Trekkers stranded by bad weather on Mount Everest

11:01 a.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15589982

See what happens when a bunch of bipeds get together to play follow the guides and porters and Sherpa’s up the really tall mountain. Silly, silly hominids ;-}>

1:15 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I am sure glad I am not going in fall but spring. Most of those people are going for fall trekking as summits of Everest in November are not normal. Spring is normal, and late May is the weather limit for summit attempts. These folks don't usually even stay over a base camp, they go, look, turn around, climb Kala Pattar and head down. That is 18,500 feet max elevation for the fall tourist treks.

8:47 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I wish we heard more about the folks climbing K2 (and other difficult climbs like in Touching the Void).  I want to hear about climbing, climbers, and climber stories.  No offense meant to anyone hitting Everest, but snore.

8:52 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

There are many books about many mountains. The story here is not about the mountain, but about the tourists and the treks. No ascent happening here.

10:10 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Zeno Marx said:

I wish we heard more about the folks climbing K2 (and other difficult climbs like in Touching the Void).  I want to hear about climbing, climbers, and climber stories.  No offense meant to anyone hitting Everest, but snore.

The library and book stores have the texts, the American Alpine club, The Seattle Mountaineers are two organizations that one can comb for the info you crave. There are also several internet sites such as SummitPost.org, you can monitor for current and recent mountaineering exploits.

Ed

2:21 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
754 reviewer rep
679 forum posts

It is possible to hike out from Lukla and get a bus back to Kathmandu. I forget how long it takes, but I did in Jan '81, and quite enjoyed it after a couple of weeks of bumming round the Everest region in winter. Might be preferable to sleeping in overcrowded lodges and waiting for a flight.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply