About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Coyotes Attack Colorado Man

9:21 a.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts
9:51 a.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,009 forum posts

I carry a pistol out behinid the house when I take dogs with me. Coyotes can become brazen without hunting pressure. North of Reno theire were reportedly 18 dogs killed while being walked on leashes last year alone. The packs up there have learned behaviors to kill domestic animals. Attacks on people are unusual, but will continue to increase.

This is the time of year, when predtors tend to be the most aggressive in preparing for winter.

5:14 p.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

I live in the last development at the edge of Vegas. It is coyote country out there and they come in and kill the dogs around our area. I keep my dogs in at night...but there have been daylight killings as well.

5:28 p.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Here in rural Indiana, out just past the far edges of the suburban sprawl of Milwaukee--Chicago--Gary metroplex, the coyote population is pretty strong but not overly aggressive. Farther north into the suburbs, and even up in the urban areas, the coyote population is inserting itself and taking hold, and become more brazen.

Where I live we carry guns on our tractors and shoot them to control them when they get a bit too common, but they also provide a very valuable service by killing/controlling the feral cat population. Cats, often dumped in the rural areas by idiots who live in urban areas, are responsible for killing off both the song birds and the game birds. A few years back we had the feral cat population explode in our area and I was thankful that the coyotes took care of that scourge. It is now rare that I see a feral cat on my land, when I do, if I have a gun at hand, it risks getting shot.

A coyote in my fields or woods is safe, up near the house its a target. But that can be said about other animals that I share property with.

I'd rather live alongside, and generally in harmony with, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, foxes, groundhogs and deer than with feral cats that have been dumped on us by fools who refuse to take responsibility for their unwanted animals.

Everything in balance is good. Its only when one population gets out of balance that we have issues.

7:55 p.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Since the elimination of the wolf in many area's of the country, coyotes have seemingly taken over the niche of the dominate canine. I remember reading that in Yellowstone Park between the 1940's and 1996 when the wolves were gone, coyotes had taken over, once the wolf was re-introduced in 1996 the coyote had to revert back to its secondary role.

Its common for them to kill pets in many area's as food. 

9:56 p.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,590 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

I was thinking what Gary said...when you kill off the top predator, the next one down becomes top.

Melensdad, coyotes also help control mouse populations, which want to eat all that grain you're storing this time of year.

8:22 a.m. on October 18, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Melensdad, coyotes also help control mouse populations, which want to eat all that grain you're storing this time of year.

The various predator birds to a good job controlling the mice too. Its wonderful to watch the majestic birds on a hunt, we have a big red tailed hawk that lives in the trees behind the house. He watches over me when I am out mowing the field on the other side of the woods . . . probably actually looking for mice and other critters that are scurrying out of the way of the big spinning blades . . . but I see him looking down from his vantage point in a big dead tree on the ridge.

But like I said, I'm good with the coyotes out where they belong. Nature works in balance. A food source becomes too prevalent and you can bet the predators that feed upon them will grow in population too. But if you look at the biology of the predator vs the prey, the prey tend to live shorter life cycles. When the predators put things back into balance with the prey, the prey are gone but the predator lives on. That is why we see them moving into the suburbs and cities, and there is plenty of prey for a smart coyote there. It is also why they are becoming more familiar with HUMANS and consequently more brazen. If the cities and suburbs don't do something to control the coyotes then expect more attacks on humans.

1:14 p.m. on October 19, 2013 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I live in Boulder County and I can tell you that the coyotes have been much more active in the last couple years. I live near open space and we would see and hear them almost every night during the summer. To make it worse, people have been ignoring the dog leash rules and let their dogs run around making them vulnerable to attack. 

9:45 p.m. on October 19, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

Here in the Eastern U.S. and Canada the coyote is a relative newcomer. Unfortunately, as they migrated east they bred with the red wolf. Now we have few pure red wolf communities and much larger coyotes (averaging ten pounds larger than western strains). 

Fortunately, our coyotes have not adopted the pack hunting methods of their wolf brethren. We had one instance a few summers ago of two or three coyotes killing a healthy 19 year old woman on a popular hiking trail in Cape Breton. Even a crowd was unable to immediately drive them from their kill. The Park Service killed six coyotes but "only three could be conclusively linked with the attack by means of stomach contents."

see http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/natural-intelligence/Canis-Soup.html

Imagine a pack of such coyotes working together as wolves do.

5:00 p.m. on October 21, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

I'd worry about my pets getting tangled with one but that's about it.  My mastiff might be able to get away with messing with one but a pack would be trouble. 

For myself, I've been stalked by several coyotes while predator hunting (they thought I was a dying rabbit) but I have absolutely no fear of a beagle-sized dog hurting me. The list of animals which have killed more people than coyotes is long and includes such noteworthy killers as cows, horses, ticks and deer. 

Still, its never a bad idea to remember that we too are made of food.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply