Anyone try the Sweetwater Guardian water filter?

2:14 p.m. on May 23, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'm thinking about buying the Sweetwater Guardian water filter that is on sale at this time at REI. I would appreciate any feedback from any Guardian users. Thanks.

6:28 p.m. on May 23, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Rich

Quote:

I'm thinking about buying the Sweetwater Guardian water filter that is on sale at this time at REI. I would appreciate any feedback from any Guardian users. Thanks.

I have been using a Sweetwater Guardian for 1 season now and so far no problems. You need to brush the filter once in a while when water drips from the safety valve, but it's no big deal and it's just part of using this filter. I've been using a Safewater inline lately and on some trips Aquamira and like them both better than a pump filter.
Rich

11:18 p.m. on May 23, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Red

I have been using the sweetwater guardian for a few years and it's reliable and easy to use. Ditto the notes about brushing and the pressure relief valve. I have heard a rumour that they recalled them because the iodine filter didn't allow proper disinfection time at standard flow rates. This shouldn't really matter for most times as viruses aren't normally a worry (unless very heavy contamination).

Quote:

Quote:

I have been using a Sweetwater Guardian for 1 season now and so far no problems. You need to brush the filter once in a while when water drips from the safety valve, but it's no big deal and it's just part of using this filter. I've been using a Safewater inline lately and on some trips Aquamira and like them both better than a pump filter.
Rich

8:37 a.m. on May 24, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I know three friends that have it. It's ok but rather bulky. I don't like the way the lever is set up, seems too easy to break, but maybe that's an older model.
I have the PUR Hiker-Voyager, and use it all the time, no problems at all, ever.

Give it a look!

10:18 a.m. on May 24, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks guys for the help.

It appears that the Sweetwater is a good filter for the price and I think that I am going to buy it. Thanks for the help. Happy trails.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply