Hiking near McCormick South Carolina

7:20 p.m. on September 25, 2013 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I am moving to McCormick South Carolina and am looking for trails in the south. Prefer loop trails since I usually hike alone but will do in and out trips. Thanks

7:34 a.m. on September 26, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Hey John,

I live near Charleston SC.

There are a lot of really great trails in the south, I would highly recommend the book HIKING SOUTH CAROLINA a Falcon Guide for trails in SC.

One of my favorite places to hike close to McCormick is the Ellicott Rock Wilderness area (north of McCormick in Pickens county), it has a nice trail network that lets you pick a route to suit you. Slightly south of that is the Chattooga Trail that follows the Chattooga river and leads into Ellicott Rock with several in and out routes possible.

There is also the gorgeous Foothills Trail that runs through Ellicott and continues more or less along the NC / SC state line for 85 miles or so. It also has in and out routes possible from various parking areas.

A good trail guide book is a must (in my opinion) for the southeast since so many trails are hidden for the most part.

I have to go to work now, but I'll be happy to talk with you more later,

Cheers

9:20 a.m. on September 26, 2013 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks Mike

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply