Bolt
Mile High Mountaineering Bolt

Incline

• Capacity: 18 L
  • Weight: 1 lb 8 oz
  • MSRP $119
  • Available: Spring 2012
Mile High Mountaineering Incline
Mile High Mountaineering Incline

The Snack Stacker

The Snack Stacker is an insulated module that fits into Mile High Mountaineering's packs. With space for an ice pack and a sleeve that conceals a midget-sized stainless steel grill, this got me thinking about a fresh steak on nights one and two of a hike.

• Capacity: 13.6 L
  • MSRP $48
  • Available: Spring 2012
MHM Snack Stacker
 Mile High Mountaineering Snack Stacker.

Comments

August 6, 2011 at 11:49 p.m. (EDT)

I actually like the looks of the Bolt. I found a sneak peek of these packs a lil while back.

Seth, are they hydration bladder friendly?

Seth Levy (Seth)
August 8, 2011 at 3:11 p.m. (EDT)

Hi Rick - I'm checking.

August 8, 2011 at 3:15 p.m. (EDT)

Seth said:

Hi Rick - I'm checking.

Good stuff, hope you all are having a blast out there.

Seth Levy (Seth)
August 8, 2011 at 7:09 p.m. (EDT)

Rick,

All of these are hydration compatable.

It was a good show.  I need a few days to recover, for sure.  When Trailspace is at the show, we are up before six, and out after midnight!

August 8, 2011 at 7:12 p.m. (EDT)

Seth said:

Rick,

All of these are hydration compatable.

Hey, at least its a positive form of sleep deprivation. ;)

Yeah I can definitely tell all of you are putting your time in. At the same time I can personally say I appreciate all of your efforts. I love hearing about all the newest stuff hitting the market. It gives me an idea at how much money I am going to spend in the not so distant future lol.

I have been following the OR show on Twitter as well through other sources. I am turning into quite a gear head in a sense. At the same time I have become ultra-critical when it comes to the choices I make in gear. I never make an impulse buy.

Thanks again to all of you out there that are taking the time to shoot this info our way. Its greatly appreciated.

August 9, 2011 at 10:23 a.m. (EDT)

You're welcome, Rick. I'm glad you enjoy the content.

.ghost.
August 19, 2011 at 11:35 a.m. (EDT)

Really interested in some of their bigger packs especially, ie Great Divide, Flatiron, and the Fifty-Two (Ok, especially the Fifty-Two).  Any looks at these packs at the show?

Robert Rowe
August 21, 2011 at 10:21 a.m. (EDT)

Did you folks here on "the board" HAMMMER  the manufacturers about the "made-in-China" issue ?

Also, the LACK of quality FGL boots WITHOUT Gore-Tex ?   Too much EVA in footwear ?

Objective journalism is not a bad thing.

~r2~