Charmin’ lilies ---can and do bloom anywhere

2:22 p.m. on August 11, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
932 reviewer rep
1,327 forum posts

Bill S made a comment about charmin lilies in another thread and it made me think of this gross story to relate:

Many years ago I was camping at site 13 in the GSMNP and was alone for the evening but had passed many groups that stayed there the night before (maybe longer who knows). During the evening I was visited by wild boar that kept their distance while I was up and moving around but I could hear them grunting and rooting around after I bedded down.

The next morning I got up to answer the call, and to my great dismay, discovered that charmin lilies had bloomed overnight……everywhere. They were all around my tent and all over the camp site; literally dozens of them everywhere I looked. It was as if little poop and toilet paper landmines had been set-off during some desperate escape and left little dirt mounds and small holes with white tissue blast debris.

I was astounded that people will poop right in a camp site and all over the camp site. The thought that kept striking me was “man, you’ve hiked this far….can you not go 100 feet more into the woods?”

Chances are we’ve all pitched our tent, sat, made a meal, took a break, laid down, put some item on, or otherwise unknowingly come into contact with human feces in the backcountry.

Uh….you’re welcome?

9:33 p.m. on August 11, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

Nice....

I guess that is one benefit to doing trips in the wilderness areas around here....

Fields like that exist at the more popular sites in GSMNP...

There is one on the northwest corner of bone valley and hazel creek right near 84 that sits up on a small hill then flattens out like an old homesite....

Cause that's what it was...

And when one hikes alone, like I tend to do, gotta occupy the time and figure out nicknames for these fields----crappers corner, poopers paradise, sh*tters alley.......the list is endless...

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply