Bear Spray and Trail Running

7:55 p.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I like to do long runs into backcountry areas and have yet to come up with a decent pack/solution for my bear spray.  I typically carry a one-bottle waistpack (North Face Flight Series).  Which is super-light and carries the bare essentials for me, but has no great way of carrying bear spray. 

I have tried attaching my bottle using both UDAP and Counterassault holsters, but neither hold it securely in place or in a logical and quick-to-deploy position.

Was wondering if any other runners had a novel solution or decent waistpack that handles their bear spray well? 

Not interested in a debate about bear spray or what you do with a hiking pack... I've already got that well-covered! 

8:59 p.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

You could make a bandolier out of wide, soft webbing. If it crossed your chest and had a bungy-type fastener to the clip of your belt pack, it would be quite comfortable, lightweight, and wouldn't inhibit movement while running. Add a pocket to it for the spray and you would have instant access to the spray. Do it right and you might want to get rid of the waistpack.

10:55 p.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

overmywaders said:

You could make a bandolier out of wide, soft webbing. If it crossed your chest and had a bungy-type fastener to the clip of your belt pack, it would be quite comfortable, lightweight, and wouldn't inhibit movement while running. Add a pocket to it for the spray and you would have instant access to the spray. Do it right and you might want to get rid of the waistpack.

Yeah ....

Somebody makes these.  

Their advert shows a woman on a motor-scooter wearing one. [edited for non-acceptable terminology - moderator]

~r2~

8:24 a.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Bingo!   Found it.

Go here >>>>>   www.gorunnur.com

~r2~

8:39 a.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

That is slick!  I like that!  Don't know if it will have a large enough pocket for the bear spray.  Good concept to follow up on or copy with your design.

12:03 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

What ran through my mind was this from CamelBak called the Delaney Plus

rec-packs-delaney-plus-formula-one-s11-3

Not sure if it would work for a bear spray canister but it was designed for runners.

1:15 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

"There is nothing new under the sun."

The bandolier concept has worked for thousands of years. It allows unrestricted movement. That is why the Romans soldiers wore the sagum (not the toga) and the Scots wore the plaid. Both were multi-purpose wool garments - bedding at night, rain-resistant cloak during the day, and you carried small objects (e.g., a scrap of bread and meat) in the folds of the front of the garment, bandolier style.

2:17 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
2:30 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

overmywaders said: 

" ... the Scots wore the plaid ... "  (part of quote)

Trivia:   The Scots (and the Celts and the Irish, that wore them as well) pronounced the word " played "  (as in "played the game", etc.).

~r2~

4:27 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

R2,

Just a moment, the Scots and the Irish are both Celts. The six Celtic nations - Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Breton, Cornwall, and the Isle of Mann - had different pronunciations of words in their Gaelic.

For example, just within Irish Gaelic, you have three possible pronunciations of 'plaid' - http://www.angaelmagazine.com/pronunciation/plaid.WAV and in Scottish Gaelic you might have 'plajer' but not 'played'. - http://www.tartansauthority.com/resources/gaelic-leixicon

6:39 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Check out the ultimate direction site. They have some unique runner- oriented products. They use a chest strap system that may meet your needs.

www.ultimatedirection.com

Best of luck

-Brando

9:02 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Thanks for the recommendations!  I had looked at the chest holsters in the store and found that once I got them tight enough to not rotate/bounce, they were rather constrictive on the breathing.  Dang good concept, though, for other applications.

ocala - The Delaney is a great pack.  I have a North Face one that is very, very similar.  Sadly, the water-bottle carriers on those don't synch down quite enough to get a bear spray canister tight.  I've tried (and failed).

Brando - I found a couple recommendations for lashing spray to the UD Wasp.  I may have to go that route.  I don't care for running with a backpack-style pack, but the waist-pack certainly doesn't seem to be flying. 

Fellas, please take your off-topic banter to private messages. 

10:37 a.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Cleric

I'm assuming you have the TNF Enduro belt. 

enduro-belt-1-ARMV_JK3_hero.jpg

You are correct it is close but if you look at the way the Delany cinches I think it will go much smaller than the Enduro. 

Another thought.

Get some adhesive backed Velcro. Place a strip on the bottom and top lip of the Enduro and matching ones on the spray.  You may have to sew the Enduro ones. That should hold it in but allow quick access.

11:15 a.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Not quite the Enduro belt.  It is a couple years old and part of their "Flight" series.  I'll snap a picture when I get back home (couldn't Google one up at the moment).  It cinches up across the bottle, but you're correct... I don't think it does it quite as tight as that Delaney may.  

Edit:  Did a little more creative Google-fu and found it.  It is the NF Photon:

photon.jpg

The velcro is an excellent idea.  In fact, my wife took a look at an old spray holster last night and figured she could stitch velcro on to it.  The NF pack already has a velcro area on it (black "holey" patch next to the bottle holder which holds the bottle holster at different angles).  So, I am hoping that with the opposing velcro on the spray holster, it will snug up against the bottle holster and the entire cinch strap will hold them tight against my back.

Thank you for your continued thinking and suggestions!

Closing in on a solution!  I'll post pics when it gets done!

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply