Insect problem

9:40 a.m. on June 8, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Willard

Last weekend I went to my favorite camping place, a flat rock on an island off the coast of Maine. It is a very special place to me and I only go there by myself.
I plan my trips so i do not need to bring a tent as it is not really appropriate for the spot. Crawling bugs entered my sleeping bag. They looked like earwigs only larger and more of an orange color. They certainly gave me the hebegebe's. I do not think a headnet will keep them out. I do not think I could locate all of them and kill them before sleeping nor do I think I would want to. I don't like to use bug dope and I am not sure if it would ward them off anyways.

Insights?

3:56 p.m. on June 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Last weekend I went to my favorite camping place,

Quote:

Crawling bugs entered my sleeping bag. They looked like earwigs only larger and more of an orange color. They certainly gave me the hebegebe's.

They can give you much worse than the HebeGebe's. Thses sound like those kind of bugs that make a little hole in your skin, then lay their eggs. The eggs hatch, and the larvae feed on oru flesh, under the skin. (Got any itchy spots that you can't undertansd why it itches?)

As the larvae grow, they make their way towards the brain due to its high protein content. What happens next is too disgusting to describe.

-Pete

7:24 p.m. on June 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quit Screwing with him!!

Lee, is a bivy bag out of the question for this site you talk about? Sure seems like one would work to keep the bugs out while you're sleeping.

6:32 a.m. on June 11, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Willard
possibly

I have one and have thought of that. My concerns are that it would be stuffy in the summer (I have only used it in the winter) and that it would be slightly more visible. Seems to be the way to go.
I did laugh about the previous post though.

1:18 p.m. on June 11, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Eugene Colucci
Re: Quit Screwing with him!!

I thought the same thing as Lee below (that a bivy might be too uncomfortable). I don't know for certain, but I suspect that a bivy might function like an additional layer of insulation making the sleeper feel as though he is in a mini-sauna -- unless he sleeps nude or uses a bivy made completely from mesh (I don't know of any). Perhaps another alternative is to use a tent secured to the rock with prefilled sand or dirt bags (not to be confused with dirtbags).

Quote:

Lee, is a bivy bag out of the question for this site you talk about? Sure seems like one would work to keep the bugs out while you're sleeping.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply