Hot cold spells while on trail.

10:05 a.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Somewhere along the line I started to age. I now find myself having cold spells. At home it take a 15+ minute hot shower to recover my heat. This has not yet happened to me on the tail, but I'm begining to worry more about it. I know that at home no amount of clothing will do the trick. I know the ladies here can have simular problems. How do you deal with this?

11:45 a.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Maybe you need to discover your internal thermostat like this guy.

Please note this is an advertisement. I am not promoting anything.  It's just an amazing video. Wim Hof  This is a longer video about him running a half marathon bare foot on ice and snow in below zero weather with only shorts on. Wim_Hof_is_an_extraordinary_person.

Cold flashes would come in handy in the desert.

2:31 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

An Internal thermostat. Where can I buy one lol But realy this is getting to be a problem. It can be 70 outside and I will get a chill down to the bones. I am thinking about those hand warmers and tucking them inside my bag. But if that fails I would have to bail on my trip.

4:49 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey mike,

Here's an interesting link that may help with the problem, though I have no experience or association with this. It sounded interesting and made for interesting reading as well.

http://askjohnchatman.com/internal-thermostat/

You may also think about using different foods to ramp up your internal heat. I would maybe utilize Google regarding this.

I have seen many Internal thermostat parts on eBay. Please be pay particular attention to used parts and Chinese knock-offs

5:13 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

See your doctor; this sounds like a hormonal problem, for example a thyroid issue.  No reason to suffer when it can be easily managed.  The good news is it probably is only a comfort issue, regarding back country safety.

Ed 

7:27 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
139 forum posts

I agree with whomeworry see a doctor, I'm not a doctor but you should get a check up and tell them about your problem.  This will give you an answer.

7:45 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

whomeworry said:

See your doctor; this sounds like a hormonal problem, for example a thyroid issue.  No reason to suffer when it can be easily managed.  The good news is it probably is only a comfort issue, regarding back country safety.

Ed 

I tend to agree with (ED) it's thyroid and it can be managed.You also need to be checked because it's always good to know blood and cholesteral count anyway.Better to be safe Mike and Rita would want you safe.

8:23 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Not sure it's your thyroid.  My wife has low thyroid and that usually causes weight gain and tiredness.  Easily controlled with a daily pill.  My mother had overactive thyroid.  It made her emotional but she didn't really loose weight. Neither complained about Hot or Cold flashes.

Check out this website. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/cold-flashes-in-men.html

9:09 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Not sure it's your thyroid... 

FYI: intolerance to cold is a common symtom for thyroid issues.  BTW the potential hormonal issues the cite referenced by John are not specifically identified, but probably would include thyroid in that list if they bothered breaking it out in detail.  Alas this is all spculation; see the doc!

Ed

11:18 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Mike, I too hope you can see your doctor about it. My wife has a vascular disorder that inhibits her body's ability to regulate temperature in her extremities. It leaves her at risk for frostbite and even just severe cold pain. Anything that is messing with your body's thermostat is potentially serious business. 

3:58 a.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Please go see your doctor. Could very well be a small minor issue that is easily solved. On the other hand it could be a serious heart or vascular problem.  No/low blood flow can make ya real cold.

As somebody that is currently on the shelf and out of service do to my own recent  heart issues, I must say please dont just ignore your symptoms and wait to see if it'll get better. Be proactive and get checked out 

4:45 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

No Heart problems. No thyriod problems. Just the chills every now and then. I'm going to look at my diet fist. Thanks eveyone

4:55 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
139 forum posts

I'm a day hiker and thought I knew a lot about hiking, I bought things that I didn't need and felt the people at this site were good but didn't know everything.  If one or more people say you should see a doctor I feel you should, while we are not doctors I have had 3 persons died that I knew because of medical problems, I am a plumber and know a great deal about it, but I know very little about being a doctor and how to fix myself by taking something to make me feel better.  Your body is telling you something and you do have the tools to fix it, see a doctor please.

5:52 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm not one to run to a doctor. Heck I've broken a bone and only went after I couldnt set it right (the next day). Then the drs and I got into it as they sent me down to the ER. I told them that it wasnt an emergency. It was a broken bone. And it will still be broken later. Made an appointment for an X-ray. Though we all knew it was broke!  So guess what the X-ray showed, it was broke. Waist of time and money. Then they wanted to do surgery. I said no. Though I did have to go to therapy, they said six weeks. I pushed it hard and only went 2 times. I had full movement again and they said I didnt have to come back. Got a big hug and kiss from the therapist. :)

Plus I didnt have to pay for the ER. Sometimes one must use common since. Most Drs do all those test becouse of law suits and insurance. I also have gall stones. Diet takes care of it. So I will monitor myself and take notes. In this way if I do need a Dr I will have alot of information for her.

I was just hoping others here might have had these chills before and had their own way of haddling them.

Thanks for all the concern though.

Mike

8:18 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

You might recall that Steve Jobs decided he could cure his problem himself and refused surgery until it was too late.

One reason the docs want to Xray a "break" is that getting it to heal correctly and not break again due to improper healing requires knowing the actual configuration of the break. Some "breaks" turn out to not be broken at all, but tendon, ligament, or muscle tears or hyperextensions. When my elbow was dislocated by a snowboarder (I was in the lift line), I was sure it was broken, as were the ski patrollers. But during the bouncy ride down to the first aid room, it popped back into place. On the other hand, I have known several people who were absolutely sure their bone was not broken until a couple weeks later when it got xrayed when they finally went to see their doctors.

Must be great to be an expert self-doctor.

8:21 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Dude do not make me come down there and drag you to the Doctor..........Don't make me.............don't...............................

8:30 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Bill, dont get me wrong. But I walk, not run to doctors. None of us are perfect, including me. But I think the more you can tell your doctor the better that doctor becomes. This is not a big problem. But could become one in time. Or maybe not. Im going to try eating something warm and hiking. As this has never happened to while moving. It is a learning thing.

PS I have asked for this thread to be closed.

11:45 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Mike,

While I agree with others, you should look into potential medical issues. Dramatic changes from the norm don't just happen for no reason... I also agree with your perspective. I'm not fond of medical doctors and think most of them are misguided at best.

I did have a similar issue years ago. Enough years that it had nothing to do with age. I would get cold to the point where I would need a hot bath to stop shaking. My back muscles would cramp and spasm from it that I would give myself minor burns in the shower dumping hot water over my back while I shivered. Felt like the cold was in my bones.

All the md's could tell me after hoards of tests was that they wished their results looked like mine. After having chronic pain to the point that I had to stop hiking then worsened to the point where I couldn't push myself through a day of work anymore, I started looking into Acupuncture. Unfortunatley, the first five I went to were worthless. Fortunately, I tried one more and found an old Chineese lady that practiced acupuncture the old fashioned  way. She told me I had a severe deficiency in my liver & Gall Bladder, my adrenal glands, & heart. (ALL gall bladder problems stem from the Liver) It took about two months of weekly treatments and the most god awful tasting herbal concoction imaginable but the change was dramatic even if it was only the beginning of the odysse . I've spent the last three years putting my health back together and had a couple close calls with not making it, it's nothing I'll take for granted again.

At least go and get some blood work just to see what is not where it should be.

One other thing, your symptoms could very well be caused by a parasite. Don't ask me how I know...

2:38 a.m. on November 5, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Hot cup of something.  Warm high calorie food.  Thick warm socks.  Breathe deaper and slower.

6:35 a.m. on November 5, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Kyle, Thanks for the response. I know just what you are talking about as far as the gall bladder is conserned. I too went though that herbal treatment. Though it only took me 2 weeks. I dont realy recall being chilled at the time bacouse of the attacks(talk about pain! I would rather have my finger cut off again) , but I might not have conected the two things together. I'll look into that again, and the parasite.

Callahan said

Hot cup of something.  Warm high calorie food.  Thick warm socks.  Breathe deaper and slower.

Good advice, as I know my body shuts down faster than most ppl do. I always wear heavy socks. I just might have to include gloves allso.

9:15 p.m. on November 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I just posted about this in gear selection, but, check out the omni-heat series:

http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Baselayer-Midweight-Long-Sleeve-Top/AM6944,default,pd.html

Its fairly breathable!

9:46 a.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

It was inevitable that the girl would chime in here.....

I don't like docs either. But, as you point out in your original post....a function of age is more things start to go wrong, and unfortunately, some need docterin.....Enough people here have suggested that...I don;t need to addanother GO post. But I will suggest that a great book to help with general health and fixing minor things that could be diet related is:

HEALING WITH WHOLE FOODS

I lots of things that are annoyances that it has helped to lessen or alleviate.  They guy is a western MD with an Eastern background as well. It may help! Now, I do not buy all of the stuff in it....no offense to anyone who would or does. To each their own. But I was in way too much joint and back pain to turn down anything that might help without turning  me into a pill popping zombie. There is a section on coldness. It has become an invaluable book for me.

1:22 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Just went to ebay and picked it up. Thanks. And I might be able to create recipies for the trail. I'm very into eating healthy and staying fit.

3:13 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Mike, In an exhaustive search to help one of my friends I found this.  The self contained heated body suit.
moonsuit.jpg
Please note, this man appears to be a "happy camper"

May you never get cold again.  I contacted the company and it seems their bent on make a UL edition.

8:37 a.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thanks for the humor. But I think that people would start calling me Flash Morrow. hehe

1:35 p.m. on November 7, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

apeman said:

Mike, In an exhaustive search to help one of my friends I found this.  The self contained heated body suit.
moonsuit.jpg
Please note, this man appears to be a "happy camper"

May you never get cold again.  I contacted the company and it seems their bent on make a UL edition.

LOVE IT

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply