Staying clean outdoors.

1:03 a.m. on September 5, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

http://youtu.be/m9TxfhhefeA

I do the same thing as in this video but use a Camelbak 3 liter bladder and let it warm in the sun for a few hours before use, to get the water warm.

5:43 p.m. on September 6, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

I don't use Camelbaks, so I usually bring a solar shower for longer trips.

Water from a lake or stream can be heated for a sponge type bath. I have bathed lots of times under a bridge with cars traveling past.

5:49 p.m. on September 6, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Water can be heated by the sun if it is in a large metal container painted black on the outside. I used to do this in the Grand Canyon with a large gallow juice can, I would leave it where the sun would hit it all day, go off on a day hike and come back to hot water.

6:51 p.m. on September 6, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

Gary, when I click on your link, I see a video of hiking Half Dome, shot with a GoPro, not a sunshower or Camelbak. Unfortunately, your post has been up long enough that you can't correct it there. But you can post a follow-up with the correct URL, if you can find it again.

9:31 p.m. on September 6, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Lets try it again, I will check it after I post it this time.

http://youtu.be/m9TxfhhefeA 

Yeah, its the right one! A good looking woman does the explaination how to shower in the woods.

6:29 p.m. on September 8, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

the first video isn't too bad either...I sponge bathe when I'm on trail. uses less water. 

9:24 a.m. on September 9, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

In my motorcycle camping days I'd use a black garbage bag loosely filled with water and set on a rock in the sun. Out west that seemed to work pretty well.

Now that I've moved east I carry some unscented, unoiled (not baby wipes!) sanitary wipes. I spend a lot more time in the rain than sun now heh.  Those wipes do a great job of cleaning without using any water and carry pretty light on the way in and out.

7:12 p.m. on September 9, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

I use my Camelbak for more uses than water to drink, I use it for a shower, as a pillow at night blown up with air, even with water in it and as a fire extinguisher. I like to try to make more than one use of things in my pack when I go as light as possible hiking and bike touring.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply