About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

SteriPEN Freedom: smaller, lighter, rechargeable UV purifier

SteriPEN introduced its smallest, lightest, and first rechargeable water purifier: the Freedom. Like SteriPEN's other products, the Freedom uses ultraviolet (UV) radiation to scramble the DNA of many waterborne pathogens and purify your water. But this product includes some unique features.

A built-in LED flashlight turns on with a few flicks of the wrist, and the built-in lithium ion battery (non-replaceable) charges with a convenient USB cable, using your computer, an AC outlet, or compatible solar charger.

To use the Freedom, remove the lamp cover, immerse the quartz-encased UV lamp in a half liter (16 ounces) of water, and stir. In 48 seconds the germicidal UV light will destroy more than 99.9 percent of bacteria, viruses, and protozoa. To disinfect one liter of water, treat twice.

Kayla Moore demonstrated the SteriPEN Freedom for us at Outdoor Retailer:

SteriPEN Freedom

• Weight: 2.6 oz (74 g)
  • Dimensions: 5.1 x 1.4 x 0.8 in (13 x 3.5 x 2.2 cm)
  • Treatment time: 16 oz (0.5 L) in < 1 minute
  • Treatments per charge: 40
  • Battery/UV lamp life: 8,000 16-oz uses
  • Available: Fall 2011
  • MSRP: $119.95

Comments

Robert Rowe
August 6, 2011 at 11:31 a.m. (EDT)

Cool.

~r2~

August 6, 2011 at 12:41 p.m. (EDT)

Hmmm, it treats a half liter at a time, it has a built in flashlight, and it is rechargeable.

Ok, I like the fact that it is small. The flashlight is pretty cool too.

Here is what I don't like. Its good for around 40 treatments which to me equals out to 20 liters of water.

My last trip, counting my cooking water I burned thru 20 liters in a little over 3 days because I was sweating so much I needed to consume more than my usual amount of water in order to balance out my hydration levels. I would hate to be out on day four and the battery crap out with no way to recharge the unit. A situation like this can put one in a hairy spot.

I did not see or hear of being able to pop out a battery pack and fire in a set of batteries for extended trip which I believe would have made it more convenient(especially if one gets stranded/lost.).... hey it happens.

I dunno, for me a Steri-pen just doesn't cut the mustard for my uses.

For simple(weekend, etc.) solo use this may be a good unit.

One of the reasons I am so fond of my filter is all I have to do is clean and pump. No dead batteries.... and if you pre-filter by using something like a coffee filter over the inlet cleaning is very minimal.

Louis-Alexis
August 6, 2011 at 12:51 p.m. (EDT)

Camelbacks uv bottle will hurt them in this years sales if they can keep the price reasonable.

ocalacomputerguy
August 6, 2011 at 2:06 p.m. (EDT)

I'm with Rick when it comes to hiking.  I wouldn't mind having one for trips to places like Mexico where you could recharge daily.

Xtreme-Hiker
August 8, 2011 at 8:06 p.m. (EDT)

I'd certainly like to check this product out - but I also understand what Rick is saying regarding it's limited use...  However, at the same time, knowing the limitations you should be able to plan accordingly - like using it only for drinking water.  You can always employ a water pasteurization (150 degrees for a couple minutes) method for cooking water...  It's as safe as boiled water but faster and easier...  For emergencies have chemical tablets.

I prefer filtered water for A LOT of reasons - but the weight and size savings of this product makes it very hard to ignore.

~Rich

Robert Rowe
August 8, 2011 at 8:28 p.m. (EDT)

Welcome aboard, Iddings.  Hope you enjoy the discourse and discovery.

~r2~

Seth Levy (Seth)
August 9, 2011 at 3:46 p.m. (EDT)

Rick, the product specifications for the Steri-Pen Freedom state that the internal battery is rechargeable, not removable.

August 9, 2011 at 4:02 p.m. (EDT)

Seth said:

Hmmmm, I think this would be a good option for the weekend warrior but for multi-day treks it may not be a smart choice. If it was designed to where one could pop out the rechargeable battery pack and maybe use disposables it could open it up to a wider market in regards to people who may purchase this product.

If I were to take this out on a trip I would be worrying how much juice I have left and how soon I would be resorting to Aquamira.

Is there any type of low battery indicator on the unit?

The Camelbak All Clear is $20 cheaper and will handle twice the water in between charges.

Guyz
August 12, 2011 at 9:19 a.m. (EDT)

How do you know when it stops working for other than battery reasons?  Murphy is my middle name.  Had dysentery before, don't want to do that again.

Bill S
August 12, 2011 at 1:24 p.m. (EDT)

You can recharge the batteries with a solar panel. I have the older Adventurer SteriPen that comes with a box that has a small solar panel on the lid, though I normally have my large Brunton foldup panel (24 Watt) along on long trips (same one Gary has). It charges my camera batteries as fast as plugging them into my home wall socket. I also have one of the small GoalZero panels (7 watt) that will charge the SteriPen, though it takes a long time. I keep a spare battery set charged at all times. I used the SteriPen when I hiked Kilimanjaro (6 days) for most of my drinking water (the required cook boiled water in camp).

Callahan
August 12, 2011 at 2:17 p.m. (EDT)

Rick, sounds like you will need to buy a solar charger too

August 12, 2011 at 4:44 p.m. (EDT)

I have one. I also have a Callpod Duo. just seems like a pain in the rear end having to deal with all of this on an extended trip when my filter will do the same thing.

I understand the whole thing Bill S is stating but I think they may have made a mistake when it comes to the Freedom because the battery pack in this model is not removable.

Basically until you recharge it when its done, you're done.

Just seems like one more unnecessary thing to be worried about on the trail.

Robert Rowe
August 13, 2011 at 7:15 a.m. (EDT)

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

...  a mistake when it comes to the Freedom because the battery pack in this model is not removable.

Basically until you recharge it when its done, you're done.

Just seems like one more unnecessary thing to be worried about on the trail.

x2

~r2~

Guyz
August 17, 2011 at 9:36 a.m. (EDT)

X3