zip-in or not zip-in ?!

12:12 a.m. on March 3, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Yegor

I would like to hear what the big guys think about zip-in layering? Does anyone find down, fleece (insulation layer) helpful when it zips in? Or is it junk? Share some opinions with me. Thanks! (I just bought an Sierra Designs G3 shell, and it doesn't have insides zips to zip in insulation: so i'm thinking whether to be dissapointed or happy?...lol)

9:00 a.m. on March 3, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I would like to hear what the big guys think about zip-in layering? Does anyone find down, fleece (insulation layer) helpful when it zips in? Or is it junk? Share some opinions with me. Thanks! (I just bought an Sierra Designs G3 shell, and it doesn't have insides zips to zip in insulation: so i'm thinking whether to be dissapointed or happy?...lol)

I used to have a north face shell with a zip in fleece liner. At first I thought this was a great feature, but I have since changed my mind. With a fleece zipped in it is difficult to take off just the shell. This defeats the purpose of layering. Eventually I quit zipping the fleece into the shell. Then I realized another benefit of the non-zip lining, the fleecs fits closer to your skin and you have improved mobility since the shell moved frictionlessly over the fleece. Another bad thing about the zip in liner is that you now have the added weight and bulk of an extra zipper.
I have since sold off the north face shell and fleece and bought a new REI shell (non-zip also) and I wear it over an arc'teryx fleece. This system is in my humble opinion much better than my old north face system. It is lighter, allowed for a greater range of motion, and easier to work with.
How do you like the G3 shell, that is one of the jackets I considered buying, but I couldn't find a local retailer cho carried it and I couldn't find much info on online anywhere. Hope this helps

Will

2:02 p.m. on March 3, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

not zip-in

Zip-in is good if you want a warm waterproof jacket to totter around town in, but you might as well get something less technical if this is all you need it for. For backpacking and other more technical stuff I would have to agree with Will that it is not a good feature. I to was dissallusioned of this fact a while ago. Zip-in makes the jacket heavier, layering more difficult, and restricts your insulation choices if you think you must have it.

Happy Being,

Daniel

P.S.
My sister got a G2 parka for her 7 month trip to Scotland and she loves it, so I suppose those shells are pretty good.

6:27 p.m. on March 3, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Zipitty-doo-dah!!

I go both ways in my layering, no-zip is definately more adaptable and easier to deal with/lighter on the trail...My favorite light fleece jacket just happens to zip into my shell, so I can do that or use the heavier liner that came with it for snow camping...I haven't noticed a difference in warmth from zip in/not zipped in, but I always try to get the best fit I can for that kind of stuff..How well it fits can greatly effect how warm you stay.

6:34 a.m. on March 11, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Quote:

I used to have a north face shell with a zip in fleece liner. At first I thought this was a great feature, but I have since changed my mind. With a fleece zipped in it is difficult to take off just the shell. This defeats the purpose of layering. Eventually I quit zipping the fleece into the shell. Then I realized another benefit of the non-zip lining, the fleecs fits closer to your skin and you have improved mobility since the shell moved frictionlessly over the fleece. Another bad thing about the zip in liner is that you now have the added weight and bulk of an extra zipper.
I have since sold off the north face shell and fleece and bought a new REI shell (non-zip also) and I wear it over an arc'teryx fleece. This system is in my humble opinion much better than my old north face system. It is lighter, allowed for a greater range of motion, and easier to work with.
How do you like the G3 shell, that is one of the jackets I considered buying, but I couldn't find a local retailer cho carried it and I couldn't find much info on online anywhere. Hope this helps

Will

Hey Will. Thanks for sharing that with me. Sorry for the long wait, i'm keeping busy. I just came back from a 3 day skiing trip in Ural Mountains. I have been wearing G3 not since very long ago, but i can tell the following:
1. I heard that G3 fabric does not stand high winds and you can feel the wind coming through. - That is false. When skiing, i tracked my speed down hill - it was about 35 m/h (plus wind itself),(i used GPS), and the fabric does excellent, like gore tex in my opinion. I felt a bit of air coming through some place, like fron zipper or extremity vents on such a high speed, maybe it was coming from bottom of the jacket though (it does not have a powder skirt)or through unzipped vents on the arms. Anyway, i found it not significant and i can assure the fabric itself does not allow air through, just like water. Excellent DWR coating too. I tell you what, it breathes rather well, after walking with a pack on for a while, if you touch your back (where it heats up big time), you can sense the surface of the jacket gets damp. The fabric is lightweight, no or little unnessesary seams, excellent stretch panels. When making my way through the tight woods, i found out the fabric is strong itself, cause i hit many bushes and trees. It has fleecy chin guard. I consider SD G3 as a rather humble and technical jacket and am very pleased. Check http:\www.sierratradingpost.com - i bought it there for about $70.
God bless,

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply