Bear Grylls reality show?

7:26 p.m. on November 8, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So apparently Bear Grylls is going to be hosting a reality show. A team of 2 gets dropped in some remote area and if they make it to the end they get something. 

Hmmmmm...

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Bear-Grylls-Casting-New-Adventure-Show.html

Anyone wanna join me lol?

8:23 p.m. on November 8, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

well I guess hes got to make a living...

9:36 p.m. on November 8, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Oddly enough I received a response of where I (as well as my partner who has yet to be named) currently resides. 

Any takers?

11:05 p.m. on November 8, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I'll pass.  I'm not very impressed with that guy.

12:40 a.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Dude I would love to do this. too bad we're on opposite coasts.

7:09 a.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Xterro, I'm not sure if it matters or not. I just think it would be a blast.

7:10 a.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

What the heck. I'll team with you Rick. Let's give it a go. What is the next step?

8:39 a.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
165 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

I'm not sure that people on this forum would make contestants.  They need a fish out of water who learn something over the course of the show.  Taking an experience person would be 40 minutes of watching someone camp each week.

8:57 a.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

Tycho, there's no need to release "trade secrets" to the show's producers. Give all indications of being a total greenhorn during the selection and screening. Then bust out the skills as needed during the show.

10:00 a.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
165 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

rob5073 said:

Tycho, there's no need to release "trade secrets" to the show's producers. Give all indications of being a total greenhorn during the selection and screening. Then bust out the skills as needed during the show.

Announcer: Today we have Rick from Pitts... Looks like he found water already.  Rick from ... he got that shelter up fast, Rick is ... wow how did he get a fire going so fast?  Boiling the water is a good idea.

Mean while 

Announcer: Tom is from Brooklyn and is having a bit of trouble walking across the field as he is trying to pick up both feet at once to avoid snakes.

12:01 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,995 forum posts

I would start watching Bear Grylls if Rick and Xterro or Patman was on the show!

If you enter, the interesting part of your relationship you need to describe to casting could be that you've never met in person, but know each other (from a certain online outdoor gear site).

If I was a casting director, that could be an interesting dynamic to see how it plays out in real life (well in Reality Show life)...

12:01 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

I'm game, Rick. Put me down as a taker.

I am not a fan of Bear Grylls. I have a friend in the YT who worked on one Grylls' shows. He got flown out each day so he could stay in a hotel. Also note that his claims of being the SAS don't exactly jibe with the reality. In order to be considered for the SAS, one has to have served in the regular army for a specified length of time...he didn't. Also, he never completed his training. No doubt his father(an MP) probably pulled some strings to get him in. Regardless, the Yukon show my friend worked on, showed Grylls' to be a wilderness tyro. If he were my partner, I think I'd head the opposite direction, otherwise I'd be afraid he'd put me in harm's way.

12:05 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,025 forum posts

Wow!  I'm going with Tycho - I'll bet that within 48 hours, Rick will be grilling steaks in a substantial cabin he built with his hands!

12:13 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Seth, my goal would be to build a parapent and fly back to civilization! In all seriousness, the odds are that the places contestants get dropped may not be our usual hiking areas. Think about the Kalahari, the Dry Tortugas, Borneo. I'll want my insurance paid up. I'm still game, though. Not much different than some of the Nat Geo shoots I did.

12:50 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Rick im down, ive got the partially diasabled angle with my titanium knee. Im def not a fan of bear but I like the adventure. Im much more of a les stroud fan, he seems to be a lot more realistic. No real survival expert would do some of the foolish things he did/does. Its no big deal if you get soaked, when your heading for a hotel and a hot shower. Anyway, I could be your burden, we could simulate you bringing an injured person out of the woods. That would be a new twist to all the woods/survival shows(they even have one with a jeep) maybe we would get monster ratings.

1:03 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I'll join ya....

as long as we have a satellite feed for the Stiller games and it's after April 15th...I managed to get myself into the 2013 Boston Marathon.

I happen to think Bear is a cool guy. I love his shows.

Les what's his name (guy with the harmonica) is the survivalist I don't care for.

1:30 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Sure, Why not. Can't hurt just knowing the basics will be a tell-tale. But, with only 6 miles of real trail behind me, why not. Put my name in da pot too.

4:03 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

Sounds like we have enough for more than one two person team! Trailspace might be well represented!

6:00 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Rick im down, ive got the partially diasabled angle with my titanium knee. Im def not a fan of bear but I like the adventure. Im much more of a les stroud fan, he seems to be a lot more realistic. No real survival expert would do some of the foolish things he did/does. Its no big deal if you get soaked, when your heading for a hotel and a hot shower. Anyway, I could be your burden, we could simulate you bringing an injured person out of the woods. That would be a new twist to all the woods/survival shows(they even have one with a jeep) maybe we would get monster ratings.

6:12 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

Les Stroud is Survivorman. Got give him credit though. He packs his own camera gear and records the footage himself.

Rick can't bust out the skills all at once. He would have to play dumb and when some task or whatever he undertakes, is successful, he can chalk it up to beginner's luck!

6:58 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

you guys can do it...I'll watch it on TV :P

10:10 a.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

This public thread isn't very covert you guys....haha!

I do like the motivation expressed by everyone for sure!

I would love to see members of Trailspace get to do this.

Later,

Mike G.

4:22 p.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

The difference between les stroud and bear grylls is that les is a survivalist/minimalist in real life, bear plays one on tv. Do a little research, les has been teaching bushcraft and survival since bear was lying about being in the sas. I cant buy a survivalist who heads to the nearest hotel/bar when the sun goes down. That said im still down to go on his show.

6:40 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

My views of harmonica dude vs Bear:

harmonica man whines his way thru situations (and I do not believe he is alone while filming)

Bear plows thru them naked.

When is Les gonna jump from a plane and do backflips on the way down?

8:54 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

What does jumping from a plane doin backflips or plowing thru naked have to do with survival? Maybe better entertainment, but not survival. Bear is a tv personality not a survivalist, with his crew behind him to save him, of course he tries foolish tricks to keep his audience.

10:38 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

A Bear Grylls 'Reality' Show would have nothing to do with 'reality'.

Les Stroud has run into some real problems, and while he's come close to not making it a few times he's managed to survive.

And, yes, he shoots his own footage - try backpacking in harsh terrain for a week, and carrying a bunch of heavy professional video equipment, too.

Does he carry a SPOT for emergencies? I don't know, but if I was him, I sure would.

10:39 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

Both guys contribute in different ways to the survival situation television drama. Keep in mind with these shows the bottom line is entertainment. The networks want viewers and if the show doesn't attract viewers, there isn't a reason to air the show. Bear's show may appeal to the adventurous, adrenaline seeking viewer while Les's appeals to a more survivalist,in tune with his/her surroundings viewer. Bear has a crew with him because he focuses on quickly getting out of the wilderness and back to civilization and filming it himself would be a great hindrance. Les on the other hand would spend 7 days alone to simulate an average person being stranded in a remote location until help arrives or travel to help can be accomplished. Now this doesn't mean that Les didn't have help nearby like in the Kalahari episode. He had to cut the episode short by 4 days because he could not find water. He had a rescue crew within a two hour hike or when he became stranded in the Arctic circle due to unseasonably warm weather he had a helicopter extract standing by.

11:01 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

peter1955 said:

And, yes, he shoots his own footage - try backpacking in harsh terrain for a week, and carrying a bunch of heavy professional video equipment, too.

I am not sure if you have noticed but Les does quite a bit of filming with a GoPro at times. 

1:48 p.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

I would avoid anything with Bear G's name on it.

4:39 p.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Harmonica whiner is not alone when he does his filming.

You honestly think his investors would allow that? Sorry, but there is no way.

There is also not a tooth fairy.

I will admit,  a survivalist who lives and teaches the skill that I think is not all act and fluff is Cody Lundin.

I think he is the real deal.

Let's see...who would I want in my fox hole?

Bear has summited Everest. Les pretends to get lost on a 4 wheeler while hunting and then plays the Blues.

4:55 p.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I disagree. The shots that Stroud uses are exactly what a single camera man would be able to do, not what a professional crew would manage. Notice for example that every shot showing him walking that isn't a hand-held is on a tripod, and note the use of a Go-Pro in later episodes

You could also ask him yourself. Unless you do, all you're doing is calling him names with nothing to substantiate your opinion.

Here's how to get in touch with him:

http://lesstroud.ca/videofaq

Or you could check this:

http://www.squidoo.com/survivorman-fake

It also concludes that his footage is real, and explains some of the techniques used to do it.

5:11 p.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

did I write that I thought someone was doing the shooting for him? No.

I think he does his own shooting... in order to have some validity in what he is selling in order to get advertising and sponsorship $$$$

I'm saying he has a crew and local experts with him as advisors and he is never in any danger as he would like you to believe.

I seem to recall an episode where he was on a liferaft and he and his off camera crew decided to pull the plug because he had reached his limit.

Which was a wise choice - gotta save the talent.

And I do not need to substantiate my opinion. It is an opinion - just like yours.

But he is a wuss compared to Bear

9:50 a.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Actually, Ed, you said, "Harmonica whiner is not alone when he does his filming." Are you changing that now to say he's not in imminent danger? Two different things, don't you agree? Of the two, Stroud is actually out there alone while Grylls isn't, so I would think he's taking a bigger risk.

In similar circumstances, I would make sure I had a SPOT or FastFind for emergency extraction. To NOT do so would be foolish. But it's still easy to die between the time you call for help and the time it gets there.

As Rob mentions, each person fills a different niche in the entertainment market, and while we will all have one preference or another, calling someone names is disrespectful of the risks they take. Did you read the video FAQs? I think they will clear up a lot of the misunderstanding.

10:56 a.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I would have to agree that bg is more of a stuntman than ls. Les stroud lives the outdoirs, his family lives off the grid in northern canada on a small wind powered homestead. He has spent his life in the woods. Bear grylls may or may not have been sas, he shows what to do if you make a foolish move and have to escape/get help. Les stroud shows a more realistic survival situation. They both have their place, I like les.

11:32 a.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

"Actually, Ed, you said, "Harmonica whiner is not alone when he does his filming." Are you changing that now to say he's not in imminent danger?"

Exactly.

he may be doing the filming, but he ain't alone and nobody with the fat wallet would let him get into seriously dangerous situations.

they need him for the following week in order to sell cheerios.

As I mentioned,  this is just my opinion.  Don't take it to heart or too seriously. 

We will never know what actually goes on behind the scenes unless we are there - and then it really would be a bigger crowd around stroud

1:13 p.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Uuum

1:20 p.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

Les Stroud wouldn't let Bear G carry his shoes.

2:37 p.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

I have been rather amused and bemused by this thread. Lots of speculation and misinformation here. As it happens, I have met both Stroud and Grylls and spent some time in discussions with both (much briefer with Grylls than with Stroud). Here is a photo of Alicia and me with Stroud from a few years ago:

image.jpg

Something I have learned over the years of being "out there" is that you can tell pretty quickly whether the person you are talking to is "blowing smoke" or is someone you can trust to get out with in the woods and hills. Stroud is one of those I would be willing to get out there with. Grylls is not.

Grylls does not go back to a posh hotel every night, as a couple of posts implied/said. He and his crew do spend some extended time in remote places. But he does have a fairly large crew with him. His show is produced much more like an "on location" production.

Stroud on the other hand has a much smaller backup and pickup crew, but they are not with him during the time he is actually out there. Small cameras (still and motion) have been available for a number of years now - my oldest GoPro is about 10 years old and was wrist-mounted. The picture above was taken at the SPOT booth at the Outdoor Retailer Show - Stroud at that time was using a SPOT 1 as an emergency pickup signalling device. I was doing some testing of the SPOT at the time for my Trailspace article on emergency locator devices (which have progressed a long way since that time).

5:30 p.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

I've always thought Les is the real survivalist. Some of the risks bear takes are just plain stupid imo.

10:40 p.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Bill, I didn't mean to imply that Bear goes to a hotel EVERY night. But I know on the Yukon show, he did get flown out several times to recoup.  Wish it weren't true, but that's the fact. As others have said, they are both entertainment shows. But the difference in personalities and approach is real. I would rather be in the bush with Les than Bear. I would also rather be crossing Greenland with Amundsen than Byrd. Both Les and Bear have fixers and crews. Reality shows are not reality, in the way that Richard Proeneke made his films. But even Proeneke's films have added footage. Did Anthony Bourdain throw up after some of his meals? Certainly. But we don't see that, nor do we see the days it took to make the show. As a DP for many years, I often was involved in shows that depicted an event. In order to tell the story, I often had the subject perform the event several times, from different angles. Poetic license? Certainly. On any reality show, to be convinced that the subject is totally alone, is the height of naivete. It is akin to thinking that Tom Hanks spent weeks on a remote island, communing with a basketball, with only a cameraman for company.

We can argue about the benefits of skills of the various survival shows ad infinitum. My interest has always been the rather unsung heroes of exploration and survival. I respect Beryl Markham more than Amelia Earhart, Powell more than Fremont, Amundsen more than Scott, Livingstone more than Stanley, Burton more than Speke and possibly Shackelton most of all.

And though the replica of the Bounty sank with two dead recently, Lt. William Bligh, one of the greatest survivalists, navigated 3200 miles of open ocean in a small boat with no charts.

Of course, these are all Europeans. What about the Inuit, the Sami, the Touregs, the Kalahari Bushmen, and so many others who survive, dare I say, live a fruitful existence in environments that Les and Bear would consider on the edge of living?

11:08 p.m. on November 12, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

Dick Proenneke was a magician with that ax that's for sure. I watch that Alone in the Wilderness DVD once a year. Never gets old.

7:30 a.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Once a year!? I have to watch it once a week to keep myself sane!

10:27 a.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

If yoi keep up with strouds career, he did a series where he lived with diff remote people to learn their culture and survival skills. I just think stroud has the spirit and beliefs that a lot of us have. Being at peace with nature not fighting it. He seems to be more in tune with the wilderness around him.

11:32 a.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

"He seems to be more in tune with the wilderness around him."

Oh, for sure that would be Cody Lundin

2:43 p.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

This Cody Lundin?

http://www.codylundin.com/presskit.html

Quite the professional marketing machine there.

3:12 p.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

He be the one!

I love his attitude towards everything when he is doing his dual survival shows.

No shoes, no pants, no harmonica.

7:49 p.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

I watch all those shows- man, woman wild, dual survival, survivorman, man vs wild, teen mom (wait, forget I said that last one)

For me it isn't so much about the personalities on the shows, it's just that I'd rather watch a show with a focus on the outdoors than something else.

I've also met Les Stround, at a local Thai restaurant. Some hardcore guy eating at a restaurant, what a wimp! Just kidding. He is actually quite nice and down to earth. The thing I like about his shows, and the reason I trust what he says, is that he is always honest. There's been episodes he has had the leave early and told the viewer why he had to. It would be quite easy for them to replicate the situation, lie to the audience and tell everyone he did the full 7 days every time. He has failed on certain episodes and been honest about it- the jaguar in the jungle, the life raft on the ocean, I believe it was in Labrador the ice was melting around him, the time he tried to survive recreating an injury to one arm.

8:15 p.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Ed G said:

No shoes, no pants...

Might work in Arizona. He'd die here. We have snow.

8:39 p.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Lundin has done episodes with plently of snow, one here in Canada (Nova Scotia), and one in Maine, Montana, Wyoming.

On a related note- did anyone else see that the other star of that show, Dave Canterbury, apparently lied about all his creditials and thats why hes off the show. The replacement has been picked but they are saying the 'new' guy hasn't been on TV before.

10:55 p.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

Cody descended a glacier in shorts, smartwool socks and a climbing harness!

10:57 p.m. on November 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

I also liked the "Out of the Wild" shows.

10:48 a.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

I'm sorry but Grylls is a theatrical dope. Even the name "Bear" is ridiculous. Someday it will come out that his real name is Leonard or something. Everything he does that's purportedly so dangerous, someone else who's getting no credit at all is doing the same thing right next to him [holding a video camera]. Usually two or three someones so they can get his pretty mug from every angle.

I'd walk the backcountry with Les Stroud any day.

Dave Canterbury is off Dual Survival? It was totally made for theater but I found that show entertaining if nothing else. My son isn't going to be happy... but even he likes Les Stroud better. I liked Dave Canterbury though. Straight forward, no BS, demonstrated skills for the show without being pretentious about it.

10:54 a.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Jake W said:

Lundin has done episodes with plenty of snow, one here in Canada (Nova Scotia), and one in Maine, Montana, Wyoming.

Wasn't he wearing three pairs of smartwool socks? Pretty close to light boots unless the temperature got really cold.

But as Gypsy Rose Lee said, "Ya gotta have a gimmick".

11:18 a.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

peter1955 said:

Jake W said:

Lundin has done episodes with plenty of snow, one here in Canada (Nova Scotia), and one in Maine, Montana, Wyoming.

Wasn't he wearing three pairs of smartwool socks? Pretty close to light boots unless the temperature got really cold.

But as Gypsy Rose Lee said, "Ya gotta have a gimmick".

The other question is, how often do they stop rolling tape for him to go warm up in the producers tent? All well & good when he is in his element, but the North country is not his element.

4:09 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

I don't doubt that Grylls has done some of the things he claims. And for many, it is good entertainment. No doubt, this discussion has added more to Grylls' publicity. But he is not without a bit of the charlatan in him as this article attests.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-470460/Bear-faced-cheek-adventurer-sneaked-hotels.html

12:09 a.m. on January 17, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

the english media always blows things out of proportion. I lived there for a while, so I would not believe everything you read in that article. Much like Bear's shows, English media is more about entertainment than fact.

9:51 a.m. on January 17, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I still love that statement " bear is the cheese soufle of the adventure world" I guess there is a place for everybody, but I like a little meat for dinner. Some substance.

9:39 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
193 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I'm glad everyone at least see's Bear is a dope. He is to survival what honey booboo is to most so called reality shows. Though my kids find him entertaining... thats about all I can see that he's good for.

Not sure about everyone else on here, but I wouldn't run around doing half the stuff he does. In a real survival situation 90 percent of his actions will get you injured are killed. I've taken alot of chances on the dirt, and some I really should have known better. But I've never tried to give myself an enama, drink my urine, eat animal crap, or jump off the tallest thing I could find.

I've seen everything to date Les has done, and read alot of his books. Though he is the real deal, he can be on the boring side. I think thats were he tends to lose people. Don't get me wrong though... I do respect the guy alot. He has done great things for our area of interests. And I know I wouldn't want to have to lug that much gear around with me that serves no purpose other than taking my picture. I mean everytime you see the guy break camp and walk off out of frame... he still had to come back and get that damn camera. Thats hardcore.

But, I do have to say I'm more of a fan of Cody Lundin. I know the barefoot thing is nuts. But, he's one of the top survival experts in the states. His courses are off the hook, and the two books he's written do a lot of justice to the subject of survival. I said in my review of his book, its the best on the subject that I've read. He didn't just rewrite the Ranger Handbook like most guys do.

With that said, i'm not sure I'd be willing to go anywhere with Bear. I'm all about adventure and making the dirt fun and exciting. But, if your with Bear Grylls... even if you do some kick ass stuff. Even if you got it on video, alot of people are gonna call bull****. "Did you stay in the Hilton or the Ramada?" That would be my first take.

8:10 a.m. on February 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

My prob with cody lundin is the lack of shoes. He moves so slow, what if he had to run from something? Plus it limits his climbing, scrambling and determines where he has to walk. Sometimes cutting thru a pricker patch is the best, safest thing to do, he cant cause he forgot his damn shoes. Dave canterbury might have lied about his experiences but cody bugs me. Put some damn boots on, at least when its snowing. Joe Teti is a badass, a very good replacement for dave. In the desert cody is the man but everywhere else, not so much.

11:02 a.m. on February 13, 2013 (EST)
193 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Agreed. The barefoot thing is nuts. Beyond nuts. I was really jerked about the whole Dave deal. He had some killer views and takes on survival. Although the bee instance was just stupid. But, he should have been truthful. Teti is pretty extreme. I like him though. I'm glad they got the real deal to replace Dave. I know some of the stuff is set up, and staged to show the two conflicting points of view. But, I think its all around entertaining and more informative than most of the other shows in the same class. But, even Cody will tell you "Even though I'm on the show, it's still just TV man."  

11:22 a.m. on February 13, 2013 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Stingray, the English media certainly is not what it once was. More entertainment, less fact based. However, the discrepancies in Bear's claims are well documented on other sites as well. I have a good friend in WH who worked Bear's show in the north when he found an old canoe and tried to paddle it. Bear did stay in a hotel flown out by a helicopter on that show.

I worked as a director/cinematographer for nearly 30 years. Bear wants to entertain, otherwise there is no audience. Many years ago, Robert Flaherty was criticized during the making of Man of Aran when he had the men in the film do something in their curraghs that they had not done in a generation. He did it for dramatic effect and because he wanted to show a way of life that had really, even then, been lost.

In Bear's case my criticism is because it is a pseudo instructional survival show and implies that it is real.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply