Smokies case continues in Federal court...

5:09 a.m. on March 26, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts
5:39 a.m. on March 26, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

The link doesn't work Brought it over from Facebook..But what it comes down to the 4.00 fee claim was thrown out by the judge but the case is moving forward..What makes this such a pivtal case is the original deal by property owners said no fee's would be charged...

10:27 a.m. on March 26, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts
11:07 a.m. on March 26, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Yeah I thought this might be of interest to you and Gonzan and others in the area,,I know it is of interest to me as well..  Thanks for the Link fix Patman..

12:39 p.m. on March 26, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

I know some of the members of the Southern Forest Watch and one is actually a Trailspacer also.

Thanks for sharing the report Denis; I did not see this on the knoxnews website.

3:56 p.m. on March 26, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

I'm curious...is the reservation system exclusively online?...because then one could claim disproportionate cost...given that not everyone has equal access to the internet.

6:19 p.m. on March 26, 2014 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I probably should not admit this - but as much as I love the Smokies, I will most likely not hike there because of the fee. It seems wrong to me. Same thing for Big South Fork. 

I am all for money being well allocated in the Park System - but I pay enough and I have to draw the line somewhere. I'm just stubborn, I guess.

10:52 a.m. on March 27, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Joseph,

They prefer you to go on-line but you can still call-in or walk-in for a reservation. With a call-in the issue becomes printing an official copy. I've heard tell that just having the hand written permit number on your person would suffice if asked by a ranger but I've found no official verification of that.

Honestly, in the dozens and dozens of trips I've made to the Smokies over the years I can count on one hand the times I've seen a ranger in the back country…wait scratch that… I have seen a ranger one time in all these years. They are generally too busy patrolling roads and facilities to get out there (I think).

The Appalachian Trail is a different story because it is “patrolled” 9 months of the year by ATC (Appalachian Trail Conservancy) Ridge Runners. These guys are actually more like janitors than rangers. There are usually two of them assigned to the Smokies for all but the winter months. They walk from shelter to shelter, cleaning trash, doing light maintenance, refilling the compost bins for the composting toilets, etc…They are usually really nice folks. They will turn on their Park Service radios for a few hours at certain times of the day to check if they are needed for any SAR. They have no power to issue citations but if you piss them off they might radio in to the Park Service and let them know about it.

2:53 p.m. on March 27, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

Patman...thanks...I have a soft-spot for those on the other side of the technology divide...glad to see they can come play outdoors too:-)

10:41 a.m. on March 31, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I'm with hootyhoo on this one. I hiked in the park for years but I'm done. 

Pat, not only have I not seen a ranger, off of the AT, I've run into people camping at reserved sites (before the new system) on numerous occasions without reservations. 

7:58 p.m. on March 31, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,369 reviewer rep
742 forum posts

My issue is with fees to AT thru hikers. If this is left to stand, then government entities could be charging fees every step of the way.

10:58 a.m. on April 1, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

This reminds me of a talk we all had about the case out here in the West where the feds concluded that you could not charge a fee to enter the federal park itself, just for six enumerated things which included things like improved picnic areas, visitor center. This list appeared and still appears in the Federal Code. So I could take my lunch and sit next to the picnic table and no fee could apply. In the case at hand, AZ had charged to drive through the park if you happened to park. Slowing to a minimum crawl was often parking in their mind. It was a 9th circuit case, so you would think the park pass fee at least in the 9th would go away. I particularly was looking at Red Rock.. it charges to drive through no matter if you stop or not. They still do. Now, the Smokies fees are not federal, am I correct?

7:37 p.m. on April 1, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

giftogab said:

This reminds me of a talk we all had about the case out here in the West where the feds concluded that you could not charge a fee to enter the federal park itself, just for six enumerated things which included things like improved picnic areas, visitor center. This list appeared and still appears in the Federal Code. So I could take my lunch and sit next to the picnic table and no fee could apply. In the case at hand, AZ had charged to drive through the park if you happened to park. Slowing to a minimum crawl was often parking in their mind. It was a 9th circuit case, so you would think the park pass fee at least in the 9th would go away. I particularly was looking at Red Rock.. it charges to drive through no matter if you stop or not. They still do. Now, the Smokies fees are not federal, am I correct?

From what I gather their Federal fee's...

2:36 p.m. on April 21, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

denis daly said:

giftogab said:

From what I gather their Federal fee's...

Fed fees in my example as well...

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply