Very early snow has caught lots of PNWers flat footed

2:46 a.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
261 forum posts
11:44 a.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,258 forum posts

The record-setting dry weather in the PNW has made some people complacent. It is October already and sw WA is wet country. I have been snowed out of places like Crater Lake in early September. Up North it starts in late August.

12:24 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Three words:  Early Ski Season!!

Hope I don't jinx it. 

5:35 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,523 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Three words:  Early Ski Season!!

Hope I don't jinx it. 

I think the government has closed all skiing for the upcoming year. Heavy fines for enjoying snow--since it falls from government-owned airspace.

10:15 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

I have worked S&R in the nw every month of the year. While this year is not "normal", it doesn't surprise me that someone was "surprised" by the weather turn.

8:22 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,523 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

Out of curiosity, does the PCT have a more common direction for hiking? Most AT thru-hikers head northbound to avoid blackfly season and to save the hardest for last. Is this true with the PCT?

9:06 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Erich said:

I have worked S&R in the nw every month of the year. While this year is not "normal", it doesn't surprise me that someone was "surprised" by the weather turn.

Happens every year. I find if I get outdoors a lot, I'm expecting the colder nights and the snow when they arrive, and that my body is acclimatized earlier in the season. It's the guys who head out expecting the gear that worked for them back in August to work just as well in October who run into problems. 

9:47 a.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
173 forum posts

G00SE said:

Out of curiosity, does the PCT have a more common direction for hiking? Most AT thru-hikers head northbound to avoid blackfly season and to save the hardest for last. Is this true with the PCT?

Just like the AT people flip-flop or go southbound but more go northbound like the AT based on journals I have read

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply