Trail Magic? No, Trailspace MAGIC!

5:34 p.m. on June 13, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
944 reviewer rep
146 forum posts

Something very, very special happened to me yesterday, and a great big heartfelt thank you is in order...

I have been hopelessly buried in work these days; so much that I have been pretty inactive with Trailspace, as well as with the trails themselves. Things are beginning to look up, however. I have spent quite a bit of time here over the last year-ish or so, and have made quite a few acquaintances along the way. I cannot express how this 'space' has helped me along, and this recent experience MUST be shared with this AMAZING community.

I, like many of us, am on a pretty tight budget. With limited free time, and even more limited resources, have been working to expand the months I can be out in the backcountry. Winter. Here is where, like my norwegian heritage, I look to the wilderness for solace. As I have been researching and learning how to wisely make purchases for backpacking in winter, several challenges immediately have presented themselves. Primarily for me, two. Finding an adequate winter shelter and sleeping bag pose a very (VERY) expensive challenge. I have a pretty down-pat system overall, but without these crucial items, winter camping just doesn't happen.

A very involved member of the Trailspace community and I have been in touch over the last several months, and was going to help me out with the shelter I have been lacking. I had inquired about purchasing a used four-season tent this past winter, and things looked hopeful. To my surprise yesterday, I received a Hilleberg Staika in the mail. Free. No strings attached (except the guy lines). Someone I have never met, only spoke with on this site here and there, found the kindness to practice some VERY REAL Trailspace magic. I would love to share your name right now ****, but want to respect your good deed (and anonymity).  

This is but one example of how this community is much, much more than one just reviewing gear, but part of a love for the outdoors, and fellowship. 

Thank you ****, and thank you Trailspace!!!!!!

Sláinte

6:28 p.m. on June 13, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
400 forum posts

What a nice story.  Enjoy and pass on the magic when you get the chance though I bet you won't be passing that tent on any time soon :)

7:00 p.m. on June 13, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

Woah! This is amazing.

11:38 a.m. on June 14, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
785 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

After a week of overwhelming bad news of 2 school shootings being uncomfortably close to home and the uprising in Iraq, it's nice to finally read some good news. Thanks for sharing.

1:12 p.m. on June 16, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Wow, that is a wonderful story, Sean! Thanks so much for sharing it, even if you can't share that member's name.

I'm sure you'll pass on the good deed to someone else in some way in the future.

Enjoy your tent!

10:59 a.m. on June 17, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Very generous, thank you for sharing.

Duane

12:13 a.m. on June 18, 2014 (EDT)
104 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

That's what it's all about!! Great to hear and a good deed for sure.

1:45 p.m. on June 23, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
363 forum posts

I like this story:-)...and very thoughtful of you to note it on the forums Sean!

11:33 a.m. on June 24, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
906 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

What a nice story.  Enjoy and pass on the magic when you get the chance though I bet you won't be passing that tent on any time soon :)

I agree this is totally cool.  I've met more than one Angel through the years (I'm sure we all have).  As LS said, I think the key is to keep that good deed going in the years to come.  That kind of thing makes lives a little bit better for all of us.

Personally I like to help with the Scout groups I work with.  Anytime I see a Scout that does not have a full or proper kit I'll ask the parent(s) if I can participate.

Pay it forward!

1:59 p.m. on June 26, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Wow, that it very, very cool! 

I don't know who the generous fellow member was, but tip my hat and say good on ya' mate! 

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply