*Just* short....

1:06 p.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

This is one of those "oh, man!" moments...

Hiker injured 6 miles short of Pacific Crest Trail end

A California hiker broke an ankle just south of the Canada border and had to be airlifted just six miles short of finishing the Pacific Crest Trail.

The Associated Press Published: Sept. 12, 2012 at 2:29 p.m. PDTUpdated: Sept. 12, 2012 at 2:29 p.m. PDT 0 Comments

BELLINGHAM, Wash. — A California hiker broke an ankle just south of the Canada border and had to be airlifted just six miles short of finishing the Pacific Crest Trail.

The Whatcom County sheriff's office says 60-year-old Timothy Nye of Sacramento had been hiking for five weeks and was approaching the end of the 2,663-mile trail on Tuesday when the ground gave way and he fell about 10 feet in a remote area.

Deputy Geroge Ratayczak (RAT'-ih-chek) says Nye activated an emergency beacon and was rescued by helicopter and flown to St. Joseph Hospital in Bellingham.

1:12 p.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

On man, that is not cool at all. At least he got out of there. 

2:56 p.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

That is a pretty fast pace - assuming he started at the Mexico border.  About 80 miles a day.

3:18 p.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That is a pretty fast pace - assuming he started at the Mexico border.  About 80 miles a day.

I was thinking that as well.

6:42 p.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
532 forum posts

Surely 5 months!

7:08 p.m. on September 13, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

that's a bummer. I don't think he did the whole thing-five weeks?- maybe he started midway or something. good thing he had an emergency beacon-saved his ass for sure!

1:06 p.m. on September 14, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

What a disappointment that must have been.  It's amazing to think about how many things need to come together to complete a major trek, and how many things there are that can disrupt it. Even if you're being really careful to be safe every step of the way, unexpected things can happen.

2:19 p.m. on September 14, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,162 forum posts

Going fast always involves more risk.  Maybe he was in a hurry to finish.  Kudos for having an emergency system like Spot.

2:20 p.m. on September 14, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

I was curious about the "5 weeks" part, so I did a little research. I found this on Mercurynews.com:

"Timothy Nye, 60, of Sacramento, had been hiking for five consecutive weeks, starting his final leg of the trail in Central Oregon, said Whatcom County Sheriff's Deputy George Ratayczak. Nye was south of Castle Pass and northwest of Lizard Peak -- just south of the Canada border and the end of the 2,663-mile trail -- at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11, when he stepped onto the edge of the trail and the ground gave way beneath him.

He lost his footing and fell about 10 feet, snapping his ankle. Nye activated a SPOT beacon so a search and rescue team could find him. But the terrain was so rough, the border helicopter that brought the rescue team had to land about a mile away.

When the rescue team of two reached Nye, they found it would be too dangerous to carry him out. A U.S. Navy helicopter from Whidbey Island was flown in to hoist the injured hiker from the trail and airlift him to St. Joseph hospital."

This makes more sense to me.

3:21 p.m. on September 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

...and ten years later he still thinks to himself "I could have crawled six miles."

4:32 p.m. on September 14, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

That's terrible, I say let him walk the last 6 miles, when he can, and call it done.

Mike G.

5:41 p.m. on September 16, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

thats gonna be one heck of a helicopter bill!

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply