Dogs Save Hikers from Cougar

8:51 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,302 forum posts

Hmmm ... I'm a little confused - the title says the cougar attacked, but the text skips that part.  Then again, I guess a cougar within 20 feet is wayyyy too close, attacking or otherwise ...

http://outsidek9.com/2011/09/lions-do-exist-when-a-cougar-attacked-in-the-woods-our-fearless-dogs-chased-it-up-a-tree/

9:43 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
911 forum posts

Rhodesian Ridgeback showing some instinct there.

12:42 p.m. on September 21, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Just like in another post here somewhere, running may be the last thing you do.

3:47 a.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
549 forum posts

I'm calling bullshat on this article.  Had they not had dogs, would they have even known if the cougar was there?  I'll say no.  They did not see the cat, the dogs picked up the scent.  And then they ran.  Big no no there.  Any cat worth its weight, will know how to put on a stalk and not be seen or heard.  Cats won't come up face to face on you and their senses are far superior to a human's.  You're not going to turn a corner and surprise a cat.  It's the other way around.  The cat will stalk behind you.  Anyone who spends time in the mountains, especially backcounty, have been stalked.  I've spent many days in the Colorado high country and probably was stalked quite often.  Never saw a cat.  Saw plenty of tracks but not the cat itself.  My brother and I were in the Pecos wilderness this past April and we were stalked then.  We hiked up to the vicinity of Pecos Baldy in the morning.  It was beautiful.  Didn't see any tracks on the trail and didn't see any other people that day either.  On the way back to the trailhead that afternoon guess what?  Cougar tracks mixed in with our boot prints on the trail.  Cat was either hiking with us or more likely, stalking us.  Must have been a good sized cat.  The pads were the size of my outstretched palm.  One more thing; no hiking during the hours of dawn or dusk, that's when cat's are most active.

Another thing I found disturbing about the article was the fawn comment.  Letting your housepets mortally wound wildlife is retarded. 

4:21 p.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

My dogs (heelers) saved me from the large, very bold Monty Pythonesque rabbit who lives behind the High Falls lean-to in the Five Ponds Wilderness region of the Adirondacks.  haha   They also protected our precious food supply and gear from the hordes of mice who live underneath the shelter.

6:23 p.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

The deer comment also bothered me. The author made it sound almost cutsie. Much as I like dogs, I believe that any dog seen running deer should be shot on sight. Yes, I know hunting deer with dogs was legal in some states; but in many states it was long recommended that such dogs be shot immediately no questions asked.

6:45 p.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
549 forum posts

I sent this email to Outsideonline last night, including the blog post by Troxell.  Haven't got a response from them as of yet:

I saw this blog post on the Outside k9 website.  It was somewhat entertaining until I got to the end of the story.  Scroll down and see for yourself.  I highlighted it in bold.  I'm just wondering what Colorado Fish and Game thinks about Ali Carr Troxell's dogs teaming up to mortally wound a fawn in a Colorado ski town.  Or do they even know about it?  I guess she didn't know harassing wildlife is a federal offense.  Even worse if it is killed out of season.  Sounds like poaching?   Don't worry, I can forward it to them.  That little revelation about her dogs is enough to keep me from ever reading or even subscribing to Outside again.   Thanks 

11:04 a.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
679 forum posts

I'm with ya rob. Dogs shredding little spotted fawns is the kind of thing that gives dogs a bad name, may be an important contributing factor as to why I couldn't take my dog on so much as a day hike in US national parks and federal wilderness areas -- disturbing or harassing wildlife by scent or action is the main reason offered for that policy. I understand why we can't have every Joe and his badly-behaved dog running around out there, but maybe some kind of dog/owner backcountry education and licensing program? I would gladly have paid a pretty hefty fee to be able to take my buddy places for the 6 mos. we were in CA -- but now I'm back in Norway, where many of the huts have special dog rooms so you can bring your dog indoors.

12:25 p.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
612 forum posts

Wait, so they are hiding a dog and natures lovers heaven in Norway? This whole time it was hidden! Screw Toronto I'm moving to Norway. Nice Northern weather, wildlife, backcountry....and they allow dogs in some places? How could I have been so blind. Bigred has got it right.

12:18 a.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
192 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

Meh.  Just more irresponsible Outside magazine stuff.  That rag (and its subsidiaries, like this "dog blog", apparently) seems to be written by those with more machismo than brains and more ego than consideration.  Don't give them your money.

6:40 a.m. on October 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Rhodesian Ridgeback showing some instinct there.

I like dogs with the "RR" initials ....

I never knew of this breed, until I saw one of those dreadful oval-decals some people put on their vehicle's rear window.

"A decal with my initials ... how nice,"  I thought.  ,,,,  "Do they know me?"

As a footnote to the decals thing ... the VERY WORST of the lot is the "OBX" ones.  [ *insert puking emotiicon* ].

Funny story about that ... but, another time.  Let's focus on the post-topic.

~ r2 ~

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply