About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Michigan backpacking

12:39 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Well, i just moved up here to south east michigan last week for school, and i am looking for new trails.  With school, i dont think ill make it up to the UP this fall, but im looking for any good 10 to 30 mile back country trails in the LP, perferably in the east half of the state. Any help here? Also, any one, or groups looking for an extra on the next outing? Thanks!

4:02 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I am sorry to hear you can not make it up to the UP. It is absolutely beautiful up there. If you do find time to go up there, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is a 40ish mile trek across some of the most beautiful country you'll ever find. 

9:03 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Whenever you do make it to the UP, head for the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.  You won't be sorry.

10:29 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

I don't know much about the east side of the state, but check out the Jordan River Valley Pathway in East Antrim County.  Also the Manistee River loop features a decent section of the NCT with a really nice trail running along the other side of the river for a solid 20-mile overnighter.  

You gotta make it up to the UP.  If you can't make it this season, put it on your must-do list.  The aforementioned Pictured Rocks is an awesome hike.

4:24 p.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
50 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

oruacat2 said:

Whenever you do make it to the UP, head for the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.  You won't be sorry.

Just got back from my second trip this year to the Porkies. Great place. Was about a week early for the full effect of the fall colors.

1:15 a.m. on October 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
370 forum posts

I consider the Porkies one of my homes.  Just love it there.  From the moment I first drove into the area, I was hooked.  Feels entirely comfortable and recognizable, as if I'd been there before.  Great snowshoeing country in the middle of winter.  Have the whole park to yourself.

Can't help with the LP.  Sorry.

11:05 p.m. on October 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I also don't know anything about the LP, but the UP (porkies and pictured rocks) are fabulous.

7:28 a.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

yeah, thats what i keep hearing. i'm going to try and see if i can make it up there this year, just not 100%  I found a pretty good trail section of the north country trail that runs about 2 hours north of me that im going to try here next weekend.  Thanks for the help!

April 25, 2014
Quick Reply