Camping Turbine!

7:41 p.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

saw this on instructables!

If you haven't seen the site before, its pretty cool for DIYers!

folds and it only weights 16 oz! Probably would be best used by the continental divide!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Camping-Wind-Turbine/#step1

9:35 p.m. on September 8, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

Wow, thats a pretty cool idea and the site too. Saved it to my favorites. Thanks for sharing!

1:03 a.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

This is a really cool idea and looks to be very simple.  So simple that I believe anyone could do this.  I had a 6K wind generator (Dakota Wind and Sun) on my property in Colorado.  It was pretty cool as we put it up on a 95 ft tower.  As far as this little guy I think it could be adapted to use the cups that are used on an anometer (a wind measuring device).  It would be really easy to carry some light wire and put this up high where there is wind.  Not as much wind up here (PNW) until it's way to horrible to pitch a tent in the rainy winter.  With that being said I will be bringing the anometer with me when I take some of my tents out to the coast in the middle of this coming winter to test their worth.  I may just try and build one of these things.  I would use a different blade set up (shape and feathering)  however.  He did not include a template for blades as he believes there may be more efficent blades with this generator.  Also for just a bit more weight you can have more power, though again it's all a trade of on the weight issue.

9:28 a.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

The author  / 'inventor' (?) is a high-school student.

Think about that.

Humbling ... very humbling ....

~r2~

9:54 a.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Gary, its a great site! i signed up to make a paracord watch band, and I accidentally forgot to not check send weekly emails, best accident of my life!!

but you gotta sign up to see full steps... and then pay a monthly fee if you want to download the PDF's of the instructions (i'll be fine with out that! haha)

Apeman, I wanna see what you can do with this!

And R^2, it kinda makes me glad I went to TTU's business program instead of engineering! too many competitive kids like that really puts me in my place (that is at the business school)!

3:14 p.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

I met a guy once from Moscow Idaho who had designed a water turbine generator the size of a small soup can. He said it would generate enought power to run a standard light bulb while sitting in a few inches of water.. Don't remember all the details, that was in 1989 when I was living in the Gila National Forest in New Mexico.

9:18 p.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Have a friend that would make hydrogen generators for cars. Small, liter size container that somehow he attached to the carbarator. Supposedly increased milage about 10 or 15%. I do not know if that claim was legit., but we would take the hose off the carb with the engine running and put a match to the end. It produced a continous blue flame. Used a small amount of water and electricity. This thing would make hydrogen forever without a refill of water. Can energy solutions really be that simple?

3:04 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Nice idea. The problem with this is that it doesn't provide enough voltage to do anything with it.  In the video it is producing 1/3 of a volt.  I don't think you could get a voltage multiplier to work with that low of a voltage. Now if it were producing 1 volt you could do something.

I found a voltage multiplier that will work as low as .7 of a volt and boost it to 3.3 or 5 volts but how many milliamps does it produce? 

6:28 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Hafford said:

Can energy solutions really be that simple?

There are examples like that everywhere. The hard part is getting it from the inventor through to the working side of the public sector without some large energy (coal, gas/oil) conglomerate buying the rights to it, so they can shove it in the closet of never to be seen again.

It scares me sometimes when I think about how many life changing ideas may have been buried in such a way, just to protect someones profit margins.

Or maybe I'm just becoming one of those conspiracy theorist... Well, off to line my walls with tinfoil.

9:51 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver said:

Hafford said:

Can energy solutions really be that simple?

There are examples like that everywhere. The hard part is getting it from the inventor through to the working side of the public sector without some large energy (coal, gas/oil) conglomerate buying the rights to it, so they can shove it in the closet of never to be seen again.

It scares me sometimes when I think about how many life changing ideas may have been buried in such a way, just to protect someones profit margins.

Or maybe I'm just becoming one of those conspiracy theorist... Well, off to line my walls with tinfoil.

There are many instances where a better product is shelved in favor of a lesser product.  It's about quarterly profits and not about better products unless the said "better" products brings in the highest quartely profit. 

Dude that tin foil thing has merit.  ;-}}}>

10:26 a.m. on September 11, 2011 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I get so annoyed lately with everything from the president, congress (both sides) mortgage companies, insurance companies, drug companies, lobbyists, wall street, well, the list goes on. Profit over the greater good at a time when people are genuinely suffering and struggling is pretty sad.

A walk in the woods used to be for me a great chance to recharge my batteries and get back to some basic skills and values. Nowadays it is more and more an escape from a world that seems to be spiraling out of reason. I just love those first few steps from the trailhead!

9:42 a.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I thought it was foil faces non flammable insulation??  So when you set off your incendiary devices to destroy the evidence it did not burn down the building?  Not that I have any of this...  My hide out is made out of 8" concrete!! :p 

1:47 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

It strikes me that a sufficiently lightweight turbine, paired with a low-voltage heating element integrated into a jacket or sleeping bag, could be a potential lifesaver in areas where dangerously cold weather and high wind often go hand-in-hand. Polar regions, 8,000-meter peaks, etc.

9:24 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Dave said:

"It strikes me that a sufficiently lightweight turbine, paired with a low-voltage heating element integrated into a jacket or sleeping bag, could be a potential lifesaver in areas where dangerously cold weather and high wind often go hand-in-hand. Polar regions, 8,000-meter peaks, etc."

I was thinking that at one time someone was developing a sleeping bag with a heating system using 'paper batteries' or 'nano batteries' or something like that. I wish I could remember.

I have wanted to build a small hydroelectric unit for some time now, it would be more useful to me than a wind turbine since I spend so much time down in river gorges.

I have tried two times but they get big and heavy fast if you do not have the right components.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply