maintaining winter fitness?

10:25 a.m. on November 24, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
107 forum posts

per the subject line, how are YOU doing it?

I always feel like winter casually sabotages my fitness level...

it's not the cold that deters, rather the short days and lack of light

how are others managing?

I do what I can do, but compared to summer, i still feel soft.

ideas=welcome! :)

1:52 p.m. on November 24, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

I am doing a 4 month bicycle tour from Zion NP in southwest Utah through southern Nevada,Southern California,and into southern Arizona and back around through eastern Arizona and western New Mexico's Gila Wilderness, through northwestern N.M.southeastern Utah and its canyon country to where I am again next spring here 20 miles northeast of Zion NP. Not sure the mileage yet, but close to 1000-1500+/- miles. I will be on my Trek 9000 Mtn bike and living in my tent from Dec 2nd to March 31st. I just bought all new outdoor gear this past summer, a Campmor zero degree down sleeping bag, a Golite Shangri-la 5 tent, rain gear, long underwear, hiking and cycling shoes, wool socks, a new Big Agnes Air Core pad and a new(er mountain bike for touring. 

I tour for transportation and have been since 1982 when I was 26, I will be turning 58 halfway through this next tour. I have never driven a motor vehicle since I was 16 in 1972 when I had a 49cc Moped in high school.

I call them bike/hikes cause I bike through places I want to hike. This winter/spring I will be going to Zion first  to spend a few days day hiking, then on southwest to Mesquite NV and down along the Virgin River to the Valley of Fire State Park along the north shore of Lake Mead, then down to I-40 and southwest to Joshua Tree Nat Park, The Salton Sea, Slab City, Yuma,Gila Bend, Organ Pipe Nat Monument, Ajo, Tucson, Nogales, Patagonia/Sonoita State Park, Sierra Vista, Tombstone (OK Corral) Bisbee, Douglas, the Chiricahua Mtns, Wilcox, Lordsburg N.M. , Gila Cliff Dwellings Nat Mon, Reserve, Shiprock, Monument Valley, Natural Bridges UT, Goosenecks of the San Juan, Halls Crossing on northern Lake Powell, etc all the way around back to Orderville Utah where I have lived the last 7 months working/saving for this bike tour.

2:34 p.m. on November 24, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,994 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Hauling firewood, shoveling the drive and chasing The Tot through deep snow are always on the schedule.  I augment that with a simple 25 minute core workout in the living room with Mrs Stranger and various torture sessions in the basement on a recumbent trainer.  I don't go on tour like Gary but cycling is a great way to build/maintain endurance. 

8:31 p.m. on November 24, 2013 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I try to maintain my fitness by walking when the weather is fine, normally 2-3 times per week at 5+ miles per day.  I have also joined a gym, for when bad weather keeps me inside.  I use the treadmill, stationary bike, rowing machine and do a small amount of weight training. I find these maintain my fitness for the next season quite well.

11:18 p.m. on November 24, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
180 forum posts

Conversely, winter is my more active season. Summer time I do a lot of canoeing, but winter finds me backcountry skiing, snowshoeing and camping. The colder the better. Bringing in firewood, hunting and trapping tend to help, too. And, if all else fails I have a treadmill that I use 4 to 5 times a week. 

1:46 a.m. on November 25, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

I just bought a Concept 2 model B rower (older model). Coupled with our treadmill, and the bike trainer I will set up as the weather worsens (I live near Seattle), I rotate workouts indoors when it is too cold and rainy.

We also get out to Mt. Rainier to snowshoe several times during the winter.

I am finding that i am able to keep up pretty good workouts :)

7:39 a.m. on November 25, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

Winter is my more active season as well. If i am not hiking or backpacking i am shoveling snow or chopping wood etc. The seasons are what you make them.

1:37 p.m. on November 25, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

living in so cal I will hike through the winter (when it's not raining). probably do the santa margarita river a lot. 

4:13 p.m. on November 25, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

second gear said:

I just bought a Concept 2 model B rower (older model). Coupled with our treadmill, and the bike trainer I will set up as the weather worsens (I live near Seattle), I rotate workouts indoors when it is too cold and rainy.

We also get out to Mt. Rainier to snowshoe several times during the winter.

I am finding that i am able to keep up pretty good workouts :)

I have one too! I love it and do some of the team challenges on line to keep me competing to do more for myself.  I also have an Olympic bar and plates, kettle bells, bike trainer for my bike, battle rope etc so I can do cross fit training in my gym.

7:56 p.m. on November 26, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
178 forum posts

I'm in the Napa Valley--still riding my bike 300+ miles a month.  This month my average speed is 17.6--which includes stop signs, intersections, etc. 

6:53 a.m. on November 27, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,994 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

balzaccom said:

I'm in the Napa Valley--still riding my bike 300+ miles a month.  This month my average speed is 17.6--which includes stop signs, intersections, etc. 

Nice pace assuming you are out for an hour or two at a time.  I finish my annual bike rest next week and am actually looking forward to getting on the trainer.  Despite the fact that I'm an endurance Clydesdale I train for and enter the first couple of time trials in the Spring.  Luckily I have no pride because my times are terrible but it is a great training motivator all Winter long.

7:13 a.m. on November 27, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

Balzaccom, Lonestranger, 

Yes, cycling is a great way to keep the body going well into winter. My upcoming tour now has expanded to where I plan to tour 75% of the whole 4 months I have off from work. I will ride about 30-50 miles a day for about 115 days. Originally I was just going to ride down to my old winter grounds in Tucson AZ, then I decided I would go through the southwestern USA. Now I have made up my mind to live on my bike for most of the whole early Dec-late March time riding 5 states plus Utah twice in it SW and SE area's in the beginning and end.

I am only stopping in Slab City near the SE corner of the Salton Sea for a couple weeks around Christmas and New Years to spend it with another semi-retired friend who lives there in the winter where its warm. The first leg of my ride will take me about 10 days not including hiking stops along the way, starting with 3 days/2 nights in Zion NP this next early first week of December.

Just hope my new zero degree down sleeping bag is not too warm, but may unzip it down to the foot box and use it like a comforter in the southern deserts. I have been going to the Tucson area for the last 3 winters where days are in the 70's and nights are down to freexing.

3:13 p.m. on November 27, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
178 forum posts

Sounds like a great adventure!

Only one piece of advice.  When it comes to a comfortable seat on the saddle, cleanliness is next to godliness.  Clean shorts make all the difference!

4:30 p.m. on November 27, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

Been touring for 31 years fall, winter and springs since  1982. I ride about 3-6000 miles a year. I wear black shorts which hide discoloration. Not the spandex/shammy ones tho, just standard running shorts.

IMG_1458-Both-racks-on-bike-with-pannier

My Trek Mountain bike set up for touring. I have used the pail panniers since designing them in 2007. Made all four for about $80 and they hold 4-5 gallons each so plenty of room for almost all my gear. I strap my sleeping pad on top of the back rack and my rolled up backpack on the front one. The panniers are water proof and lightweight. I left the bails on them to make them easy to carry. When empty they make good seats,tables and water carriers from a stream.

6:15 p.m. on November 29, 2013 (EST)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

I hike year round. Cycling tends to diminish in the winter. Recumbent bike is a big plus when it starts getting dark earlier, ad u suppose a bike trainer would serve the same purpose.

Swimming also wanes in the winter. I substitute push ups, pull ups, sit ups/leg lifts and planks to maintain core strength.

10:57 p.m. on November 29, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Pretending like I'm still in high school and playing in a men's soccer league twice a week. Kinda feel like al bundy while I'm doing it... But oh well.

6:16 a.m. on December 3, 2013 (EST)
773 reviewer rep
680 forum posts

I try to take plenty of vitamin ski -- daily if there are good xc skiing conditions in the city forest near my house. This winter we're off to a late start, but there's a good dose of snow forecast in the second half of the week, so if we can just keep it this time we'll get our local ski season underway. There's also been a late start to winter in the Norwegian mountains, but we got in a little skiing (blog post by my daughter) the weekend before Thanksgiving, and the mtns got a ton of snow in the last few days while we got cold rain in the city. For me, vitamin ski is the antidote to the short days and long dark nights of the midwinter period here.

10:39 a.m. on December 3, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

hmmm.....fitness knowns no season

October 26, 2014
Quick Reply