looking to buy gaiters

6:02 p.m. on October 24, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Andrew, Andrew Manning, arboral

Hey!

Does anyone know of a company that sells gaiters for wide legs? I wear these Forrest Gump knee brace orthotics to protect my knees but any gaiters I have tried won't go over the orthotics.

Suggestions anyone?

Andy

10:02 p.m. on October 24, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Try the OR (Outdoor Research) Expedition gaiters. I find them near perfect, 1 inch more circumference than regular Crocs and a 2 inch wide velcro closure. Definitely try them on as you need to make sure that they do not cut just behind the knee. They are fairly expensive, though, at $79.- SherpaKroto

9:01 a.m. on October 25, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Make your own....

Here is a link to Textile Outfitters......they have patterns and fabrics for all kinds of outdoor activities.

http://www.textileoutfitters.com/patterns/storm_mountain/sm305.html

Or, spend $50-$75 for gaitors that don't quite fit...

11:40 a.m. on October 25, 2001 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Make your own....In a pinch you can

tape gallon zip lock bags (freezer bags) to your legs with waterproof adhesive tape

6:12 p.m. on October 26, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Try the OR HD Crocs if you find the Expedition gaiters tooo large in circumference. I like the Expeditions a lot but found, for my leathers, they were a bit too big. I bought the HD's and have been satisfied. Both pairs, you now have replacable straps.

4:00 p.m. on October 29, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Old and slow, Sheldon

OR sells a Big Croc which is larger around the calf than anything else I've heard of. The trick is finding a pair.

12:47 p.m. on November 8, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

stay clear of the OR X-Gaiters. They don't stay on the boot properly at the toe and heel, thus collecting lots of snow and ice. The are useful only when further anchored by crampon straps.

10:06 p.m. on February 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I totally disagree. I have happily used my x-gaiters in various conditions with and without crampons or snowshoes. When fitted properly, they fit tightly against the rand of the boot and don't allow snow to creep in. Proper fitting includes bailing wire connecting the two sets of grommets,cinching down the cord, and of course having the right size gaiter for your boot.

The advantage of this slightly complicated arrangement is that you can use x-gaiters with step-in crampons (ones that do not have straps). To my knowledge, there is no other insulated gaiter that can do that.

Other advantages to x-gaiters is that you can choose open-cell, closed cell, or no insulation. I have been out with leather boots for days on end that had highs in the teens (farenheit) and lows in the negative teens with leather boots and amazing warmth (amazing to me because my toes always get cold in even modest cold.) Rememver that since x-gaiters don't go over the bottom of the boot sole, you will still lose some heat through the bottoms.

Quote:

Quote:

stay clear of the OR X-Gaiters. They don't stay on the boot properly at the toe and heel, thus collecting lots of snow and ice. The are useful only when further anchored by crampon straps.

10:21 a.m. on May 29, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Make your own....

Quote:

Here is a link to Textile Outfitters......they have patterns and fabrics for all kinds of outdoor activities.

http://www.textileoutfitters.com/patterns/storm_mountain/sm305.html

Or, spend $50-$75 for gaitors that don't quite fit...

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply