Missing backpacker found alive after 3 weeks with her pet cat?

4:00 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So I thought since we are discussing how many cats we can stuff in a backpack I figured I would add to the whole kitty conversation:

She is very lucky...

4:25 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Astounding.

Always tell someone where you are really going! Always take a cat!

Funny, they reckon "that thick blue sleeping bag" is the reason she survived - don't they know that all loft is not equal?! Obviously the cat was sharing mice with her. I am also surprised the newscasters never referred to 'the cat being out of the bag'.

4:27 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
Re: Missing backpacker found alive after close too 1 month with her pet cat?

The thing that stood out to me is that she told her family she was heading to Florida.

This is the wrong way to leave an itinerary. 

4:31 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Perhaps she was taking the long road?

Lucky, anyway, especially considering how long it took em to start searching and put two and two together.

4:37 p.m. on March 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Pathloser said:

Perhaps she was taking the long road?

She was definitely off the grid. 

11:23 a.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

I am curious, what happened that made her in capable of walking out on her own?  There was no snow on the ground, and the terrain was not extreme.  Also who takes a cat on a day hike in the mountains?  Something seems fishy here.

Ed

2:58 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

whomeworry said:

I am curious, what happened that made her in capable of walking out on her own?  There was no snow on the ground, and the terrain was not extreme.  Also who takes a cat on a day hike in the mountains?  Something seems fishy here.

Ed

This could have something to do with it:

"Family members reported her missing Feb 14. But for various reasons, authorities didn't start searching for her until this week. The 41-year-old Page, who has a history of mental illness, was found Wednesday emaciated and malnourished but well-hydrated."

Taken from the artical on the below link:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/09/missing-hiker-found-with-cat-in-new-mexico-forest/

5:57 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

mental illness explains everything that cant be explained

8:08 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

WOW.

11:10 a.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

"Cat ladies" certainly are at the margins of our society and receive quite a bit of ridicule (I probably have been guilty of a joke or two).  But, this really highlights for me the bond that exists between the lady AND the cat.  Pathloser is right... the cat was probably sharing nourishment with her and warmth and safety.  Wow.

If only human beings were quite as loyal... :)

2:52 p.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

she's lucky to have survived.  the cat is no surprise at all - they are hunters and survivors by nature.  

3:20 p.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Cleric said:

"Cat ladies" certainly are at the margins of our society and receive quite a bit of ridicule (I probably have been guilty of a joke or two).  But, this really highlights for me the bond that exists between the lady AND the cat.  Pathloser is right... the cat was probably sharing nourishment with her and warmth and safety.  Wow.

If only human beings were quite as loyal... :)

Not shure how much nourishment there was to share, as it was reported that she only brought one bag of pretzels on her journey.  A bit shy of the necessary calories for a three week trip into the backcountry.  I would say that something was amiss in her thought process as she was found starving and could have mearly waked out as well as she told everyone she was going to FL and then did what she did.  We will only know when and if she comes foward and can explain what happend. 

1:46 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

Since the cat survived we know she never got too hungry

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply