Gaz cartridge use with Pocket Rocket

10:10 a.m. on January 23, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

I currently have a lantern and stove by Gaz. I damaged one of the support arms on the stove and I'm thinking of replacing it (the stove) with the Pocket Rocket by MSR. Does anybody know if the Gaz cartridges will work with the pocket rocket?

Or, does anybody know if I can get a replacement "arm" for my stove?

11:15 a.m. on January 23, 2002 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Scott, the MSR SuperFly will accept the Bluet cartridges....

By the time you do research and pay for the arm and shipping you probobaly would do better to get the MSR and have the ability to select from different brands of fuel.

I too have the Bluet stove and lantern. I haven't used the lantern in six years. I hate the bright light around camp. I even hate candle lanterns. I prefer the soft illumination of light sticks.

Did you know that Parrallel Trail now extends from Sea Camp dock all the way up to Hickory Hill?

1:37 p.m. on January 23, 2002 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

The only appliances that accept the Gaz (Bleuet, Camping Gaz, owned by Coleman, which is owned by Sunbeam) are the Gaz-branded ones and a couple of Asian imitations. Gaz is very popular in Europe. Most of the butane cartridges (butane/isobutane/propane mixtures) by other manufacturers use the Lindahl valve (MSR, Primus, Snowpeak, even certain Coleman stoves). The Lindahl looks at first glanceto be the same size as the newer Gaz attachment (270/470 cartridges), but is a little shorter and is threaded, making for a more positive attachment. If you have the 100-series cartridges or the 200/206 cartridges, you only have the choice of Gaz 100-series stoves or Gaz 200 stoves or the Asian imitations.

As Ed said, you probably would spend more time and energy looking for a replacement arm than it is worth. You might try Play It Again Sports, a national chain of stores that buy and re-sell used sporting goods. Our local stores often have a large number of used backpacking stoves, including various Gaz models. Also check the EMS and REI "scratched and dented" sections and sales. They may have old rental stoves (got a perfectly good Whisperlite International for $5 that way, just needed a little cleaning).

If you have a bunch of unused Gaz cartridges in the 270/470 series and don't want to get another Gaz stove, consider the MSR Superfly. This is the only stove which takes both Lindahl and the Gaz 270/470 cartridges. It is a very good stove, which I use a lot. If you don't have more than a couple leftover cartridges and will use the much more available Lindahl-valved cartridges (available in many parts of the world, whereas Gaz cartridges are pretty rare outside Europe and the US), then consider the Pocket Rocket or one of the other MSR stoves, Snowpeak, or various of the Primus stoves. Also, the Primus MFS (called the Himalayan MultiFuel stove) can use both liquid fuels and Lindahl-valved compressed gas cartridges.

One strange thing about Coleman - they currently sell compressed gas stoves with at least 5 different fittings - the Maxx "X-stove" series, Lindahl-valved, Gaz appliances, and 2 different propane fittings (in semi-portable stoves, plus the large-tank versions).

3:28 p.m. on January 23, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

Ok...let me see if I'm understanding this correctly....if I buy the superfly I will be able to operate my Gaz lantern and superfly stove using Gaz fuel. However, the lantern will only operate using Gaz fuel. This is an interesting dilema. I guess my options are the following...1.) Buy a new Gaz stove. This way, I continue to have a stove and lantern that run on the same fuel. (2) Buy the Superfly and be able to operate both on Gaz fuel. (3) Replace both the lantern and stove.

Thanks for the information. I personally don't really like using the lantern either but my wife likes for me to lug it around.

This would be a lot easier if everybody would use the same type of mounts.

Quote:

The only appliances that accept the Gaz (Bleuet, Camping Gaz, owned by Coleman, which is owned by Sunbeam) are the Gaz-branded ones and a couple of Asian imitations. Gaz is very popular in Europe. Most of the butane cartridges (butane/isobutane/propane mixtures) by other manufacturers use the Lindahl valve (MSR, Primus, Snowpeak, even certain Coleman stoves). The Lindahl looks at first glanceto be the same size as the newer Gaz attachment (270/470 cartridges), but is a little shorter and is threaded, making for a more positive attachment. If you have the 100-series cartridges or the 200/206 cartridges, you only have the choice of Gaz 100-series stoves or Gaz 200 stoves or the Asian imitations.

As Ed said, you probably would spend more time and energy looking for a replacement arm than it is worth. You might try Play It Again Sports, a national chain of stores that buy and re-sell used sporting goods. Our local stores often have a large number of used backpacking stoves, including various Gaz models. Also check the EMS and REI "scratched and dented" sections and sales. They may have old rental stoves (got a perfectly good Whisperlite International for $5 that way, just needed a little cleaning).

If you have a bunch of unused Gaz cartridges in the 270/470 series and don't want to get another Gaz stove, consider the MSR Superfly. This is the only stove which takes both Lindahl and the Gaz 270/470 cartridges. It is a very good stove, which I use a lot. If you don't have more than a couple leftover cartridges and will use the much more available Lindahl-valved cartridges (available in many parts of the world, whereas Gaz cartridges are pretty rare outside Europe and the US), then consider the Pocket Rocket or one of the other MSR stoves, Snowpeak, or various of the Primus stoves. Also, the Primus MFS (called the Himalayan MultiFuel stove) can use both liquid fuels and Lindahl-valved compressed gas cartridges.

One strange thing about Coleman - they currently sell compressed gas stoves with at least 5 different fittings - the Maxx "X-stove" series, Lindahl-valved, Gaz appliances, and 2 different propane fittings (in semi-portable stoves, plus the large-tank versions).

3:32 p.m. on January 23, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M.
Re: Scott, the MSR SuperFly will accept the Bluet cartridges....

Quote:

By the time you do research and pay for the arm and shipping you probobaly would do better to get the MSR and have the ability to select from different brands of fuel.

I too have the Bluet stove and lantern. I haven't used the lantern in six years. I hate the bright light around camp. I even hate candle lanterns. I prefer the soft illumination of light sticks.

Did you know that Parrallel Trail now extends from Sea Camp dock all the way up to Hickory Hill?

I'm not sure I knew about the trail extending further. When I went in October we all stayed at Stafford. Day hiked up to Plum Orchard.

6:32 p.m. on January 23, 2002 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts
Yeah, but....

Quote:

Ok...let me see if I'm understanding this correctly....

*** Yes, you understand correctly.

Quote:

This would be a lot easier if everybody would use the same type of mounts.

Yeah, but then you just might look at their competitors, and then not buy more of their stuff. See, this way, you lock people into your proprietary system. (buy Windows, then you have to have IE, and Word, and Excel, and Powerpoint, and sign up for MSN, and ... ). Now, if you can explain why Coleman has so many different connectors. (Yeah, I know, they are maintaining backward compatability).

6:12 a.m. on January 24, 2002 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
You gotta quit going to Stafford!........

Stafford is almost as much a tourist campsite as SeaCamp is (Oh honey, 3 miles is all I'll ever be able to hike). True beauty of the island begins with the "wilderness area". This boundry begins just south of hickory hill. You can camp at Yankee Paradise or Hickory and never see another person for days - unless you want to.

Strongly suggest going to Brickhill at least once. There you camp on the rivers edge. You can practically reach down from the vestibule of your tent and grab clams to have for dinner.

8:13 a.m. on January 24, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M
Re: You gotta quit going to Stafford!........

Yeah, I hear ya. Actually, every time I've ever gone to Stafford there has only been one or two other people besides my group. We picked Stafford this time because we had a group of 7....and it's so close to the beach. I hope to make it to the north end sometime but need a longer stay. To stay at Yankees I'd need to go in the winter. In late summer we day hiked there and were nearly sucked dry by all the mosquitoes.

Quote:

Stafford is almost as much a tourist campsite as SeaCamp is (Oh honey, 3 miles is all I'll ever be able to hike). True beauty of the island begins with the "wilderness area". This boundry begins just south of hickory hill. You can camp at Yankee Paradise or Hickory and never see another person for days - unless you want to.

Strongly suggest going to Brickhill at least once. There you camp on the rivers edge. You can practically reach down from the vestibule of your tent and grab clams to have for dinner.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply