You thought Lyme Disease was bad

10:55 a.m. on May 31, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,275 reviewer rep
5,968 forum posts

Tick season is in full flow these days. Lyme disease was originally discovered in the area around Lyme, Connecticut, but now has spread across the continent (we have it in Northern California, though it is still rare).

But now, there is POW!. POW is short for Powassan virus. It is apparently passed by deer and other ticks.

Here is an article about this very nasty disease.

"With no treatment available, half of all people who contract the virus suffer permanent brain damage; 10 percent die. And while POW is nowhere near as prevalent as that other tick-borne summer scourge—Lyme—it is starting to show up more often."

If you are going into tick territory, wear long-sleeved clothes and use repellents. Check your dog. And maybe you don't really want to go deer hunting - seems deer are one of the major carriers.

11:15 a.m. on May 31, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,551 reviewer rep
1,365 forum posts

Pickling kills all that bad stuff, right? Should I not make my famous pickled-tick-encrusted venison burgers this year?

7:37 p.m. on May 31, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,856 forum posts

Bill S said:

"..POW is short for Powassan virus. It is apparently passed by deer and other ticks.

Here is an article about this very nasty disease.

"With no treatment available, half of all people who contract the virus suffer permanent brain damage; 10 percent die. And while POW is nowhere near as prevalent as that other tick-borne summer scourge—Lyme—it is starting to show up more often."..."

Well that sounds like a more respectable excuse for my mental decrepitude than abusing controlled substances, but will the wife and friends believe it?

pillowthread said:

Pickling kills all that bad stuff, right? Should I not make my famous pickled-tick-encrusted venison burgers this year?

Yes, pickle your burgers in DEET, and wear bug netting and a condom while eating them; that should do it...

Ed

11:15 a.m. on June 2, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,671 reviewer rep
1,128 forum posts

After reading this thread here I found an article in the Portland paper saying they've found two cases of this here in our area already. Sounds pretty grim since all it takes is a quick bite to infect.

Thankfully I'd just placed an order the other day so we are prepared to do what we can in this battle.

DSC01355a.jpg

11:59 a.m. on June 7, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,970 reviewer rep
1,619 forum posts

Please tell me this isn't in the Pacific Northwest yet

1:24 p.m. on June 7, 2017 (EDT)
2,337 reviewer rep
841 forum posts

The range and type of tick-born diseases (TBDs) is growing every year...in my field (natural resources) it is a constant safety issue.  This sounds much more serious than other TBDs.  One of our senior biologists has not been able to eat mammals or mammal products (including any dairy or byproduct or chicken cooked on the same grill as other meats) for over 10 years due to the Alpha-gal allergy transmitted by Lone Star ticks.  Several others in our field locally have long term issues with Lyme disease.  Permethrin like LS uses is about the only treatment that really works whether regularly treating your own, buying Insect Shield or other brand, or sending clothes to be treated for longer usage.  Since using it, we have reduced tick bites in our company by over 90% (anecdotal evidence with no real science behind it!).  Take this stuff seriously...its not going anywhere soon and likely to get worse!

8:02 a.m. on June 9, 2017 (EDT)
2,337 reviewer rep
841 forum posts

BTW...the take this stuff seriously comment was not directed at you Ed or Vince...just a general statement...but hold the ticks on my venison burger if you please!

4:19 p.m. on June 10, 2017 (EDT)
5,671 reviewer rep
1,128 forum posts

FlipNC said:

The range and type of tick-born diseases (TBDs) is growing every year...in my field (natural resources) it is a constant safety issue.  This sounds much more serious than other TBDs.  One of our senior biologists has not been able to eat mammals or mammal products (including any dairy or byproduct or chicken cooked on the same grill as other meats) for over 10 years due to the Alpha-gal allergy transmitted by Lone Star ticks.  Several others in our field locally have long term issues with Lyme disease.  Permethrin like LS uses is about the only treatment that really works whether regularly treating your own, buying Insect Shield or other brand, or sending clothes to be treated for longer usage.  Since using it, we have reduced tick bites in our company by over 90% (anecdotal evidence with no real science behind it!).  Take this stuff seriously...its not going anywhere soon and likely to get worse!

OMG I had no idea that was a thing. That sounds more horrifying to me than 10% mortality rate.

3:13 p.m. on June 13, 2017 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
848 reviewer rep
3,807 forum posts

As LoneStranger noted, Powassan has been confirmed here in Maine.

On top of that, the ticks are very plentiful this year. We've been finding them since early May. We're trying to stay ahead of it all with daily tick checks, but it is not fun.

To further complicate matters, Pow may be transmitted in less than an hour (yikes).

Here's some more info:

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/31/two-cases-of-powassan-virus-confirmed-in-maine/

http://mainepublic.org/post/researchers-urge-caution-powassan-virus-spreads-ticks-along-coast#stream/0

http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/infectious-disease/epi/vector-borne/powassan/index.shtml

11:10 a.m. on August 9, 2017 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

I used to live in East Lyme, Ct.

Never knew what a tick looked like until I moved to Florida.

Here, at night you can hear them falling out of the trees - sounds like drizzling rain.

10:00 p.m. on August 10, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
841 reviewer rep
746 forum posts

Ed G said:

I used to live in East Lyme, Ct.

Never knew what a tick looked like until I moved to Florida.

Here, at night you can hear them falling out of the trees - sounds like drizzling rain.

Screw that!

7:36 a.m. on August 11, 2017 (EDT)
2,337 reviewer rep
841 forum posts

I have had days doing natural resource work in the coastal plain of NC where you can get literally hundreds of them especially swarms of the seed ticks as we call the little pinhead sized ones. Permethrin treatment of my field gear has reduced this problem to a nuisance. They still try to climb on board but quickly change their little minds for the most part.

October 17, 2017
Quick Reply