312 forum posts
Positively opportunistic and always worth going over:
I have recently found out that one of my stoves was burning inefficiently, to say the least: it was stinking and there was 'flame lift'. I set about investigating the way it burned with a slightly larger jet.* Now, there is no way I would use this stove anywhere near a tent. But the only way I discovered that it was burning 'inefficiently' in the first place was due to the fact that we had a black out/ power out and I had to make tea (of course), forgetting to open a window in the process and finding the entire house full of fumes.*
It appears that using a stove with confidence in the alcove of a tent is not unknown here in the UK, and I confess to having done this (and worse*) myself. Apparently, there are some cultural differences, possibly as a result of weather (and midges), between the US and the UK (see this post on a sub-Reddit), when it comes to perceptions of the dangers involved. A recent tragedy suggests these differences are not moot and any important points (such as whether or not adequate ventilation, escape, evacuation space and opening, is being assumed) should be hammered out.
Hence, I think it bears reiterating that the use of a stove inside, or even in the alcove, of a tent, is stupid, no matter how bad or good you think your stove might be at combustion. The same would apply for any gas powered lamps, lanterns etc. To demonstrate the cogency of this assertion, of this truism, we have the recent tragedy of a chap in the UK, who remains in a CO-induced coma as of the time of writing.
I must say, I was a bit shocked when I read about the above event. The shameful thing is, however, is that I was surprised more by the consequences of the action than the action itself. In other words, I am guilty of using a stove (not a lantern) inside or near a tent in the past, putting myself and others in some form of danger, of assuming that it "could never happen to me".
(And this is to say nothing of fire risk, or of the risk through falling asleep as you are 'simmering', and so on and so forth.)
Today I have the opportunity to learn from someone else's mistake.
PS: Could someone comment on the safety of those lanterns that burn on top of gas cannisters - I've never used one and never will (preferring mini-LEDs) - it would be interesting to know what people should be/are doing with them.
PPS: I was reminded of this by Hiking Jim's post in the kitchen forum.
*Danger: this is not a safe or intelligent thing to do!