Lost ,,,,,, not so much

1:09 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Victoria Grover, Utah Hiker, Survives 4 Days In Dixie National Forest.

Be careful taking the next step.

1:10 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
Re: Lost
1:44 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Apparently it was more than 4 days:

It was difficult for her to continue, so she used a walking stick and created a splint. She crawled about 30 years to Sand Creek in order to rehydrate.

The media always get the story correct, don't they?

1:49 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

The article has rampant grammar and proof reading problems.

Glad they found her and she'll be ok. 

2:34 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

She said a survival course she took 40 years earlier at BYU had helped her..

3:26 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts
Re

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/30/victoria-grover_n_1463555.html?ref=topbar

I know we harp on being prepared, even on day hikes, but this is a good example why.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54014522-78/grover-pain-leg-foot.html.csp#disqus_thread

A different version of the story-the comments are interesting.

3:26 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

"Victoria Grover went through the ordeal of a lifetime after she suffered through hunger and a pain from a broken leg while stranded alone in the Utah's wilderness." (emphasis added.

I was shocked to learn a broken leg could cause hunger.

3:33 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
Re: Another Lesson Learned the Hard Way-Hiker Rescued

I bet she changes her approach to her trip as far as preparation goes. I would also be willing to bet she starts leaving an itinerary with friends/loved ones. 

She is lucky. 

4:20 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
Re: Another Lesson Learned the Hard Way-Hiker Rescued

very lucky

7:12 a.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Solo hiking and left no itinerary with others.  No means to start a fire, and minimal warm clothing.  Evidently they didn't teach her in that survival course that the lessons imparted should be applied before you get in trouble. 

Ed

12:35 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

You all take a lot of liberties with your assumptions. As always there is much more to the story then reported. I have never met so many people who have never sinned and are so ready with the first stone. I hope if misfortune sets upon you, maybe a crash in rainy weather....why didn't you go slower, have new tires, etc.... that you do not make headlines and get to find out that the country is full of truly self righteous people who have never had misfortune befall them.

1:53 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

mo480 said:

...  find out that the country is full of truly self righteous people who have never had misfortune befall them.

On the contrary, mo480. Most of us have seen or heard of too many similar cases, or have actually made some of the same mistakes.

A broken leg can happen to anyone. I don't see anybody insulting the victim; instead I see them pointing out the errors she made so that other people can try to avoid them. We're not judging, but just trying to help others learn from her mistakes.

1:54 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

mo480 said:

You all take a lot of liberties with your assumptions. As always there is much more to the story then reported. that you do not make headlines and get to find out that the country is full of truly self righteous people who have never had misfortune befall them.

So, no itinerary left with others, not really much mention as far as bases being covered in regards to the ten essentials from what I gathered from the story(I've also read it from other sources as well) there was more of a lack of than anything else being the very minimal resources she had at her disposal(ie; no food, shelter, jacket, etc.), and no mention of a way to communicate with the outside world(no mention of a cell phone/etc.)

...and solo

I have never met so many people who have never sinned and are so ready with the first stone.

No, we are not all non-sinners. We just know what precautionary measures to take so we ensure that we hike another day. Things are alot different when one is solo and therefore so is the approach to said trips.

It seems as though you are kinda falling into the same criteria as you state above based on the fact that you have no idea of our experience levels nor do you have any idea of what our skill levels are but are still being somewhat "judgmental" of the members that have posted here.

Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black in a sense. 

I hope if misfortune sets upon you, maybe a crash in rainy weather....why didn't you go slower, have new tires, etc...

Interesting perspective.

that you do not make headlines and get to find out that the country is full of truly self righteous people who have never had misfortune befall them.

I have had quite a few misfortunes happen too me while out and about but I was actually prepared to deal with them. Its called trip planning and being prepared for the unexpected. If you spend enough time on trail you should know that the situations we do not expect happen quite often...

The biggest thing about a situation like this is it could have all been avoided with a bit more preparation.

Her life was on the line for no reason, Sheriff's Deputies/volunteers were utilized to a larger degree(searching) for no reason. It just seems as though with a little more preparation as well as thought in regards to "calculated risks" some if not all of this could have been avoided.

She even stated towards the end of the video that she should have told someone where she was going. 

I am glad to hear she is okay. At the same time I think it is safe to assume she learned a valuable lesson from her ordeal and I hope others that hear of the story learn from it as well.

Hope for the best but expect the worst but most of all prepare and plan.

1:58 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Dear Mo480, 

First, let me welcome you to Trailspace.

This is a community of outdoors people who are enthusiastic and dedicated to pursuing and helping others experience the best the outdoors has to offer. Part of that dedication includes learning and sharing how to have the safest and most enjoyable adventures. 

As a side note, I am a little confused by your comment. After carefully reviewing the comments above yours, there are four that give info about or links to the story, two are positive and affirming, three address the original article's bad writing, and only two offer any critique of the event. 

Neither of the two critiques were mean spirited or denigrated the Lost hiker, but shared some tangible and basic things that we all can do in similar situations. It is important and necessary for us all to learn how to avoid dire situations, and lessen the dangers should things go wrong.  

I encourage you to look into the background and prior testimonies of those who shared above.  Most, if not all, have on multiple occasions shared their own various backcountry mistakes and what they should have done differently. 

Our desire is only to help others avoid the difficulty and hardship of accidents and emergencies, and equip them with the knowledge to handle them should the circumstance arise. 

Best Regards, 

Gonzan

2:04 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

takeaways:

-look before you leap (kidding.  anyone could have broken their leg by accident).

-tell people generally where you are going and when they can expect you to return.

-bring extra energy food.  how much would she have enjoyed a few spare clif bars or power bars during this ordeal?

-traveling light can have consequences.  an extra layer or two plus wind pants and shell would have been very helpful.  matches and tinder too. 

-Mainers are tough. 

2:05 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Very similar to Aron Ralston, the kid who cut off his hand to escape. Lack of survival gear or food, didn't leave an itinerary, hiking alone in dangerous country...

2:12 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

-Mainers are tough. 

I second that! :)

9:02 a.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

mo480 said:

You all take a lot of liberties with your assumptions. As always there is much more to the story then reported.

Ok, I guess I am missing something.  A person takes a survival course, and learns one should always leave an itinerary behind before setting out on a hike.  She doesn’t.  What more can there be to this story, other than she chose to ignore the most basic of wisdom such a course can offer?

..I have never met so many people who have never sinned and are so ready with the first stone…

I frequently bring up my own stupid exploits making a poster child of myself, so others may avoid replicating my stupidity.  Read my profile, you will come up with all sorts of adjective to describe me by, but not holier than thou.

..I hope if misfortune sets upon you, maybe a crash in rainy weather....why didn't you go slower, have new tires, etc.... that you do not make headlines…

Sometime our deeds earn us such fame.  The difference between humans and wildebeests is we can examine cause and effect, share our observations, and find a better way to get across the river next time.  The wildebeest just frets over their loses each time the crocs take one down, and repeats the same dangerous activity on every river crossing, lacking the means of critical thinking.  I think most comments herein are intent on seeing fewer of our kind perish needlessly, hence why she is the poster child du jour for what not to do.  So we can just feel sorry for her, and no one be the wiser, or we can make this into a learning opportunity, and improve the odds next time some one sets out on a solo hike.

..the country is full of truly self righteous people who have never had misfortune befall them.

Let’s first agree breaking a leg is misfortune, but that is the only part of this story related to misfortune.  Her near death was caused by other issues.  She almost perished because she made bad choices.  Not leaving an itinerary behind, and not including the basics in her day pack are not the result of some misfortune, they are the result of choices the hiker was in absolute control over.  We have no problem stating an auto thief got his just desert when he gets jail time.  By your reasoning, however, we should feel sorry for his “misfortune.”  But something tells me you think there is a difference between the thief and the hiker.  Frankly I see little difference; both hiker and thief chose to flout conventional wisdom and made foolish choices.  

When someone stinks up an elevator with a fart, there is no getting around the fact someone lacks manners; stating so isn’t being judgmental, it is stating the obvious.  And like the elevator violator, even this hiker knows she made some foolish choices.  So I am stating the obvious here.   I may not be PC, but I am sincere.  On the other hand I think you have taken liberties assuming we have inappropriate agendas behind our comments.  Based on other's remarks regarding your comments, that is also stating the obvious. 

If you truly think she was a victim of misfortune then you should read other threads regarding similar "misfortunes."  Hopefully you'll realize the words misfortune, ignorance, and foolishness are not interchangeable, and that folks on this forum generally know which aptly describes each situation.

BTW:  Mo I don't mean to get up in your grill, it is a fine thing you take other's feelings under consideration; but I do feel the attitude of the remarks you take difference to are more attributable to dismay and concern to preclude future such mishaps, than some desire to trash this hiker.

Ed

11:09 a.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Lucky should be her middle name

10:02 a.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

gonzan said:

The article has rampant grammar and proof reading problems.

Almost as bad as online forums .... 

~ r2 ~

10:43 a.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Which is almost as annoying as unconstructive passive-aggressive comments. 

11:05 a.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

yeah no

11:58 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

... and amateur psychologists ... who likely dabble in alchemy.

~ r2 ~

not an expert on anything

12:36 a.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

ughhh......I hate cats.

1:07 a.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

Cat fact: The domestic house cat is a small carnivorous mammal. Its most immediate ancestor is believed to be the African wild cat. The cat has been living in close association with humans for somewhere between 3,500 and 8,000 years.

2:06 a.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Mo480--You have made one post in this forum. I am going to presume that you have not been here for years like many of the other members, yet you have begun your relationship with them by making your own unfounded criticisms of them, many of whom have years of experience in the backcountry. Your most egregious assumption is that these members are being "self-righteous" when the reality is that they are pointing out the obvious.

This hiker made a series of mistakes that not only put her own life at risk, but those of her rescuers. I had a friend die during a SAR mission looking for a lost hiker; two other people with him were also killed when their helicopter went down. That accident could have been avoided had that hiker taken some basic precautions. His partner walked out and left him, but he was never found.

This forum attracts a lot of new hikers. One of our goals, at least one of mine, is to use stories like this one as lessons to be learned by new hikers or even experienced ones who forget how easy it is to make a mistake. If you are offended by such comments, then perhaps you may want to reconsider participating in these forums.

8:05 a.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

rob5073 said:

Cat fact: The domestic house cat is a small carnivorous mammal. Its most immediate ancestor is believed to be the African wild cat. The cat has been living in close association with humans for somewhere between 3,500 and 8,000 years.

Recently seen on a bumper-sticker:

Dogs have masters ... cats have staff.

~ r2 ~

animal lover

9:38 a.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Dogs have masters ... cats have staff.

~ r2 ~

animal lover

Which brings us to the conclusion about cat owners that I knew I could get you to. that was TOOOOO easy!

10:19 a.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I can ignore anyone.   Animals; no.   

My favorite slogan, which is in part of my 'signature' on other (non-hiking related) online forums:

--  Love animals ... don't eat them  --

I have been a vegetarian since the BiCentennial  (1976, for those historically-challenged).

~ r2 ~

animal-lover

people?  meh

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply