A letter to the editor

2:54 p.m. on September 4, 2017 (EDT)
874 reviewer rep
240 forum posts

From the Manchester (NH) Union-Leader, June 8 2017.

The trails in the White Mountains are a disgrace.

7:02 p.m. on September 4, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,875 forum posts

LOL.  Obviously flatlander hikers.  I bet they had neither trekking poles or a staff;)

They forgot to mention making all trails ADA accessible, and necessity of installing guard rails up-stream of all water falls to prevent those having no business being there from wandering into the streams and getting swept.

Ed

8:02 p.m. on September 4, 2017 (EDT)
23 reviewer rep
234 forum posts

I am not at all familiar with the trail she mentions.  Her comments would be appropriate if she were discussing the typical NPS "nature trail.' typically a quarter mile or less, but if she is discussing anything in even moderately wild country, she is way off base.  Hand rails would probably be unacceptable in a wilderness setting..

8:52 p.m. on September 4, 2017 (EDT)
874 reviewer rep
240 forum posts

The friend I was visiting this weekend showed that to me and I just couldn't believe it. It made the following review from the AllTrails app seem less ridiculous. 

IMG_0280.png

IMG_0281.png

9:50 p.m. on September 4, 2017 (EDT)
90 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

While walking down the sidewalk and texting I stumbled on uneven concrete and nearly spilled my mocha latte.  I understand their plight, my heart breaks for those poor souls forced to walk on an actual trail on an actual mountain.  

12:27 a.m. on September 5, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,875 forum posts

The alltrails critique is comparing the AT with the PCT.  The problem with their POV is both trails vary greatly in how civil or rustic a given section of pathway may be.  I will attest the PCT have parts easy walking as a garden path, and other parts consisting of little more than a string of ducks and cairn across boulder fields.  Thus I assume the PCT hikers have only seen the more accommodating sections of the route as some sections of the PCT are every bit as rustic as trails of the White Mountains.  And I assume the hikers from Alabama also haven't been on trails that negotiate challenging terrain.

As for guard rails around streams, they do exist in national parks such as Yosemite and Zion.  These railings are not in the wilderness of these parks, or lands officially designated as true wilderness; nevertheless where they are installed there their presence is disconcerting and shockingly out of place.

Ed

12:33 p.m. on September 5, 2017 (EDT)
874 reviewer rep
240 forum posts

All I can imagine is that none of the writers have ever been above the treeline or even understand just what that means, that without trees and other vegetation to anchor the soil everything above around 4400' in the Whites is exposed rock for water in its various forms to act upon. Except where krummholz is present, of course. 

12:55 p.m. on September 5, 2017 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

Guess they will complain that they don't have a Starbucks on the trail next.

are we allowed to tell them that these places were specially designed so we could get away for those people?

1:06 p.m. on September 5, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,377 reviewer rep
861 forum posts

Try Mahoosuc Notch.

4:55 p.m. on September 5, 2017 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
11,286 reviewer rep
1,341 forum posts

whomeworry said:

They forgot to mention making all trails ADA accessible, and necessity of installing guard rails up-stream of all water falls to prevent those having no business being there from wandering into the streams and getting swept.

Ed

This article was posted in 2000:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20000816&slug=4037127

When I was at Camp Muir (on Mt. Rainier) in 2015. The "outhouse" was nowhere near finished and had already cost taxpayers more than a million dollars in construction costs.  

4:56 p.m. on September 5, 2017 (EDT)
11,286 reviewer rep
1,341 forum posts

John Starnes said:

Guess they will complain that they don't have a Starbucks on the trail next.

are we allowed to tell them that these places were specially designed so we could get away for those people?

Cavers often joke about getting to the Starbucks at the bottom of the cave. 

5:05 p.m. on September 5, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,991 reviewer rep
1,941 forum posts

Madison Gulf or Huntington Ravine, too. 

8:55 p.m. on September 5, 2017 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

:) 

11:17 p.m. on September 5, 2017 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,776 forum posts

40 years of hiking? where city parks? thanks for the laughs LOL

5:26 a.m. on September 6, 2017 (EDT)
874 reviewer rep
240 forum posts

That's what I was thinking, 40 years of carrying your kids & grandkids around paved or gravel walking paths in their Gerry baby carriers is not backpacking LOL

10:43 a.m. on September 6, 2017 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
615 reviewer rep
1,178 forum posts

It's so true. Regional differences in trail construction are huge. I met a couple on the Long Trail who were fit, serious hikers from CA. The were used to well-graded trails and planned to do 30 miles a day in Vermont. Nope. Crushed after 10 miles, we all shared some whiskey and commiserated.

8:01 p.m. on September 6, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

LOL

NH IS the Granite State! Boulders are the chief crop. And you can step into an ice-storm above treeline on many of our hills, even in June. 

The strangest part of the critiques above is that the "hikers" were offended by a natural example of Nature. How would they handle going off-trail? (Actually, we know the answer to that as the NHF&G budget is always strained by SAR rescues in our hills. Most of these are unnecessary rescues of unprepared hikers.)

12:08 p.m. on September 8, 2017 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,776 forum posts

Seth your making to much sense...Its close to the weekend so were close to all becoming normal people again by getting out and not being Crumudgeons lol

3:24 p.m. on September 8, 2017 (EDT)
11,286 reviewer rep
1,341 forum posts

denis daly said:

Seth your making to much sense...Its close to the weekend so were close to all becoming normal people again by getting out and not being Crumudgeons lol

I'm leaving for the Boundary Waters in 35 minutes. Just waiting to punch the time clock at work!

1:19 a.m. on October 22, 2017 (EDT)
248 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

I find that most trails on the East Coast are brutal.  You think they never heard of a switchback.  But it is what it is, you just have to keep moving up...

11:10 a.m. on October 22, 2017 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,959 forum posts

Always remember that a lot of the people that write articles are journalists. They don't have much experience and most of them do not write that well either. 

2:18 p.m. on October 22, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
841 reviewer rep
756 forum posts

I did a little checking on the internet for the person writing the letter to the editor.  She's a medical doctor for arthritis.  There were some people commenting on her facebook page about it. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mary-Altz-Smith-MD/553111791535909

https://health.usnews.com/doctors/mary-altz-smith-397979

4:39 p.m. on October 22, 2017 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

My ? Is why do we have to explain the difference between car camping, walking on a park trail verses going backpacking to a doctor who has at least 8yrs of higher learning? Heck she has 40yrs backpacking with a book bag on a college campus And she wants handrails a butler and tea served promptly at 10am. 

All that money spent to look so incredibly ignorant or foolish if you prefer. She probably wants NASA to put up shades cause the moon is so bright when she's trying to sleep

11:51 a.m. on October 25, 2017 (EDT)
278 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

I don't know what to think of people.  I visited the Grand Canyon and overheard seemingly intelligent people complain there wasn't fence to protect people from falling in.  I mean, it is a couple hundred miles long.  That is a lot of fence...

November 23, 2017
Quick Reply