iphones and extreme cold

7:17 p.m. on December 17, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

how do they do when it's really cold - -20 to -50? will the screen or batteries get damaged?

my blackberry didn't work in that kind of cold unless i kept it in an internal pocket, next to my torso, in a small plastic or silnylon bag. 

8:10 p.m. on December 17, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Most of the devices with LCDs I have specify a minimum "storage" temperature above 0°F, although I have used some of them as low as -30 to -40°. Usually, the batteries get too weak to operate before that. In cold weather, I carry widgets that depend on batteries or have LCDs in a ziplock bag inside my layers. I have had built-in lenscovers freeze (my wife's Canon P&S at -30°C in Antarctica) or only open part way -
IMG_0069.jpg

But my Nikon D300s did fine in a storm in Antarctica at -40° with a bit of added windchill -

DSC_0095.jpg

And my Pentax W90 P&S worked just fine nearing the summit of Vinson (Antarctica) on a warm -25°C day.

IMGP0017.jpg

It seems to depend on the particular camera, the battery (lithium chemistry is much better than alkalines, NiCd, or even NiMH). In any case, protect it from the cold as much as possible. I have left one of my Nikon DSLRs in the tent on summit day while carrying a small camera to the summit, and found it worked just fine when I got back to camp after sitting 10 hours or so in the cold., albeit in the tent.

9:25 p.m. on December 17, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

ah, great reminder about my point/shoot.  it has a rechargeable lithium, hopefully OK.  

11:13 a.m. on December 18, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I haven't had my iPhone out anywhere near that cold, but it works fine in 0- -10f. Keep it in a pocket so it stays kinda warm and it should work fine for those few minutes here and there you need to use it I would think.

3:51 p.m. on December 18, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Bill S said:

I have had built-in lenscovers freeze (my wife's Canon P&S at -30°C in Antarctica) or only open part way -
IMG_0069.jpg

LOL! Had that happen with my Sony P&S but I didn't realize it was sticking until partway into the trip. Came home to discover that half my photos looked just like this!

My LG cell phone is worse, though - the battery craps out at 0°C unless I have it in an inside pocket.

4:40 p.m. on December 18, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

have an LG cell phone too. so far, no issues with the cold, but then 25 on mt laguna isn't really cold.

6:17 p.m. on December 29, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,396 reviewer rep
1,233 forum posts

Keep it next to hand warmer, works for me.

5:12 p.m. on January 9, 2013 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I just keep my phone as close to my body as possible during the day and in my sleeping bag(footbox) at night.

The battery in my phone is non-removable.

I also treat my camera batteries(3) the same way.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply