Why hiking guys might want to pack sanitary napkins.

8:34 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Hi Trailspace. I'm not sure how to quote a post from another section, but this was inspired by Charlie H.H.'s suggestion in the Gear Maintenance forum on shoe care. He noted that in his part of the world, sweat in goretex hikers is dealt with by using sanitary napkins. Yes! These days, those pads are incredibly thin and absorbent. The adhesive is designed to stick solidly, edge to edge, and leave no residue at all behind. Take out your insoles, stick them on (they're thinner and more flexible than your insoles), replace insoles and you're good to go. Any moisture that enters them is never going to leave, even under pressure, because it turns into a gel. I have had dry feet in rubber boots in hot weather for hours using this trick. I would particularly recommend the Always brand, Infinity type, but their long pantyliners will work well too. Also--though I hope you won't need them for this--they are excellent additions to your first aid kit, as bandages that will absorb much, much more than an equivalent weight/bulk of gauze, and they won't stick to a wound. So I suggest you man up, and visit the feminine hygiene aisle!

9:21 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Yes Islandess, this is good advise. I already carry a couple in my first aid kit as well as a couple tampons.

They do make great bandages, I hadn't tried them in boots though.

The tampons can be used for wound care, fire starter, & filtering water, among other uses.

Thanks for posting this advise, Mike G.

9:59 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

Back in the 70's I worked in a theater. The projectionist (four you young pups, that was the guy who changed reels during the movies and ran the projector) used pads under the mid section of the big machine because the machine dripped oil. It never got out.

12:45 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

GOG, do you mean it never got out about the movie projector (not the projectionist) being a female? I didn't even know projectors had gender!

1:48 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

wow !

2:10 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Hi Islandess, it's great you're using it. And it's good idea to keep for first aid kit too.

Hope more people to try in their boots.

11:45 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,204 forum posts

It does sound handy.

THAT will be a fun visit to the store.  "Do you have these in blue?"

Reminds me of the time Adam and I were birthing pigs and had to run to the drug store for KY jelly so we could reach in and pull out the stuck piglets, "Does this stuff come in a bigger tube, we're going to need a lot."

11:48 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

300winmag said:

GOG, do you mean it never got out about the movie projector (not the projectionist) being a female? I didn't even know projectors had gender!

Only a few of us knew...it was the 70's, after all. AND I notice you are over here in My neck of the woods!

12:49 p.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

So my question about what the wings are for was spot-on? Cool!

Make sense. Thanks for the tips.

11:30 a.m. on July 22, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Don't wear "rubber boots in hot weather" and you won't have that problem.  I don't like Goretex much and not for boots except in cold weather for the same reason.  What's next- we are suppposed to squat to pee?

7:47 p.m. on July 30, 2012 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

About the "rubber boots in hot weather" -- fishing!

2:15 p.m. on August 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

'Rubber boots in cold weather' still keep in the sweat.

10:48 p.m. on August 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

We also keep sanitary pads in our 1st Aid. 

No problems with a rubbing boot or backpack strap, and a quick blood-sopper for a wound!

I had not thought of using them as firestarters, but commend the concept!

I also like the idea of using a pantyliner as an insole.

12:35 a.m. on August 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

This is actually a really good idea. Where I work I wear rubber boots in the summer all of the time, and it can get pretty bad, even with bama socks. I'm going to try it out.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply