Random sightings...

2:57 a.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ya ever been miles into a journey and just look down and see something that leaves you going "huh?"

Well I was around 20 miles into my latest trip and I had one of those "uh-huh" moments.

DSCI1273.jpg

Hey maybe I am missing something here....

Trailspace, have you ever came across that one thing on the trail that still has you scratching you head?

5:45 a.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I guess I don't need my provisional after all.  My foursome wasn't kidding when they described my shot as one hell of a slice!

The weirdest thing I stumbled upon was an 8qt pressure cooker @ the 17200' camp on Denali.  That's a lot of weight to carry up there, not to mention the fuel it must take to use it.

Ed

8:58 a.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

A Barbie doll that looked brand new, without its head, sitting in the notch of a tree a mile from the nearest trail at 5000ft in the mountain.

Creepy as hell. 

9:02 a.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

I can't do better than those:)

9:28 a.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

The golf ball probably just fell out of someone's pack. I know some people use them as a foot massager. Move up to tennis balls and use two as a good back massage. Course' the hot Swedish chick hiking partner is always good too.

10:23 a.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

A Barbie doll that looked brand new, without its head, sitting in the notch of a tree a mile from the nearest trail at 5000ft in the mountain.

Creepy as hell. 

That's where I put that... Hmmm...

4:20 p.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

I found a stash of musket parts n pieces and shot and a powder keg stashed in a cave here in CT. I assume stashed there during the revolutionary war, definitely looked like it had been there for quite a few moons. (I left it all there)

Not really weird, but definitely one of the coolest things I have stumbled across.

The weirdest thing I have found was xmas ornaments, the satin ball kind, on every tree for about a 1/4 to half mile also here in CT.

4:27 p.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/90586.html#90586

I started a similiar topic several months ago. Got quite off track and its worth a good laugh again, especially our detective work at the end.

8:06 p.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Few months ago, I found a photo of a little girl about six miles in sitting on top of a rock. Looked like it was about 10 years old. We had just had some tornadoes come through the area, so I'm pretty sure it was carried there by the storms. Just weird because 1. That little girl in the pic is probably an adult or near adulthood by now and  2. Just keep wondering if she is ok.

100 feet later we ran into an old army  ammunition box sitting on top of a rock. We decided not to open it because we had no clue what the hell was in it.

8:44 p.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rocklion said:  "100 feet later we ran into an old army  ammunition box sitting on top of a rock. We decided not to open it because we had no clue what the hell was in it."

I would have had to find a way to open it...........................bammmmmm.................

Note to ones self "File that under "Risky Behavior"

9:54 p.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Well, this is a bit off-topic, but when I was in 3d Ranger Battalion we were doing live fire ambush training; we thought we had accounted for all the Claymore mines when I tripped over one in the dark.  I traced the electrical wiring back to a Ranger who was playing with the clacker that detonates the mine.  Scary.  Good thing, I suppose.  The other officer who was with me is now a 3 star general.  1 Soldier/Ranger/Green Beret = 1 brain; 2 Soldiers/Rangers/Green Berets = 1/2 brain; 3 Soldiers/Rangers/Green Berets = 1/3 brain.

10:53 p.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Like a babies pram sitting in the middle of the road, on a back road, in the middle of a foggy night.  Oh yeah it was Halloween too,,,,,,, no kidding you.  Just about soiled myself and my GF was screaming as we / I just about nailed it as I launched over a cattle grid, yeah going a little too fast and there it was.

7:20 a.m. on October 6, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Callahan said:

..pram sitting in the middle of the road...

What is a pram?  Wiki = flat bottomed boat.

Ed

9:03 a.m. on October 6, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Rocklion said:

100 feet later we ran into an old army  ammunition box sitting on top of a rock. We decided not to open it because we had no clue what the hell was in it.

I would be surprised if it wasn't a geocaching sign in and deposit box.  Ammo boxes are one of the most common things used for that, since they are nearly indestructible and watertight. 

9:18 a.m. on October 6, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

Pram is an older word for a stroller/ carriage.

12:00 p.m. on October 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

I would be surprised if it wasn't a geocaching sign in and deposit box.  Ammo boxes are one of the most common things used for that, since they are nearly indestructible and watertight. 

Then ya have this...

traimail.jpg

Who needs email when ya have trail mail? This has made me want a carrier pigeon in the worst way. 

3:57 p.m. on October 6, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg8XGQJ6e1c5oQ4e5iGEx

2:10 p.m. on October 8, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I have found lost of stuff on the pacific beaches.  This summer was lack luster, but we did find a medium size frig form Japan.  It was not very old, the compressor was gone and so was the door.  So just the inside plastic shell and the outside metal, and of course all the insulation that keep it afloat.  I wonder if it was from the Earthquake or from before.  From what I understand the neat two years their will be a lot of stuff washing up on the western coast of the Americas for that mess.  It will be interesting to see just what shows up and what kind of shape it will be in. 

I remember seeing pictures of a house, mostly intact, about 500 miles north east off Japan a few months after the quake, it was caught in the north pacific current, though it probably is all broken up by now.  Still it will be very interesting the next few years on the beaches.

Wolfman

7:52 a.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

i was about eleven miles out, walking along a river bank, up on the hill was a faded pink barbie power wheels car that toddlers ride in.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply