source of the oswegatchie??????

8:37 p.m. on May 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. katesdad

Exactly where is the sorce of the oswegachie river above high falls? is it navigable by canoe? Has it been done from source to st. lawrence river?

8:16 a.m. on May 13, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Exactly where is the sorce of the oswegachie river above high falls? is it navigable by canoe? Has it been done from source to st. lawrence river?

I've read about this in Paul Jameison's book, "North Flow" about canoeing the north flowing rivers of the Adirondacks. You can get the book from the Adirondack Mountain Club, www.adk.org

4:15 p.m. on May 22, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Gerry

You can paddle pretty easily to where the portage trail from Loew's Lake meets the Oswegatchie. I'm not exactly sure of dist. but would guess about 5-6 miles. There are a number of beaver dams and blow downs that must be carried over however--several years ago I counted over 20 on this stretch. Beyond the carry trail, you can paddle a bit further and then it peters out-maybe 1-3 miles. I haven't gone up there, but have talked to a friend who has. Very remote and pretty section of the river. Another great trip is to paddle to trail head (where bridge crosses river) about a mile below high falls and hike from there into the 5 ponds wilderness area--also very pretty and remote as well. Good luck and email me if you have more questions.

Quote:

Quote:

I've read about this in Paul Jameison's book, "North Flow" about canoeing the north flowing rivers of the Adirondacks. You can get the book from the Adirondack Mountain Club, www.adk.org

May 27, 2018
Quick Reply