Guy line damage

2:25 p.m. on July 9, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
173 forum posts

Anyone else had this issue?

After the first night of our first trip with our brand new tent, I was packing up the tent when I noticed that one of the guy lines for the tent looked odd—frayed, frazzled, and worn. 

The only explanation was a rodent chewing away on it, hoping to capture some of the fibers for a nest? 

Wild. 

We’re just happy that the little guy (yuck yuck) didn’t eat all the way through and send the tent collapsing around our ears.  Stands up to gale force winds, rain, hail…

Brought down by a chipmunk.

4:01 p.m. on July 9, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

Take a plastic drinking straw and slide it over the frayed section then heat it with a match or lighter to shrink it around the guy line to strengthen the area. 

8:05 a.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Maybe to get the salt from your sweat which was left on the line?  I have had shoelaces chewed up at home - not the shoes, just the laces.

1:52 p.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
173 forum posts

They were brand new lines.  No sweat.  Honest.

2:54 p.m. on July 12, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

Haha, doesn't surprise me one bit.

Although I have never had this particular problem, I have had quite a few rodent gnawing incidents. The most recent was this past winter - something chewed a hole in one of my backpacks external pockets to get at a trail bar I had packed away there.

My bad, I should have known better, and the little critter ate about a half inch of the bar  through the small hole it had made.

I have also had raccoons chew on plastic coolers when car camping.

I guess nothing is really off limits to these little guys huh?

8:34 a.m. on July 13, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

In Alaska during my bicycle tour across the state I had a bear or porcupine eat on my spare tire. 

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply