Ebooks

11:27 a.m. on July 9, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Sascha Bosetzky

By God's grace I can enjoy the luxury of making weeklong hiking trips and since I am mostly solo, I do read a lot on the trail. Books are unfortunatly quite heavy, so I was thinking of buying some ebook, like Franklin's Ebookman.
The Ebookman would be good, because it uses AAA batteries, which are easy to replace. I am just wondering, if I can take this device on wintertrips, where temperatures might drop to 0 F.
Does anybody have experiences how organizers and the like behave the cold?
Thanks a lot

12:10 p.m. on July 11, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Battery performance drops quickly with the cold. My experience with LCD's in the cold is that they don't work well, I don't know about this particular screen. I can't see any real weight savings between two paperbacks v.s. an e-book and extra batteries

4:02 p.m. on July 12, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Sascha Bosetzky

Thanks for the answer, but could elaborate a bit on "they don't work well". My worry is, that the thing will break.

Sure, you are right, two paperbacks are okay, but I like to take more with me and the ebook would come really practically. Try to find a bookstore in the Scottish Highland or, even worse, the Karpatian mountains, where Slavic languages prevail.

9:33 p.m. on July 12, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

LCD screen stands for liquid crystal display. Liquid can stiffen up or feaaze in cold teperatures. The screens may not display the characters or do it slowly or incompletely in cold weather. Try sticking an ordinary calculator in the freezer and check the performance of the screen. I don't know the specifics of the LCD this reader uses but you should check with the manufacturer.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply