About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Snakes in WA are awake.

11:11 a.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

They have been emerging slowly lately but yesterday I got tired of seeing them after I passed the fourth one squished on the road so I took some action when I came upon one still alive in the road on the way home from work.  (They lay on the roads to soak up heat so they can be more active)

05232012793.jpg
This little fella was tire fodder, he was too sluggish to move, so I took him (her?) for a ride, let the kids look and touch then released him in an area free of traffic and thick with mice and other snakey yumminess. Little guy had a nice grip!  Every time I bumped him he'd give squeeze me a little harder to remind me that he was still there.
05232012795.jpg

Here he is in his new hope. 

Usually I don't go out of my way for snakes but as many as are dying on the roads every day here I figured I'd do a favor for one. 

BTW, this snake is what we call a Bull Snake, non-venomous.  Their proper name escapes me.  Would I have done this for one of our rattlesnakes?  Maaaaybe.  They are slow now and not really a threat. 

Cheers!

1:07 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Cool! Your Karma has been upgraded by three points today.

Woulda sucked if you had an event on the road and had to grab the wheel with both hands real fast.

1:47 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts

good on Ya Jeff! I don't know that I would have emerged from my mental bubble quickly enough to stop and do that while driving!

Kyle,

lol....true dat...

3:10 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver said:

Cool! Your Karma has been upgraded by three points today.

Woulda sucked if you had an event on the road and had to grab the wheel with both hands real fast.

Guess the snake would have flying+snake+copy.jpgbecome a flying serpent.

6:02 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

LOL!  I couldn't have dropped him if I had wanted to.

6:05 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Their proper name escapes me. 

Gopher Snake

12:25 a.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

A "friend" I met on my hike up Mission Peak Tuesday. He was just trying to cross the trail, but then he saw me and pulled back. Then he moved along the side of the trail and tried crossing again, but saw me and retreated. He never coiled or rattled at me, just kept a watch on me and my Blackberry as I tried to get a good photo (didn't have a camera with me, hence the poor quality of the image - cell phones take lousy photos). So I guess he decided I was friendly and would do him no harm. But he decided to move back from the trail a ways until I moved on. Amazing how many people walked by us, never noticing that this three and a half foot Northern Pacific rattler was right there within 5 to 8 feet of them. A couple of them did notice that I was trying to photograph something, then jumped a few feet in the air when they saw what it was and scurried on off along the trail.

SnakeMisn.jpg

9:30 p.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

Ran across this fellow on the way down from Black Mountain today. Again just had my Blackberry, so the quality is a bit lacking. Northern Pacific Rattler, but with a bit different coloration. They seem to have a pretty wide range of coloration.

Rattler01.jpg

Rattler03.jpg

Rattler12.jpg
The tongue is for hearing and smelling, not a defiant nyanyanya!

He was occupying the middle of the trail, so I helped hurry him along, so other hikers wouldn't be startled and react the wrong way.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply