About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Another Internet Based Mapping Program

10:17 a.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

Check it out.  Similar to the Gmap4 program.  

CLICKITY CLICK, CLICK

10:57 a.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Looks cool. I am going to try to see if I can get the map for the hill behind my house.

11:21 a.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Man, it's too bad a bunch of the USGS quads they are using are really out of date. there are a few that the USGS has not updated in years, but  whoever put this map source together didn't use the most recent available. 

3:02 p.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

I like the USFS maps better than the USGS.  They appear to have more info.

3:33 p.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

rob5073 said:

I like the USFS maps better than the USGS.  They appear to have more info.

agreed. 

6:44 p.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

nice, this is a great compliment when used with Google Topo and trails illustrated maps.

Im sooo going to print out the detailed map of the mountain im going to climb in may.

mg

7:13 p.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

gonzan said:

Man, it's too bad a bunch of the USGS quads they are using are really out of date. there are a few that the USGS has not updated in years, but  whoever put this map source together didn't use the most recent available. 

You haven't traveled in any 3rd world countries lately, have you? At least the USGS hypsography is pretty accurate, which is more than I can say for a lot of other countries (including some supposedly 1st and 2nd world countries I have been in).

Roads and trails are a serious problem, since they change so rapidly (ok, so here in Calif, it's just that the roads deteriorate so rapidly and haven't been worked on in so many years that, although the alignments are ok, some of the "freeways" should be marked as effectively "unpaved").

Google topo isn't very good either. You would think that with the detailed sat photos available and with the automated stereo topography machines available, they could update faster. Unless you are well-trained in photo-interpretation, Google Earth and Google Maps aren't a lot of help either.

Worst part is that a lot of the computerized and on-line topo mapping programs are vector maps based on the hypsographic grid, which has 1km point spacing in some areas, and few areas with finer than 100 m spacing.

7:57 p.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Does anyone know where you can get the center line data for the AT? 

postholer.com/gmap/  uses it to make their maps.

8:34 p.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Ok, I just saw that this site has a Forest Service layer. That is awesome. 

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply