hillary tent at sears - any good?

11:40 a.m. on June 25, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Sears has a huge Hillary tent on sale right now. Reg 249 for 149. Is this a decent tent? A picture can be seen at sears.com. thanks.

11:58 a.m. on June 26, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've seen them advertised by Sears in the Sunday paper and they look good for car camping. The multi room thing would be kick under those circumstances. I haven't seen anything from them for backpacking but suspect that you would find them heavy and too bulky. For myself, not only do I want a light tent but also one that breaks down to 20 inches or so when I'm carrying it on my back.

3:51 p.m. on June 27, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

AVOID AVOID AVOID
It is junk (IMHO)
Poor nylon material (already weak and will weaken more quickly when exposed to the sun). The screen mesh is cheap and will run/tear very quickly with normal use. The PU Coating is very light and uneven and will eventually wear off. The seams are not stitched very well - Count the numer of stitches per inch - Look at how loose the stitching is.

Go to www.jwa.com and buy a Eureka - Much better tent and if you call the factory, you can buy a Class A second at around 30% off that will last you many many years.
Good luck

Quote:

Sears has a huge Hillary tent on sale right now. Reg 249 for 149. Is this a decent tent? A picture can be seen at sears.com. thanks.

7:56 p.m. on August 6, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've just returned my Hillary Tent back to Sears. some of the reason that I returned the tent was difficult to pop up. The poles does not fit into any gromets but into loop rings. These rings does not have the pole in place and makes it very difficult to setup in windy conditions. Another thing was that I selected the model with the vestibule. The problem with this is that there were no snaps to help you line up the fly portion with the tent and makes setup very difficult. For back packing purposes, I would suggest a coleman or another brand name.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply