Outdoor Superstitions

2:03 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,062 forum posts

I'm embarrassed to admit that I am superstitious.  I have no problem with black cats, the number 13, walking under ladders, etc., but I do have several unshakeable backcountry superstitions:

1. If AI come unprepared for rain, or say "There is nothing forecast this weekend," it will pour.

2. Conversely, if I come prepared for rain and say loudly that hail, rain and all manner of pestilence is expected, the weather will be clement.

3. If I don't loudly tell all of my companions were I've stashed the car keys, we will be stranded when we return to the Trail head.

What are your backcountry superstitions? Do you have stories about when they've proved true (or untrue?)

4:59 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts
  • If I don't pack an extra pair of socks, I WILL end up getting a blister from damp socks. 
  • The skies will descend with fury if I don't bring a shell or poncho
  • If I don't bring my camera, I am certain to see something unspeakably beautiful or amazing that I should have had a camera to capture.
8:37 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts
  • If I leave rain gear at home; it will rain.
  • If I don't bring my stove, the designated trip stove someone else brings always breaks.
  • You can never bring too much coffee.
  • Even if I camp in my back yard in a big city, bears will raid my food if I don't hang it.
  • A certain friend is not alowed to cook; he ALWAYS spills the pot.    He also is not allowed to bring food or liquids into my tent for the same reason. 
  • Two companions are not allowed to lead the hike:  They always speed off way ahead, miss a turn or overshoot the destiny, causing logistical nightmares.
  • Trip transportation will breaK down only at trail heads located at the end of rugged jeep trails.
  • High water never spoils the trip in; it only is problematic on the way out.
  • The day I remember to bring everthing on my "list" is the day the world will end.

Ed

10:20 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Im new to this so my list is short.

1. I dont pack my water shoes, we cross a knee deep river.

11:34 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Excellent thread idea Seth!

• If I say I've never had a problem with something I will.   I'm not saying what problem I haven't had for that reason.
  • Forgot to take a spare pair of socks.  Stuck my leg knee deep in a almost dry lake.  Hiked back the next day minus the sock. Thankfully it was only about 3 miles.
  • Whatever piece of gear I forget I will need. One of these days I'm actually going to write my checklist down.
  • Whatever piece of overkill gear I thought I would need I didn't.  I carry a much larger than needed med kit. If I could only figure out how to carry a Mosquito Magnet with me.
10:39 a.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm big on safety first. So 10 miles in, wheres my water filter and bladders?

10:46 p.m. on June 2, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

The one time I forget to bring some piece of special equipment (especially emergency gear) is the only time I'll actually need it.

And yeah, 'Don't tempt the Gods'.

If you say, "What a great day for a nice long hike.", it will rain for sure. Or maybe snow. Or there will be a tornado or maybe even a hurricane.

All depending on how certain you sounded when you said it, how loudly you said it, and how many people were present when you said it.

11:47 a.m. on June 3, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Peter is very much right. "Don't tempt the gods". And never challenge the gods! 

10:06 p.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

if i take time from work to go on a trip, no matter what the forcast, it will storm horribly.

at least once while sleeping a spider the size of a saint bernard will jump on my face.

if i take a new piece of gear that i hadn't tested yet it will be the one defective one.

3:21 p.m. on June 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

This happened just last week.  I took my boys up to Clingmans Dome, Tenn. and just off the AT a black bear sow was nursing two cubs.  I did get a pic with the shell phone, but it isn't that great.  If you leave your camera at home this will happen most of the time. ..

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply