Ueli Steck in the Himilayas...

12:42 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Apparently he wants to break a few records. 

Should take him a week or 2 lol. Either way it is definitely going to be interesting to see what kind of times he throws down. 

I know this is from 2011 but either way its a pretty interesting piece when ya watch all 3 together.

2:38 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

As I'm on dial up I cannot look at the videos.  I do however get the opening pictures.  Has anyone figured out what tents are being used?  I can see a logo in the first video on the very right of the tent but cannot make it out.   I'll do my best to get to a high speed conection and check it out myself but it's just not possible at the moment.  After vewing the first part of the third video it always strikes me how much gear is needed to accomplish summiting some peaks.

2:53 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

very cool video.  Remember to stay healthy though.

3:11 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

As I'm on dial up I cannot look at the videos.  I do however get the opening pictures.  Has anyone figured out what tents are being used?I can see a logo in the first video on the very right of the tent but cannot make it out.   I'll do my best to get to a high speed conection and check it out myself but it's just not possible at the moment.  After vewing the first part of the third video it always strikes me how much gear is needed to accomplish summiting some peaks.

Mountain Hardwear(he is one of their athletes):

First vid is the Direkt 2.

The other tents I believe are Trango's although the entrance looks a lil off on the vesti. Could be a Satellite?

Can't really tell on the larger models. I think its either a Space Station or a Stronghold. 

Model wise all except for the Direkt 2 are guesses to some extent. 

3:45 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

Yeah, so!? I can climb the hill in my backyard in UNDER 10 1/2 hrs! Take that Steck.

Did you watch the video where he climbs the nose in Yosemite twice in two days! Him and Alex Honnold aren't a shabby team.

4:03 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jake, this one?

4:22 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

This is the one I was referring to Rick, although same idea.

4:36 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

In that first video it kind of amazed me he was using a Jet Boil and not the liquid feed one.  He sat his coffee pot on top of it with out the pot support.

4:51 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jake W said:

This is the one I was referring to Rick, although same idea.

Ahhhh yes. I have seen this. Good stuff.

8:23 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,363 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

The other tents I believe are Trango's although the entrance looks a lil off on the vesti. Could be a Satellite?

Trango 3.1 (I have one) for the mid-size, Stronghold for the large one. Direkt 2 for the small one. The front vestibule has 2 entrances, one to either side of the midline.

8:34 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks for the heads up on that Bill. I thought they were Trangos but wasn't quite sure.  I definitely didn't know what model Trango. 

2:09 a.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
584 forum posts

Wow, crazy stuff.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply