morning hike in washington dc (maryland)

11:49 a.m. on April 5, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

there is something great about skipping work mornings and heading out.  what a great day in Maryland.  brilliant weather, virtually no one on the trails. turtles are out, a sign of spring.  

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

1:57 p.m. on April 5, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Leadbelly,

I started backpacking on the C&O Canal in 1962.  We started one trip in Georgetown.  DC was a small town then.  We would hike for days and not see another person.  Once we did 26 miles in one day.

2:11 p.m. on April 5, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

Pine:

we moved to this area in '98, to a location near the river in '99.  it's roughly an 11 mile bike ride from where i live to my office just adjacent to Georgetown -  have done that walk out and back a few times.

Today, i was on Billy Goat Trail parts A and B, both of which branch from the C&O towpath.  There are usually some people on the towpath these days; the trails tend to be pretty busy on weekends, pretty quiet on weekdays.  i saw 3 or 4 people on the trails today. 

8:47 p.m. on April 5, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

cool pictures. I like the turtle.

10:36 a.m. on April 6, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Leadbelly,

One of the great trips by you is to rent canoes on the Virginia side and paddle up the C&O Canal to Violet's Lock near Seneca and then paddle down the Potomac R back to the livery.  In 1968 I dreamed up the Senior Class Canoe Trip.  It was all guys, but we had the girls met us at the campsite with a pot luck supper.  People still talk about that trip.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply