Walking or running in Crocs

6:44 p.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I have been walking in traditional walking shoes and the other day I put on my croc sandals and found that they are way more comfortable to walk in and I don't get the heel pain or toe pain. Is there a good croc shoe for walking? I was looking at the croc sneaker and wanted to get some feedback on these and how they perform for walking. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

8:47 p.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Amy 3 said:

the other day I put on my croc sandals and found that they are way more comfortable to walk in .......Is there a good croc shoe for walking?......

Hmm, what? They are comfortable to walk in, but you can't walk in them?

The traditional croc sandals and their shoes are a night and day difference.

Personally, i think Crocs are dangerous to hike in. Anything more than wearing around camp, quick trip to the potty, minor water crossings etc and your asking for trouble. If you want something like a croc, check out Keen sandals. I have a pair of the clearwaters that I absolutely love. They are airy and extremely comfortable, provide excellent support, stay on securely, and actually have a real sole and traction.

For what they are Crocs are great. But, since they don't stay on securely, and have essentially no traction to speak of, and have little support they are a poor choice to actually be hiking around in IMO.

9:06 p.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

We love our Crocs--but as per the Rambler above, we don't use them as a long distance trail shoe.  They are strapped on the back of our packs, and used only for stream crossings (very convenient) and for camp shoes.  WE love them as such, and aren't afraid to walk 1/2 mile around camp in them.

But under a pack, on a long trail?  I would be afraid that they would give out...and leave you with not alternative, and sore feet!~

8:42 a.m. on August 7, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,522 reviewer rep
893 forum posts

Amy,

You didn't say where you'd like to walk in them. Hiking trails? Or walking pavement?

I own 2 sets of non-dress shoes. My Birkenstock Arizonas are on my feet whenever I'm in town. My Merrell Moab Ventilators are my outside shoe. Love them both, but I'd solely wear the Birks if I could.

After looking around with hiking sandals, I realized I need better foot protection on trails. The same goes for Crocs.

3:01 p.m. on August 8, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

This is for paved pathways (roads, sidewalks, bike paths) I'm wondering if I should consider the croc sneaker for good support and sole of foot padding.

6:15 p.m. on August 8, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

i'm not familiar with Croc sneakers, so can't help there.  i wear crocs to cut the grass and walk the dog in the rain; comfortable, but i wouldn't like walking distances in them regularly.

If you like the cushy feeling and lack of structure you get with Crocs, you might like walking for exercise in some of the very lightweight, spongy-feeling running shoes that have become increasingly popular these days.  Nike Free or Lunaracer, New Balance Minimus, Inov-8 Road-X Lite, other of that ilk.  maybe Croc sneakers are similar.  any of these kinds of shoes are fine on paved road and smooth paths - my wife and daughters love the nike free running shoes. 

obviously need to try them on and see what fits.  some web sites (6pm.com for example) sell last year's models at pretty good discounts, especially if you aren't terribly concerned about what color they are.   

8:42 p.m. on August 8, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,522 reviewer rep
893 forum posts

Amy 3 said:

This is for paved pathways (roads, sidewalks, bike paths) I'm wondering if I should consider the croc sneaker for good support and sole of foot padding.

Birkenstocks!

You'll never regret that purchase.

8:51 a.m. on August 9, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

I actually wear a pair of the "Bistro" CROCS when I'm car camping and need shoes to walk around camp with. 

Closed-toed, waterproof and lightweight, they're nice.

Since the "bistro" shoes are made primarily for the food service and medical industries, they don't absorb odor and have non-slip soles with traction. However, this does mean they've so much tread it requires a lot of work to clean out all the little grooves once you're back home.

However, they offer NO ankle support whatsoever, nor do they start securely on the foot. Whether or not you actively and mindfully did, you'd have to keep adjusting your toes and feet to keep these on. 

Go with some lightweight KEEN sandals. I'm soon making the transition to them myself. They're lightweight and good for going in water, but will stay on securely and offer a lot more support.

1:54 p.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,286 forum posts

Crocs are great around the water and on boats. The live-aboard boat crowd was the first to make them popular. They are also great for gardening especially if it is wet. Not so great for hiking, but passable for hiking in streams.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply