Of all the things to look out for, now we get to look for booby traps as well, sheesh

1:17 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Lucky for all these were found by a Ranger with Military experiance before anyone was hurt.  It's strange world out there...............

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/trail_men_arrested_for_planting_4WBI4XBwA23JDacLkQBVjL

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53961459-78/traps-booby-officer-area.html.csp

1:21 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
Re: Of all thethings to look out for nwo we get to look for booby traps as well, sheesh

sounds like two crash test dummies just volunteered

1:21 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts
Re: Of all thethings to look out for nwo we get to look for booby traps as well, sheesh

How can that only be a misdemeanor?

1:28 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

How can that only be a misdemeanor?

Because no one got hurt.  They say it was all in fun?  Like, "it's all fun and games till you rip someones head off."  I don't know.  Young stupid male behavior that was then bragged about on Facebook resulting in them getting caught.  Generally until you actually hurt someone it's a misdemeanor, once someone is hurt it's a felony.

1:32 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Hmmm, doesn't seem like "all in fun" to me.  It seems like "intent to maim or kill" ... amazing that the "intent" is just a misdemeanor.

1:35 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally think it could fall under attempted manslaughter or even attempted homicide although the criteria somewhat varies from state to state, etc.

Plus the fact that there really wasn't a victim probably came into play being noone actually got hurt so the Reckless Endangerment charge was probably all they could have received.

If someone was actually hurt by these "traps" then things would have been alot different.

I think these 2 morons just got off easy. 

1:44 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Tweedle dee and tweedle dumb did get lucky. Also lucky the park ranger is ex-military and recognised the trip wire. I think they should be charged with a felony personally. They knowingly did this with malice intended. We would have to ask giftof gab her opinion on tyhe subject...

9:19 p.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I saw that trap in a movie. It sprung on guy setting it up and he died. What was the name of that stinky movie again? It was a real bore that is why I can't remember the name.

8:15 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

I thought backpacking was supposed to help my mild PTSD haha. Nothing to worry about, just out for a nice relaxing stroll. Now I gotta get back in the mode of looking for IEDs and trip wires. Bah!

10:07 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

We used to be on the lookout for these when we fought wildland fire.  Evidently many of the clandestine drug labs and grow operations use these to protect their operations.  You guys in California should know these well. 

To me, a booby trap defeats its purpose because, once the boobytraps are reported to police, and they will be, it will lead the authorities straight to the illegal operation.  This article just sounds like a Bevis and Butthead  operation just trying out things hey read about in some wing-nut survivalist magazine. 

Thanks for posting the link Ape, it reminds us of another hazard to be mindful of. 

11:44 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Misdemeanor my ass, what about attempted murder ????????????????

4:14 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

5:44 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Hmmm, I guess I'm showing my ignorance since I haven't seen Hunger Games, but I had no idea it was about people trying to maim and kill each other.

I'm glad I haven't seen it..

6:01 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

Hmmm, I guess I'm showing my ignorance since I haven't seen Hunger Games, but I had no idea it was about people trying to maim and kill each other.

I'm glad I haven't seen it..

Here is a recent blog in regards to this movie:

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2012/03/23/hunger-games-outdoors-survival-effect.html

6:12 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Thanks, actually I saw that.  So I guess "maiming and killing" is the unwritten agenda in "survival skills"?

Ugh.

6:41 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

Maybe in the Sudan.

11:31 p.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
588 forum posts

Not knowing the actual facts of the case, the following is based upon the reports I have read. If those reports are true, the two men might have been charged with the felony of reckless endangerment in the first degree; as they certainly appear to have showed depraved indifference to human life. Mantrap laws may also be applicable, especially since the mantraps were not set on the property of the defendants.

Alas, Utah doesn't recognize the crime of attempted depraved indifference homicide. However, most of Utah is Federal land and the posts didn't state whether the Forest Service officer was State or Federal, and the jurisdiction where the crime occurred. I am surprised by a misdemeanor charge, but additional charges will probably be forthcoming and there seem to be plenty of felonies to choose from.

8:10 a.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

@bheiser1,

I have seen it and yes it largely a gladiatorial deal ( more about killing than maiming). Set in a future America, combatants are selected via a lottery of sorts to represent their districts in the "games". They fight to the death in a woodland "arena" while also trying to survive in nature. It's targeted to the teenage demographic.

I didn't think it was very good.

11:32 a.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

@Patman, thanks for that description.  "It's targeted to the teenage demographic" pretty well sums it up I guess.  I suppose every generation thinks this way, but it's hard to imagine what they're thinking now. 

12:15 p.m. on April 25, 2012 (EDT)
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

I pre-screened the book for my kids; basically its grownups making kids murder each other.  An exciting book built on a very disturbing premise.  I think the author was going for an anti-war message. 

6:49 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I hope that they get punished for this act

9:48 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Most of the time when you hear about the CHARGES, it is the booking charges, not the charges levied by the DA or the Federal Prosecutor. Once the prosecutor gets the file and sees what is in it, he could charge more charges or different charges.

9:57 p.m. on April 26, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

giftogab said:

Most of the time when you hear about the CHARGES, it is the booking charges, not the charges levied by the DA or the Federal Prosecutor. Once the prosecutor gets the file and sees what is in it, he could charge more charges or different charges.

I personally hope they get nailed to the wall. 

12:57 a.m. on April 27, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I personally hope they get nailed to the wall. 

Whatever the punishment, hopefully it will be enough to ensure they never pull a life-threatening stunt like that again.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply