Love Second hand stores SCORE

6:39 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

In the last two days I've picked up a Walrus Tunnel Vision 2 tent and a Lowe Alpines Walkabout 35 backpack. All for $16.50. It seems that the old gear is coming out.

6:49 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Sweet !!!

8:09 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Your thrift stores are way better than mine.  I'm lucky to see an Ozark trails.

8:25 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Na, John I'm in a little town on the Oregon coast. Not much here. I just go every other day. If you miss a day you could miss a deal. And if you find something you better go back soon cuz one doesn't unload a tent without unloading other gear. They might not bring it out right away. For every 50 visits I might find one steal. I'm keeping my eye out for the stove now.

9:19 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Good score!

I recently got a pair of insulated Bonfire snowboard pants with the tags still attached...in my size for $3.74 at Goodwill on John's Island SC.

I also got a Coleman white gas classic suitcase stove in good condition for $8.00 at the same store.

I also got a Helly Hanson shell for around $7.00. I found it in the women's section....I will wear it anyway 'cause it is cool.

10:19 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Is Helly Hanson a good name? Guess I'm heading back to the store tomorrow.

1:54 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Oldie but a goodie

2:14 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
261 forum posts

Second hand stores have been a huge way for me to buy good gear (we're going out to get dirty anyway right?) at good prices. Ebay has also been very very good to me. My best friend has scored ridiculously well at REI garage sales (I've done pretty well a couple times, too).

Yah, I wish I had money to buy new, top drawer fresh gear, but, you know, the gear doesn't make my experience any more beautiful, my friendships any better, the silence any deeper...

3:14 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Somethings I dont mind getting second hand. Mainly my outdoor layer clothing. Merino wool tops can be found for just afew dollars, if I trash it Im not to concerned, Ill get another one for $6 again. Also jackets for car camping and such, $10 all day long. Go ahead and dry it by the fire.........whoops dang it melted another one.  :P

I havent found any good gear deals yet but I'll keep looking.

Nice score mike

4:17 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

mikemorrow, that Walrus tent is a real beauty!

I would love to find some old Helly Hansen fibre pile, especially the one I got for my birthday when I was a teenager. Shortly afterward, fleece took over.

All I ever see in the secondhand shops is junk. It used to be a good place to find film cameras but ebay put paid to that, along with other useful gear.

9:07 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'll take a better look at that HH at the store today. I've been eying it. Just didn't know anything about it. It would be to warm for me but I would sell it at cost plus shipping if someone would want it.

9:15 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Your thrift stores must be graced by the outdoor gods, 'cause I don't find much of anything good in the ones around here :)

10:15 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Nice score Mike!  the coast is the place to get rainwear used too I bet.

I love 2nd hand stores!  I just got a EB down jacket for my older boy; stained but summit-worthy. 

Never fear Gonz, the people who buy brand new arcteryx, patagonia, etc.  stuff always get rid of it eventually, I mean, what if a new color comes out?

12:55 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
1,339 reviewer rep
261 forum posts

My guess is that the size of the city, and the interest of the citizens in outdoor pursuits will affect the quantity and quality of recycled goods available in the stores...

3:35 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Your thrift stores are way better than mine.  I'm lucky to see an Ozark trails.

same with me...never anything good here.

3:46 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Same here in Pittsburgh. If ya ever want some Rocawear, Steelers jerseys, basketball jerseys, etc for you outdoor forays let me know. 

Anything outdoor gear/clothing related is nowhere to be found. 

5:31 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm in a little backward town. A good job is one that you can work all year long, part time, and at min wage. I don't know where this stuff comes from. Maybe the houses on the hill, they have some money.

Anyway I went back and looked at that HH jacket. Not bad Fleece zippered liner, water resistance shell, four outer pockets, with hood. It had several faults that I found. Bottom line.....$30. I thought that was a bit high so I didn't pick it up. Anyone want some Oregon ducks, or Beavers stuff. LOL

I reckon that most of you guys would miss out on the stuff I pick up too. I go every day, and most the time walk out with nothing.

If this guy got rid of the Walrus tent just what else did he drop of. I'm keeping my eyes open for the Svea 123 that he dropped off for $3.50. I can dream can't I?

BTW Rita scored a pair of Merrell Encore Breeze shoes todayfor $9 new.  hehe

6:07 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,089 forum posts

Great scores mike.I have a goodwill close but it doesn't have good outdoor equiptment.

6:38 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

Yeah I never get anything either. Toronto is too big and too business oriented. Stupid city!

9:19 a.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
468 reviewer rep
1,084 forum posts

The LL bean truck used to arrive at my local goodwill every Thursday (I live in Maine) and unload the most wonderful cache of gear.  Incredible stuff.  They haven't done that for years and I miss it dearly!

10:36 a.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I don't know if it is different around the country but I understand that Goodwill sells, not only local donations but also receives items from around the region so even if you aren't living in a town with Cadilac and Hummer dealerships you might get lucky from a donation that came from another area.  Geep looking.  As a matter of fact, I have really good luck here at our thrift stores (one down jacket, one army goretex and three kids gortex jackets) if I find anything good I'll snag it and offer it here for cost plus postage.   

I promise I won't become a hoarder! LOL!

Jeff

12:33 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,089 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

I don't know if it is different around the country but I understand that Goodwill sells, not only local donations but also receives items from around the region so even if you aren't living in a town with Cadilac and Hummer dealerships you might get lucky from a donation that came from another area.  Geep looking.  As a matter of fact, I have really good luck here at our thrift stores (one down jacket, one army goretex and three kids gortex jackets) if I find anything good I'll snag it and offer it here for cost plus postage.   

I promise I won't become a hoarder! LOL!

Jeff

I guess I'll keep checking back once every 2 weeks to see.

5:21 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

1999 Trek 520 touring bike with rack bag and a few assorted tools - $7.42 with sales tax.  Best score I will likely ever find.

5:43 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

alan said:

1999 Trek 520 touring bike with rack bag and a few assorted tools - $7.42 with sales tax.  Best score I will likely ever find.

That is a smokin hot deal....................good score 

6:07 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thats a wicked deal! And I thought that I had the market on killer deals. LOL

5:00 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

The bike was leaning against the building so I had to wait for the clerk to bring the bike inside and put a price on the bike.  I waited right by the door, I was quite familiar with what I was getting.  I nearly fainted when I saw the price, I would easily have paid over $100.  The bike is my size and rides very nicely, a step up from my other road bike, a 1980 Trek 412 bought new when I was in high school.

5:54 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Both are nice bikes but you sure did get a good deal on the 520. It's truly amazing what people give and even through away. I still dumpster dive and got some great stuff the other day. My injury has limited my diving but I'm still able to get some stuff out.  Sprained two fingers pulling out some 50 lb. bags of gravel the other day, had to leave the other tow as I can get in the dumpster right now.  Don't know why they could not have given them away rather than throw them away.  We are truly a wasteful society but at least there are some who are willing to accept the castoff's of what is either given away or thrown away.

When I lived in Boulder CO years ago it would be a joyess time of the year when the collage students would graduate and then throw everything away as Mommy and Daddy would fly them home and buy them all new stuff. It was truly a free for all. I would guess it to still be the same in any collage towns in America. I get much of my used gear off of Craigslist in collage towns. Around here we have the navy. When guys/families get shipped out they often throw out or give away cool stuff as they just can‘t ship all the stuff they gather. That is one of the reasons, amongst others, that we have a great Goodwill here. I often find good stuff on the free section of Craigslist but one must be on top of that site as there are people who sit there and monitor it all day/night long.

11:09 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I do resale shops all the time. Saw what I thought was a darned breast-pump and wondered who the heck would put something like that out there; yuck! Of course, I had to go look closer and started finding parts, instructions, repair kit, outer case then finally had a brand new, 100% complete MSR MiniWorks Water purifier. Cost me a whole $1.80. Curiousity pays off at times.

11:25 p.m. on April 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I would have been happy with just a ceramic element at that price. 

12:21 a.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Some second hand shops won't carry sporting goods-worried about liability, I think. There is a chain called Play It Again Sports that is all used sports gear. Not too many of them around, though.

Craigslist is pretty good. I use Craigslist Reader, a free program that trolls through every city list on the planet, if you want. I found my latest purchase, a winter bag, that way. EBay tends to be pricier because people often have no idea what things are worth and bid them up beyond what is a bargain.

I've bought a fair amount of used gear, including a couple of tents, ski boots, winter parka, sleeping bag, plus some new gear at cheap prices, including a couple of stoves and a really nice compass.

One thing I would never buy used is climbing gear-too iffy as to its history.

1:45 a.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I think I may  have a problem....... while getting ready to move, packing things up and just going thru things, Ive made a couple of trips to goodwill to drop things off the last week or two.  Problem is, today I took 5 shirts and a jacket to  drop off. They had 50% off everything sale going on.  Left with 5 shirts.

Im not making any room in my closet!

3:03 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Lowe Alpine Walkabout 35
100_0905.jpg

Walrus Tunnel Vision 2
100_0890.jpg

And now off Ebay. Badly listed. New with tags EMS Gore Tex Bivi for under $30

100_0901.jpg

100_0898.jpg
100_0899.jpg

1:04 a.m. on April 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,339 reviewer rep
261 forum posts

Watch for misspellings on Ebay.  I scored a $200 bag for $50 for my daughter because the poster misspelled the listing.  Look around on nearby cities on Craigslist, too.  Sometimes if you will pay postage, people will work with you.

6:17 p.m. on June 21, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

How about a new Platypus Plusbottle Holster for $2

3:12 p.m. on June 22, 2012 (EDT)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Jake W said:

Yeah I never get anything either. Toronto is too big and too business oriented. Stupid city!

C'mon, Jake. MEC does just fine, there. Just got to check the Goodwill stores out in Yuppieville!

4:40 p.m. on June 22, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I just bought  a Lowe Alpine large bcakpack at a store here in Jackson Hole, (WY) called Browse and Buy for $10. Its yellow and black and was once used for the Grand Teton Climbing Club, even has it patch and logo stitched on the back.

Last spring I bought a Jansport large backpack for $20 in Tucson at Goodwill.

Thrift shops, Goodwill and other shop like them are great for good deals on used equipment. Except for my socks and underwear all my clothes and equipment for the outdoors are second hand from thrift stores.

9:51 p.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

It's funny you should mention socks. How about 2 pair of Smart Wool and 3 pair of Wigwams for 5 bucks.

12:11 a.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

Garage sales are another great source of cheap/inexpensive gear. In the last few months I've picked up a Kelty Yosemite 5300 pack ($10), a Mountain Hardwear rain jacket ($7), a Columbia winter jacket ($5) and North Face nylon shell pants ($1)...all in near perfect condition. Probably didn't need the pack, but at that price I figured it would make a great backup/loaner.

8:56 a.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

the stores around here never have anything worth much unless you feel like camping with a pressure cooker or an almost complete game of monopoly.  altough one time i was in there lookin around and saw a cannon 7.1 megapixel digital camera.  i asked the lady if it worked and she said "don't know" so I asked here how much and she shrugged and said, "a dollar".  i have been using that camera for bout 3 yrs now and it takes great pics.

3:34 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
843 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

I bought a Cascade Designs Thermarest Guide Lite long for $3.00 in new condition. 

3:37 p.m. on August 14, 2012 (EDT)
843 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

My wife bought me  a Mont-Bell Main Squeeze regular synthetic sleeping bag with storage sack, for $10.00 at Goodwill.  The bag appeared to be in perfect condition.  I have used it a few times.

7:24 a.m. on August 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

My wife is the manager of a thrift store. I have become a hoarder. I have found some amazing things. Last week I got an ems 3000 with two add on pockets for 4 dollars, an ems alpine 40 sleeping bag for 3 dollars it is last yrs model and a 1987 ems cruiser lite 40 sleeping bag for 2.50. I found a mystery ranch satl bridger assault pack at a garage sale on craigs list for $35. I have gotten maybe 20 merino wool sweaters and many pairs of merrills or other decent hiking shoes. Im gonna do a major shoe pif here in the future. I think it depends where you live, im in nh with a lot of outdoors kind of people. The smaller towns seem to have the best stuff, they send the junk or stuff they dont want or cant sell to the bigger cities. A truck shows up at my wifes store every two weeks and picks up their junk. The send it to springfield mass and people buy the dirtiest,nastiest clothes and just general junk.

1:45 p.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

not the best score on this thread, but yesterday is found a mountain hardwear synchro (i think) nearly new jacket for $6 at my goodwill. i go in at least once a week, and finally found something!

3:46 a.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
22 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

My person best was finding a Whisperlite and 22oz msr fuel bottle at a garage sale for $2. Probably not going to find anything else like that for a long time.

7:12 p.m. on December 14, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Has anybody ever seen a gallon of dr. bronners? Well they make one, my wife had one donated today. I had been opened and was missing about six ounces, they were gonna throw it away. My wife thought she recognized the label so she called and started reading the label to me. I started laughing and told her what it was. Anyway, they gave it to me for free. Some kind of rule about not selling open cleaning products. So I got 120+ ounces of bronners for nothing, I wonder how much a gallon even sells for, not cheap thats for sure.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply