About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Don't Have a Bad Bear Day!

12:07 a.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

A sign by the Alaska State Parks

_DSC1066.jpg

quick link to larger size for readability

8:02 a.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,703 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

I once saw a sign that read:

Carry pepper spray.

Wear little bells.

Know the difference between Black Bear scat and Grizzly Bear Scat.

Black Bear scat is smaller, and filled with nuts and bears.

Grizzly Bear scat is larger, smells like pepper, and is filled with little bells.

8:58 a.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Thanks, Bill. Good information for anyone headed out into the bush. 

10:57 a.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Thank you for posting this, Bill, that's a brilliant use of graphic design, a lot of information presented very well.

I wish it also had advice about eye contact. For the vast majority of animals (not dogs, but almost all others) prolonged eye contact is aggressive and can't be interpreted otherwise. A staredown has to end in fight or flight.

The first thing I do when I meet an animal is make eye contact and close my eyes. Then I'll blink as slow as I can, looking away and back, keeping my head moving. It's the animal equivalent of the peace sign. "Here we are, and I trust you enough to close my eyes on you and look away," is what I'm saying. "I'm not afraid of you, and I'm not interested in attacking you."

Sometimes I'll back off, but honestly -- not always. Depends on the situation. The animal may well stare at me for quite some time, but eventually it'll either leave quietly, go back about its business as if I'm not even there, or approach me.

At this point, I assume it's just curiosity (some animals I meet rarely if ever see people) and not aggression, so I just keep doing what I was doing. Slow, calm, no staring. This has led to some profoundly rewarding moments. Including one with a mother black bear and her cubs.

But maybe this is bad advice to the unfamiliar, and I'm only getting away with it because I've got some experience with reading animal body language, plus I'm not a large male animal and not in a group?

Anyway, yeah. "Avoid eye contact." It's a human instinct, but it means something different to animals. I think people should be made aware of it.

11:34 a.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Great behavior and response flow chart! Very easy to follow and understand. 

1:02 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
863 reviewer rep
315 forum posts

I'm sure hoping I didn't need to read that, but thanks for posting it!

1:30 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Don't worry, LoneStranger. 95% of the time, you can think of bears as 'large ambling herbivores'. 

Then there's that other niggling 5%...

9:29 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

I saw that sign in a campground along the Glenn Highway in southeastern Alaska.  I agree, they did a great job of illustrating and presenting the info.

9:54 a.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,938 forum posts

When I was in Denali park a ranger friend told me about a man who he approached photographing a bear (grizzly) as his wife was offering it a sandwich from her hand. When he explained to them that the bear would have killed her they said they were used to feeding bear by hand back in Yellowstone, that was in 1978.

1:58 p.m. on September 13, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

yeah, want to make friends? feed the bear a sandwich! after all, they are just big dogs, aren't they? :)

2:46 p.m. on September 13, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,703 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

If you've read "A Walk In The Woods," Bill Bryson recounts a story of people putting honey on their baby's hand in order to take a picture of the bear licking the honey off. Instead, the bear allegedly bit off the baby's hand.

Bryson is given to embellishment. So take it for what it's worth...

9:56 p.m. on September 13, 2013 (EDT)
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

The only thing I would "feed" a bear is this ... 

(and I love how the label says "Not for use on humans") :)

_DSC1144.jpg

7:32 a.m. on September 14, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Gros Morne National Park has a two-armed fiord in it, Bonne Bay. The road around the bay twists around cliffs and plunges into coves like a roller coaster.  (So either treacherous or super fun to drive, depending. :D)

One day I drove into a sharply curved dip between blind crests to see cars and RVs parked along and on the road. Yes, on it. Holy road hazards, Batman.

I stopped to see what the hell, and people were gathered at the base of a tree taking pictures and reaching into the branches. Two tiny black bear cubs up there. "Where's their mother?" I asked. Blank stares.

I'd just come from work at Parks Canada, and was still wearing my uniform, so that helped. Cripes, people.

But we don't know what we don't know, I guess. Plenty of places in the world where I'd probably do something stupid and fatal right away. Still...

9:24 a.m. on September 14, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Parks Canada now has bear jam interpreters. Instead of moving people along, they try to keep people a reasonable distance from any animals, and they control the traffic flow. Better for the 'visitor experience', and it limits the amount of animal harassment, but the tourists will still stop smack dab in the centre of a lane and park their vehicle there while they get out to take pictures. 

10:50 a.m. on September 14, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Bear jam interpreters! Somebody had a good idea.

I think it would be hard to do that in a park like Gros Morne, though. It was superimposed on an area of tiny fishing villages connected by a) water and b) sled dog mail routes.

When the surveying and topographical work was eventually done, those old sled paths were almost always the best possible routes! (I think that's pretty neat.) Even so the terrain makes some of the grades and cliff-cuddling turns a bit nuts for a two-lane paved road with mostly no shoulders. You might have to drive a while to find a safe spot to pull over. It's a big park, too, and the bears, moose and caribou might show up almost anywhere. There are occasional Park road signs that say basically "no feeding, pull over safely, stay in your car."

Still, that's a really good idea, traffic-cop-interpreters. It makes me happy that some parks might actually have enough staff to do that.

(Another time...have I already told you guys these stories?...I found a nice couple trying to put their toddler on a moose's back for a picture.)

8:29 a.m. on September 15, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

One difference between Gros Morne and Jasper/Banff is the number of tourists. Bear jams are a regular occurrence during the summer months because of the large number of wildlife that can be seen near the main roads, and the larger number of tourists. 

2:51 p.m. on September 15, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,269 reviewer rep
317 forum posts

If bear switches from aggression to feeding fight back...that might be one of the most terrible things I have read in a while:-(

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply