About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

HIgh over Yosemite

11:00 a.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I've spent much of the last three weeks on the road, or rather in the air, traveling across the US.  And while I normally ask for (and get) an aisle seat, there were a couple of times when I sat by the window.  This last trip, on Sunday, took me from Chicago to SFO and flew right over the top of the northern part of Yosemite, from the north shore of Mono Lake to Hetch-hetchy.    I couldn't resist getting out my camera and taking a few photos.  If you want more detail, click on the photo and use the zoom option on Picasa.

1110130919.jpg

The first one is of Mono Lake and its islands.

1110130921a.jpg 

Then a shot of Young Lakes, McCabe Lakes, Mt. Conness, and Virginia Canyon, with Soldier and Return Lakes above it.

1110130923a.jpg

And then a shot of Hetch-hetchy  that shows Laurel Lake and Lake Vernon, where the Rim Fire appears to be finally and totally out.  No smoke at all. 1110130925.jpg

Finally, Lake Eleanor and Cherry Lake, showing a lot of the damage from the Rim Fire.

There are more photos here:  https://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/AirplaneOverYosemite2013#

10:23 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Not much snow yet!

10:54 a.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

There is no snowpack at all.  just a delicate dust of snow on N slopes

10:10 p.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

Balzaccom,

Bertrand Russell used to say that if you don't sit by a window on an airplane, you are not getting your money's worth.

I like to look at landforms from planes. It is always a geography test to recognize places from the air, especially those that you have only seen once or a long time ago. Thanks for the photos.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply