Games people play

12:04 a.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

So, you are sitting around the fire with 6 guys (mostly acquaintances not close friends) and it's too cold to play cards. What do you do for fun other than just talking? Anybody out there have any suggestions for how to keep things interesting?

12:40 a.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Play red and black or follow the queen. :)

2:00 a.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

As long as I can move my fingers, it never too cold for cards (memorize your hand, and keep them warm in a scarf of other spare clothing article).  Chess is good too, you mostly think so you can keep you hands tucked away most of the time.

Ed

3:42 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Go to bed.

11:25 a.m. on December 7, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Welcome to TrailSpace,

Just talking about your outdoor experiences and things you would like to do is usually easy to keep going. I've not been backpacking with a group where we needed to "prime" the conversation or play games to keep things fun. Not that I haven't played cards or challenged each other with riddles, etc, which can be great fun. 

If I find myself with someone or a group that has great difficulty getting along or enjoying themselves, I will go for a walk or, as Callahan suggests, go get some sleep :)

7:19 a.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I take a hacky sack with me and I'll play around with it. Sometimes if there's others around we'll throw it around like a football.

But as far as if it's too "cold" to play cards... It's usually winter, it's usually dark early... Most of the time end up just sitting around talking for a bit, trying to stay warm by the fire and hitting the bed early. Trying to figure out when I should turn around and warm my booty is enough of a game for me.

10:10 a.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

We used to play BLUES: One guy would supply the base line..usually walking base...and then you would riff a blues lyric. It often was some lament meant to be a dig or a jibe at the others around for their gear or cloths or hygene. No hands or actual musical skill needed. We would also play name that tune. I always won because I was an ACE with the one hit wonders! It was also a game we played in the tent if we were not ready to sleep or hiding from rain.

5:06 p.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

In the winter/spring of 1980 when I hiked the high country of Yosemite from Jan to May another hiker and I play a game like chess but it had 9x9 squares instead of 8x8 and was called Shogi. It was a chinese chess game,(no marbles) instead of a king and a queen you decided whether you had a empereor or empress and then there were the regular peices to the sides of that piece, plus 9 pawns instead of 8. Pawns moved in a straight line and captured diagonally. The emperor/ress could move only one space in any direction. No castling like in chess. If any peice made it to your opponents back line and he/she had one of your captured pieces you could get the peice back on its original starting space. And if you choose you could make a piece that made it to your opponents back line and back to yours into another emperer/empress.

The game could last for days, we once played every night for two weeks, before quiting as we bored of it.

It was a small 4x4 inch board with magnetic peg pieces thats stayed in place well especially when back in the lil box.

One my own I carry cards and play solitare, tho I rarely do as by the time I am in tent after dinner I am too tired to play or I would rather sit in front of a campfire thinking about the day and tomorrow.

10:01 p.m. on December 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

Conversation and smoking a pipe (tobacco and that I usually pass around if anyone is interested) are all we've ever needed.  Someone may have lugged around a traveling backgammon set on a couple trips, but we never thought to use it.  I think even he forgot about it.

6:55 a.m. on December 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Slack-lining is always fun!

1:39 p.m. on December 11, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

What does that flame look like ?

8:23 p.m. on December 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

The flame is good. Sort of wavy with mezmerizing embers.

7:16 a.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Night hike without flashlights!

I have a series of trails that can only be followed at night.

I placed reflective tacks in trees spaced about 30 feet apart.

Let each person take turns being the lead.

People love following these trails - especially once they get used to being able to travel without a flashlight and just use a blue lightstick velcro'd onto the front of their hat for illumintaion.

I've tried all colors available and blue reflects the best.

Takes a while to set up the trail during the daylight hours - but well worth it.

A flask of your favorite hootch doesn't hurt :)

12:36 p.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

A Hula dancer ?

8:00 p.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

MikeyBob365 said:

Slack-lining is always fun!

I second that one.  Slack-lining rocks!

8:58 p.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

You may need a lantern . I play this one. A good head lamp will work.

Illuminati Deluxe

Sorry to cold for cards you can't play this either

1:18 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Too cold?  Push up contest.  Winner gets the hot chocolate.

2:34 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

CWF said:

Too cold?  Push up contest.  Winner gets the hot chocolate.

This will also warm up the fingers

2:34 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

...another hiker and I play a game like chess but it had 9x9 squares instead of 8x8 and was called Shogi. It was a chinese chess game,(no marbles) ...

Shogi is a Japanese game, that like chess, dates to an Indian game, chaturanga. There is a similar Chinese game that has a more complex board that includes diagonal lines and a "river" in addition to the square layout (don't remember the name now). The marble game is more akin to checkers, hence is often called "Chinese checkers"

3:02 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have this game called Mancala. Still trying to figure it out. Might be a bit too advanced for me.

It says 8 and up. :)

7:40 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Bill S said:

Shogi is a Japanese game...

Go! is another good Japanese game, particularly for the UL crowd - you can make both board and game pieces with materials on hand at camp.

Ed

8:17 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Frisbee golf anyone? I suppose it would be a daylight thing. But..., I'm also thinking about a glow in the dark frisbee and some target loops made of reflective cord. Warm up exercise before sleep?

9:03 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

cheaptrekking.com said:

Frisbee golf anyone? I suppose it would be a daylight thing. But..., I'm also thinking about a glow in the dark frisbee and some target loops made of reflective cord. Warm up exercise before sleep?

I've played night time disc golf was a blast ..Just need alot of trail and open space..

8:11 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

One of the biggest thrills I got when camping back in my scouting days was playing capture the flag at night.

We'd get some guys together, split up teams and use huge fields. It was awesome when a big crowd made it out; everyone trying to go stealth eventually ending up in sprinting and tackling matches.

3:15 p.m. on December 21, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

usually just talking.  trivial pursuit cards can while away some time. 

10:46 a.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

make a bigger fire

4:48 p.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Callahan said:

make a bigger fire

Or drink more whiskey.  Or both.

10:46 a.m. on December 24, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

whomee I like your thinking

8:46 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Hey I bought the kids a dart board for christmas and it got me thinking.... a roll up dart board? Maybe paint the darts bright yellow and hunters orange? Maybe some reflective stickers to help find them? Any suggestions? Bigger fire is better though, but I sort of buy in to the alcohol makes you colder theory. Im open to having my mind changed on that though :)-

3:02 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

cheaptrekking.com said:

..Bigger fire is better though, but I sort of buy in to the alcohol makes you colder theory...

Actually neither booze of big fires are good ways to retain body heat.  Both big fires and drinking are for perceived comfort only.  If you are actually in a situation where you need to conserve body heat, then leave the flask in the pack and cozy up to a fire small enough that you can get your whole body close to the flames.

Ed

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply