Sonora pass opens today

8:27 p.m. on April 24, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

According to the Summer Ranger Station at Pinecrest Lake, Highway 108 will be open at noon today, from Kennedy Meadows all the way to Highway 395. That's great news, because it means we have access to all kinds of wonderful trails.  It's also vaguely disturbing to think that there is so little snow up there that this pass, at around 9,000 feet, is open in April.

9:57 a.m. on April 25, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,162 forum posts

Balz,

An indicator of things to come.  Great hiking season, bad fire season.

8:54 p.m. on April 25, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

On the bright side it should be a relatively easy Spring for creek crossings and going over passes :)

8:54 p.m. on April 25, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

On the bright side it should be a relatively easy Spring for creek crossings and going over passes :)

1:31 p.m. on April 28, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

too little snow...bad for the water picture and the fire situation.

7:27 p.m. on May 27, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Anyone know of some good places to backcountry camp for more than a single night near 108/120?

I'm under the impression a lot of the trailheads restrict to one night stays. Which isn't much fun at all. Already have a CA campfire permit.

10:50 p.m. on May 27, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

Of course.  If you are willing to hike a few miles, there are lots of good campsites in the Emigrant and Carson-Icerberg Wildernesses off 108.  And there are also some good car camping sites as well.

Backpacking sites:  Clark Fork, Lost or Sword Lake, Boulder Lake are all nice. We have trip reports on this highway on our website.

Car camping:  Eagle Meadows or Herring Creek road offer lots of options, and then there are the developed sites from Clark Fork up to Kennedy Meadows, along the upper reaches of the Stanislaus River.  On any but the busiest weekends, you should be able to get a site at most of these places

1:11 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

balzaccom said:

Of course.  If you are willing to hike a few miles, there are lots of good campsites in the Emigrant and Carson-Icerberg Wildernesses off 108.  And there are also some good car camping sites as well.

Backpacking sites:  Clark Fork, Lost or Sword Lake, Boulder Lake are all nice. We have trip reports on this highway on our website.

Car camping:  Eagle Meadows or Herring Creek road offer lots of options, and then there are the developed sites from Clark Fork up to Kennedy Meadows, along the upper reaches of the Stanislaus River.  On any but the busiest weekends, you should be able to get a site at most of these places

Supposed to go with a few folks, one I've only snow camped with once.  Hows the fishing prospects at lakes south of the Pass?  A two nighter, and I have not been in over the PCT there.

Duane

8:59 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

Best fishing is probably Poore Lake but it's not as pretty--a bit desert-like. And that's a day hike. I've caught lots of nice 9-12 inch brookies at Cinko Lake...Fremont Lake gets a lot of horse packers.

9:21 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Thank you.  Going in a couple more weeks.

Duane

5:39 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

catch some brookies for me!

7:13 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Will try.  I'll at least bring a small frying pan and a proper stove, whichever one that be, since I have so many.

Duane

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply